Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was recently admitted to the hospital because I was feeling back pain, that radiated over to my left ovary and down my leg. Once the pain went down my leg, I went to the ER. Once there waited for tests, while I was in the fetal position in a lot of pain. They said it was a torsion cyst (when a cyst is cutting blood supply from ovary) and they wanted to operate and remove cyst and since ovary was enlarged and about same size, they probably would've taken it out too.

Good news; no operation and I have my ovaries. It was scary, but thank goodness everything turned out ok. Once there since I had a couple of cysts they diagnosed me with PCOS.

When I was a much heavier person, I as diabetic, and well I almost never had my periods; maybe 3 or 5 times a year. I have never broken out, I have a son and he will be 8 in October. I haven't tried again to have another child. I do not have a lot of facial hair.

Since I lost the weight; diabetes is resolved. I was told PCOS is my diagnosis but I am hesitant bc all I have are the cysts?! OB said this to me and placed me on birth control for the next 3 months.

I am wondering if this OB is correct, or should I see an endocrinologist and if this surgery cure DIABETES, doesn't it mean another diagnosis (especially PCOS would be healable.) This MD as I mentioned placed me on birth control every 3 months.

I have 5 days worth of period. they are heavy and i do crap occasionally. Nothing major.

I am reading other peoples post and I am wondering if this is correct. I think I will check with A Endocrinologist; I AM JUST ignorant when it comes to this.

I feel like my best is an endocrinologist.

Please any thoughts or commons; highly appreciated.

Yes, I agree. Your best bet would be to contact an endocrinologist. I've been diagnosed with PCOS for about 10 years. When first diagnosed, I only had a couple of the symptoms that pcos involves. But he told me, that just because all of the symptoms doesn't show, doesn't mean that I didn't have it. So I would see one of those :) Congrats on your weightloss!!

The surgery can resolve things like type 2 diabetes because type 2 diabetes can be controlled and subdued by an extreme diet change alone. It's just so, so much harder to eat that kind of strict diet without surgery. PCOS is a whole other beast, unfortunately. It's a hormone disorder first and foremost. So if you DO have PCOS, at the core of your issues would be a hormone imbalance. But in the end, if you had "string of pearls" follicles on your ovaries during an ultrasound (also called cysts), you've got PCOS. :/ The birth control is really important because it helps keep the lining of your uterus thinner, which in turn helps prevent cervical cancer, infertility, and a whole host of other scary problems. It also shrinks the cysts on the ovaries, which is important for obvious reasons. If you need peace of mind, or another opinion than your gyno's, feel free to see an endocrinologist. But if you've got the cysts... you've got the disorder. And it's for life.

The good news is, losing weight/staying active and eating low carb is EXACTLY the way to best treat the core of PCOS. So with birth control and a strict diet/ your major weight loss, you should barely even be aware of your PCOS, especially since you say you have no other symptoms. You're one of the lucky ones! :) Congrats on your loss, by the way. You're doing great!

Hello I am hoping to get better understanding of PCOS. I was just recently diagnosed and I knew there was a problem because I could never get past 10 or 20 pound weight loss, but PCOS wasn't showing up in my blood they found it through an ultrasound. My gynecologist did not tell me all the symptoms of PCOS as a matter of fact she acted as if she was not real knowledgeable about the disease.I had to research the disease and it is a monster. My question is I am reading posts where some women who have had the sleeve said that their gynecologist told them that their PCOS is cured because they are having their menstrual cycle again???? That doesn't seem accurate to me. After researching the disease it sounds like it is not all the way curable. Even through you might have your cycle back you still have the cyst on your ovaries. Someone please help me with the confusion.

@@Gina42 I'm from the Ashland area

Sent from my VS880PP using the BariatricPal App

@@Gina42 I had my surgery in Ashland . it went okay. I'm in a lot of discomfort from gas...but other than that no issues at all. :)

Sent from my VS880PP using the BariatricPal App