Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Left shoulder pain

Hello! I am 42 years old. And post op day 3. I am still having a lot of left shoulder pan. I've been told it's "referred" pain due in part to gas. My surgeon also said he had to "peel" a portion of my stomach back from where it was touching my diaphragm. He thinks some of my pain is from an irritated diaphragm since he had to manipulate it.

Has anyone else had this? How long can this shoulder pain last? It's rather miserable. I am not short of breath, no fevers, and essentially no abdominal pain. Just a pick ax sensation in my shoulder.

Any ideas?

4 pounds down so far- yay!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

if it doesn't go away, or gets worse pancreatitis can have that kind of pain.. just keep an eye on it.

I had my surgery on the 19th and still have left shoulder pain. It's from the gas sitting under your ribs cage, it pushes against nerves that lead up to you neck and shoulders. Mines also my left side only.

I got strong meds to help when sleeping, will naturally be broken down into you blood stream over a few weeks. I'm now day 11 and mine is about 70% better but still sore at night.

My the left shoulder pain continued to worsen over last 2 days. Then it progressed to severe left upper abdomen pain I was having fevers, sweats and shaking chills by this AM, plus unbearable pain. I was like a turtle laying on my back, I could not sit up or even roll over bc hurt so horribly.

Turns out the drain in left upper abdomen became infected, though outside wasn't even red until tonight. Boy is it red and hot now! My surgeon pulled the drain out of the swollen infected insides of me, and I almost passed out from the pain.

I am self pay, and though nervous, I decided against getting re-admitted to hospital. So I got several liters of IV fluids and IV antibiotics.

Fingers and toes crossed that I am some better by tomorrow. I am supposed to return to being mom of four by Tuesday...

I hope all my other newly-sleeved friends are faring better than I am!

MommyB- this can be quite serious and deadly-- please don't take this lightly.. If you do not improve dramatically by tomorrow, still with fever, nausea, vomiting, you need evaluated again!!!!. I understand the financial aspect-- I am looking at insurance right now for us out of the country, not covered by my own insurance in case this does happen..

So ? how are you today?

Much much better!

Pain 90 percent improved. Highest temp only 100, still sweats/chills. Able to keep down my antibiotics. Had to change sheets and pjs twice overnight with drenching sweats. Thank you for asking! When do you get your sleeve? Are you going to another country to get it? Smart to look into insurance!!!

I was honestly worried about "complications" and being out of pocket... I hope this continues to go smoothly.

Today I feel like a normal person. If this is what it was supposed to be like the whole time, the recovery is not bad. Thx again!

Glad to hear.. take your meds until completely done (something people don't do), take the tylenol regularly.. lots of fluids....

I'm going to Tijuana o the 28th... nervous, but excited.