Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr Fitzer Reston

Hey there,

I was wondering if anyone had their surgery performed by Dr. Fitzer in Reston. What was your experience? My surgery is next month so any info would be great.

I am beyond thrilled with my experience with his practice. I had mine done in April 2014. At the time he only used Fair Oaks. I know he uses other hospitals now as well. I'm sure they are great too.

Thank you for your response! I'm excited and nervous. My surgery is next month.

I had my surgery with Dr Fitzer on October 19th. I wasn't super impressed honestly. The surgery went well but the communication after surgery was very poor including my followup. Obviously this only my opinion but I had two meetings with Dr Fitzer prior to surgery. 1 in April for about 30 minutes where I asked questions from the online video seminar and another a few minutes before surgery. I haven't seen him since my surgery nor a call and even the postop follow up was with his nurse not him. My wife was not called when I was out of surgery in fact I called her to let her know I was doing well. Pain right after surgery was a lot but while in the recovery room the nurse there helped in reducing the pain but one you are sent to your own hospital you may as well take tylenol because what I got was useless I think it was oxycodone every three hours but the nurse only came around whenever they wanted basically between 3:30 - 4 hours. I walked around the hospital a few hours after surgery but the equipment that monitors your heart and vitals was not working correctly and kept reporting my heartbeat at close to 200 bpm. The nurse checked my heart rate and it was maybe around 90 when walking, I asked for a working monitor but never got one. Then another option was to have Dr Fitzer let me walk when the monitor was malfunctioning but no one could get him to reply. All in all I left the hospital less than 24 hours after surgery on no pain meds and just made the best of it. The pain does suck but I felt the recovery was better done at home with my family than in a hospital that didn't help as much as I had hoped. I just looked at the charges and I would think for over $60k billed it would have been a better experience. I really hope your recovery goes better and you have a great experience.

Downlbs where did you have surgery? I'm wondering if some of the differences in our experience was hospital based.

I only stayed 24 hours by choice as well and I also went home with no pain meds. I did see Dr. Fitzer and Jenny his PA several times. I talked to Fitzer several times the first week because I had a slight fever. He was very responsive. I also had a bleeding ulcer at month 5. Fitzer was my first call. He and Jenny were great and managed my hospital stay and medicine instead of sending me to my primary or my general surgeon.

I had my surgery at Reston hospital on October 19th. I am glad to hear your experience was a lot better than mine and you had great care, I'm sure that helped you feel a lot better about your surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@downlbs Here's what I thought of my experience...The nurses was pretty good (although night staff was a little slower to respond) and my questions and concerns pre op and post op are always addressed by Dr. Fitzer's office staff. I do recall them telling me during a pre op visit that I would only go home on Tylenol and no pains meds would be prescribed. The first few days were rough pain wise (oxycodone was ok not great), but I turned a corner around around day 5 and I started to feel better. Overall, I would do it again same surgeon, same hospital although I did hear very good things about Inova Fairfax but he no longer performs surgeries at that hospital from what I understand. I hope you're doing well now.

Dr Fitzer was my surgeon. I was sleeved 7/19/16. I was very happy with him. I did only see him during the web meeting, first office visit and for a minute right before we went into surgery. So I can understand how someone would not be happy with his bedside manner. It didnt bother me. His staff always went above and beyond in helping with all the questions and details that I felt safe. It did the part I was worried about perfectly and that was the surgery. They told me before no pain meds but I dont like pain meds at all so I was fine. I didnt even take Tylenol. It hurt but was bareable. I had no complications then and never have since surgery and Im over 4 months post op. Ive never ever thrown up. SW-245 CW-190. Im 5'4 1/2. Ive been off all bp meds since month 2. First time since before I was 18 and Im 48. It was my main reason for surgery. I feel so much better already and if I didnt lose another pound I would still be happy and it was worth it. I wish I would have done it sooner. I highly recommend him. He is a nice guy but if you are wanting a doctor who will personally be at every appt that wont happen. I had my surgery in Haymarket at Novant. I loved that place. Everyone was nice. It was very clean and quiet.

Can anyone tell me what Dr Fitzer's requirements are? I have a consultation with him Jan 3rd. My ins co only requires a psych eval - no 3 or 6 month class.

Was wondering what Dr Fitzer requires.. any info would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Im not sure which what his requirements are. I thought most of my requirements were from the insurance company. I had 6 month wait, psych eval, gastro dr, cardiologist, sleep study and a couple more little things. They gave me a checklist the first appointment.

Your welcome. Good Luck to you. He is an excellent doctor with a very good staff. They are so helpful and you shouldnt have any problems.

Hi folks. I'm about to have surgery tomorrow w/Fitzer at Reston. For whatever reason, I am having such a hard time processing that we do not go home on pain meds. I read and hear from other people with other surgeons and they are. So, is the way Fitzer is doing the surgery vastly different than other surgeons so it is less painful or this just a policy?

Also, f/u question: when you went home, how many very painful days did you have and did straight Tylenol do the trick? I am just trying to get a sense of this. Thanks!

Hi folks. I'm about to have surgery tomorrow w/Fitzer at Reston. For whatever reason, I am having such a hard time processing that we do not go home on pain meds. I read and hear from other people with other surgeons and they are. So, is the way Fitzer is doing the surgery vastly different than other surgeons so it is less painful or this just a policy?
Also, f/u question: when you went home, how many very painful days did you have and did straight Tylenol do the trick? I am just trying to get a sense of this. Thanks!

Hi there! I had surgery last July. I had it done on a Tuesday and came home Thursday. From the time I got out of surgery I didnt take any pain meds. Dont get me wrong I was sore but I just dont like them. You can have them in the hospital. They offer them to you. I didnt even take Tylenol so it was bearable. The first day of surgery I slept about all day. I only got up to walk a few times. 24 hrs later I felt much better and was up sitting in the chair. I was just very sleepy. When I came home I slept in my bed that night and never did take any Tylenol. By Saturday I was moving around great and out of the house. I was moving slow then usual but felt good enough to be out and about. Usually only for an hour or so because I would still tire easy. I had 2 C-sections years ago so I dont know if that made it easier on me or not. Im happy to say the last time I weighed I was down about 65 pds and I have never had one complication at all. It went so much easier then I ever expected. You will be fine and good luck.