Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice Needed - Choosing to proceed or wait?

I'm currently in the pre-op stages of getting weight loss surgery. I have done all the pre-op tests and have been cleared to get a date assigned.

The only thing now is that I haven't made the final decision to go through with this. The reason for this uncertainty is the following:

I started to work on changing my eating habits and to work on nutrition and getting more physical activity in since back in January 2016. I have successfully lost around 120 lbs up to this month of September. My doctor and others have mentioned that perhaps working on losing more weight on my own with the habit changes I have been making should be something I should continue, and to post-pone surgery for a few more months to see how much more weight I can lose on my own.

This is where I am stuck. I'm struggling with deciding whether to try to lose more weight on my own as I have been doing and wait several more months for the surgery, or to go ahead and proceed with setting a date and having the surgery done sooner.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice regarding this thought process I am having? Did anyone have similar second thoughts or decide to wait longer before having surgery?

Thank you all for your support :)

Sent from my LG-H830 using the BariatricPal App

I can't tell you what to do, but can only speak on myself. I have been very successful in losing weight several times throughout my life losing around 100 pounds to only gain it back. Since February I have lost 60 pounds with the Mediterranean diet and walking. I've had those same thoughts myself about continuing to diet and not moving forward with the surgery. I will be getting the surgery because I know my track record and want to utilize the tools (WLS) provides to help me be successful for the rest of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I started my journey January 2016. I was dead set against Bariatric surgery. I lost 50 lbs. I was approved and got a surgery date. After much consideration and discussion with my team I decided to have VSG. It is another tool I use and I'm glad I didn't put it off.

It is up to you. Do keep in mind that there is an expiration date on all of your pre-op testing. My surgery was delayed for financial reasons so I had to complete a lot of pre-op testing twice. That added more time and more expense to the process.

The good thing is that by the time my date rolled around I was more than ready.

In my opinion, the major benefit to having surgery is that it works so much better than all of my pre-op weight loss attempts. By the time I had surgery it was almost impossible to just maintain my weight my metabolism was so broken with yo-yo dieting. I was one "diet" away from 600 pounds. I knew the next bounce would put me over the top and I was practically housebound and immobile.

Now, post-op, my efforts give me results.

If you are happy with the results by doing this on your own, my guess is that if you have surgery you will be thrilled with the results of the same amount of effort. The sleeve has really made a difference for me.

Best of luck with your decision.

I suggest looking at your patterns. Is this the first time you've really comitted to changing your life with weight loss or have you done it several times before and gained it back. For me I have a life history of gaining and losing with always going back to the. Gaining. I'm done with that. I think it's wonderful that you've done so well. There are so many factors in this decision, age, health issues, quality of life and history. Best wishes and great job.

@@icyblufrz88

I completely understand how you feel. I lost 99 pounds over the past six-months using a low carb/high protein/high healthy fat diet. Even though I was fulfilling all of my obligations to have insurance pay for the sleeve, I still had a little voice in the back of my head that was saying "you can do this without surgery." Then it hit me; even at 99 pounds down, I still need to lose another 100-110 pounds. When I met with my PCP in late August for my surgery clearance testing, she and I talked about it, and she agreed that surgery WAS necessary. I've lost this kind of weight 3 other times in my life, and I always gain it back. The sleeve will be a tool that helps me in the second half of my weight loss journey, and, most importantly, that helps me to maintain a healthy weight when I get where I need to be.

I got sleeved on Wednesday afternoon. I still feel like crap today, but I know that it is going to get better and better.

I wish you the best, and I hope that my experience can be helpful as you make you decision.

Blair

I suggest u have the surgery the reason why is u might gain it bk dealing with weight its a struggle just use the tool because u already on the rt track don't let this tool pass u by

Do it anyway, I've yoyo'd before down 69,up 35 cause I was sick from loss, down 13 in a month etc. I'm going forward and you should too. I'm weight erratic, new term I made up, I need to lose stablely and start. A better life for all my remaining time on earth.???????? No more ???? all the time just liquid. Thicker puree and softer and more veggie foods. Join me?

Sent from my S55 using the BariatricPal App

First of all, absolutely congratulations on your amazing weight-loss so far! That is a tremendous achievement.

I'm in a similar situation, icy, at least in terms of the decision that has to be made… I've dropped over 40, and am working with a trainer. Just got my date today... Boy I'm conflicted!

This is one of the hardest decisions to make - and make again. It is real, and serious. On the one hand we are going to do damage to our bodies and forever change how it works and our physiological relationship to food… (ice already changed my emotional relationship to food)

On the other hand, it's impossible to predict how hard it will be to keep this weight off.

In fact, the lifestyle change you're making now is exactly the same lifestyle change you're going to have to make anyway. And keeping it off will be just as hard with the surgery, as without it.

I'm looking at it this way:

The surgery will let me lose 70 or 80 more pounds that I may not realistically be able to do on my own… But it comes at the cost of my body being permanently altered. Is it worth it?

So, I'm still struggling… I'm super interested to hear how you're doing, and what is influencing your decision.

I can only speak for myself, but what the surgery did for me was to push a reset button on my relationship with food. I was successful losing weight the months before the surgery. Just as I had before so many times in my life. Having the surgery allowed me to rebuild my food profiles slowly while I was less hungry. Many of my cravings that I had for years went away. I enjoyed learning new meal planning and healthy planning. It is 7 months since surgery and I am 15 pounds from goal and I feel so healthy and finally in control. Good luck with your decision. I know it is a hard one to make.

I hear all this. I've lost 20, and plataued and starting to struggle. Yea, 20, and then the congratulations pizza... just like before. . My decision to sleeve me is still ago for me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

Hi I'm going to tell you why it is a great tool first I'm a diabetic I look at it like this loose some of my stomach or loose a leg I don't want to be on meds the rest of my life so I'm going to use this tool good luck to u and ur decision