Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Strenth training for a beginner

I am about 7 weeks post op VSG. My surgeon cleared me to go back to the gym a couple of weeks ago and I have been sticking to cardio. (30 min, 4 days a week - elliptical, bike, rowing machine).

I'm really wanting to start strength training but I'm not sure where to start. How much weight? How many reps? Which machines on what day?

Do any of you have suggestions on how to develop a routine? I go to the Y and could pay to work with one of their trainers, but I'm a pretty self-motivated, lone-wolf kind of person and I'd rather do this on my own if possible.

Note: I have bad knees, so anything involving lunges or squats is out right now. I hope they will improve as I gain strength.

Edited by eliminnowp

Following this, looking forward to everyone's input. I do Cardio only as well. I have weights at home and I have began to strength train but I feel so stupid and at a loss and feel like I am getting absolutely nowhere.

I've replied to this question many times over the past year. Allow me to quote myself:

I hate to be the one to go against the grain, but I personally do not like trainers. In my experience trainers in gyms like Gold's or Planet Fitness and etc... will do the bare minimum to keep you paying for their services. All of the ones I have had dealings with wanted to show my the latest exercise fad or the "quick way" to get ripped or burn fat... they are fitness marketers. I was told how to do so many exercises improperly and told so many outright stupid things in the beginning because of my belief that my trainers knew what they were talking about. Half of my injuries are my own fault, but I do blame the rest of the bad information I was given from trainers.

A sports physical therapist however is all about safely strengthening. If you can get an appointment with them, you'll be getting some good information. And depending on your insurance, it might be covered!
Now, as for getting into the weight room and building muscle, we all have to start somewhere. If you see anyone with judgmental looks, you know to never take their advice because they are there for the wrong reasons. Those are the ones that are there for posing; trying to look hardcore or there for selfies... ugh, hate those douchebags. More often than not, after a few weeks of seeing the same people, I find the true vets will come up and sometimes give advice or talk. I'd take whatever they would give me and verify it online or with my doctor before trying it. Or I just wouldn't try it because it didn't fit into my goals.
Oh, and I would like to mention that when I started back at the gym after surgery, I was the guy with the ridiculously low weights and being completely exhausted after 20 minutes of "working out". You just have to stick to it. Show your determination and leave your ego in the locker room. Bringing ego or machismo into the weight room is a recipe for injury.
If you want, you can look at a couple of the threads I have on here about my routine. I am obsessed with avoiding injury, so it should be pretty safe. But always, ALWAYS, verify with your doctor, internet, or therapist before starting.

one piece of advice that I hope anyone reading my posts takes to heart is this: Leave your ego in the locker room. Too often we men get in a weight room and we become focused on the numbers and not the results. Slow and steady is the way to win this "race". Incremental gains should be your goal. It's not just your muscles you need to be worried about. They WILL atrophy in the beginning. Accept it but set yourself up for success later. You will also need to focus on Calcium and Vitamin D and increasing bone density. Your legs should be good since by nature of being overweight they had to become strong to carry us. Unless you have arthritis like me and then it can become an issue.

Weight loss doesn't happen overnight and neither will a strong body. Focus on long term goals for the best chance of success.

I started back at the gym 6 weeks after surgery. And like you I thought I could do weights. Needless to say, I wasn't eating enough to give me any real energy. I know it's not manly, but stick to walking and stationary bike for the beginning. Not only are you going to be low energy, but the Protein you are taking in should be dedicated to healing and repairing tissue from the surgery, not building muscle. When you divide your total Protein intake between healing and trying to build, you slow down your healing process and you won't be making any serious gains.

Walking, biking, and maybe the elliptical will help prevent atrophy, but they won't build. Give it a few months. This isn't a race. This is the rest of your life. So while getting in the gym now may feel like working to a goal, it is really about making it a habit.

I think you get the idea. I have some threads on my personal workout from earlier this year that my be useful to you. I am currently doing squats, deadlifts, presses... all things that you shouldn't even be thinking about at this stage.

Note: I have bad knees, so anything involving lunges or squats is out right now. I hope they will improve as I gain strength.

Oh, I meant to mention it - properly performed squats are good for the knees If you can, go to the library and look for a book called Starting Strength. I'm not telling you to do that routine (it's brutal) but there is a chapter on the squat that discusses how the posterior chain is involved in the squat as well as how when the bar path is vertical and your stance is proper, the knees are protected.

So even if you start with nothing but a broomstick (like I did), squatting would be a very good idea.

Are there any powerhouse gyms in your area. There is an amazing class called body pump. I think you could pay $10 if you're not a member and attend the class. The class is designed for beginners to advanced. Everyone does the same exercises only the weights increase as you are able to tolerate. It will teach you all about strength training and toning. I'd think 1 or 2 classes you could take It back to the Y and implement into your current workout plan.

Oh, I meant to mention it - properly performed squats are good for the knees If you can, go to the library and look for a book called Starting Strength. I'm not telling you to do that routine (it's brutal) but there is a chapter on the squat that discusses how the posterior chain is involved in the squat as well as how when the bar path is vertical and your stance is proper, the knees are protected.

So even if you start with nothing but a broomstick (like I did), squatting would be a very good idea.

Thanks! I definitely have a lot to learn.

Sent from my SM-J700P using the BariatricPal App

I started with basic body weight moves: air squats, walking lunges, push ups, planks, etc. I slowly upped my reps and duration. For example, a push up could start at an angle against a wall and then keep increasing the angle until you are able to do one on your knees on the floor. From there the goal is to do them on your toes versus your knees. This progression could take several months. As exciting as pumping Iron sounds, lifting ourselves is usually the easiest place to start.

Way to go! Keep sticking to your workout schedule.

A sports psychical therapist can be a great resource.

A couple of other resources I want to pass along are

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1033 - great description of strength training and discussion about different aspects of it.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html - step by step instructions on how to do most exercises and a video with most of them

PLaces with some helpful workout videos:

https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos

http://www.sparkpeople.tv/

Make sure to take it slow and the good news is you have time to develop a plan that works for you.

Best of luck!

There is much to be said for using the various machines as they have the correct range of motion built-in.

Doing four sets of 12 reps seems to be a good place to start. Group together the machines that address same body parts and do them together on the same day....skip 2-3 days before doing again. You can use cardio as either a warm up or as something to focus on during the non-lifting days.

The machines have become my friend more than before.

Don't get me wrong....free weights are great. They just take more training and discipline to adhere to proper form. Injuries can be obtained easily if one doesn't know. Trust me, I've learned the hard way.