Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I restarted successfully 1 month ago -25lbs

I was the guy that came here studying the forum for stories of how people restarted successfully and never did anything about it. Or very rarely did you find people willing to discuss this because once they were back on track they didn't come back to the forum. So here is my success story so far.post-131651-14751466659577_thumb.jpg

On September 1st I had had enough of regain and decided it was time to change my bad habits. I had VSG 4 years ago and dropped from 385 to 285 in 9 months. Then I slowly crept back to 335, a 50lb regain!

So what did I do? I did 3 days of shakes then 4 days of shakes and small portions of chicken. Then I discovered reddit.com/r/keto and started reading. For the last 3 weeks I have been full blown Keto with 5% carbs, 25% Protein, 70% fat on 900-1200 cal per day. I follow intermitant fasting on a 18:6 ratio. And I walk 3-4 miles per day. In one month of have lost 25lbs and only 25 more to my lowest but I won't stop there this time! Before I get yelled at about how horrible this is just do a bit of research. Many people have CURED their diabetes with a keto lifestyle and there is actual science backing all of it.

Good job!

I lost 99 pounds pre-op using a low carb (15-20 per day), high Protein (100-120 grams per day), and high healthy fat diet (approximately 100 grams per day). It was a VERY successful approach for me. I am planning on continuing the low-carb approach as I move through my food stages post-op.

@@Donny

That is an amazing story. I too love the Keto way of life. Before I decided to do WLS, I purchased some literature on the ketogentic diet. I started following it and had amazing results!! My co workers were like "how can you eat all that fat and loose weight, your going to get heart problems" blah blah blah. I showed them by dropping 30 pounds in 6 weeks! My blood work was perfect!

Then I fell off the wagon... unfortunately... but didn't we all at some time. When doing this type of diet you cant sneak a cookie here or there. If you cheat... it messes you up for at least a week until that processed junk gets fully out of your system. I know that you know this but hopefully it will help some of the others who read this. :)

This diet was developed to help children with ADHD and Seizures. It takes the place of meds for a majority of them!!!! How great is that. Just goes to show that our FDA had been wrong all along. I am a full supporter of the ketogenic diet and I hear a lot of people talking about ketosis on here but from what I've experienced you cant be fully in ketosis unless you are eating little to no carbs. I had purchased the keto strips and tested it. When your in ketosis its like a euphoria. You feel so good, mind and body.

I'm happy for you, keep up the good work and positive attitude! :rolleyes:

I agree. I am very strict less than 20g of carbs. A cheat day for me is still under 50g (which is still keto) and I had blood work done two days ago with great results. The only bad marker I had was low HDL but since my LDL and Triglycerides are so low they didn't seem too bothered by it. My nurse was impressed with the numbers since they came from a guy with a 38 BMI. Last night I had a baconator lettuce wrap from Wendy's and today made full egg scrambled eggs with cheese and bacon. I LOVE Keto :)

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

@@blizair09 and @@Donny

This is fascinating to me. I was wondering what you actually eat in a typical day?

Thanks, Lisa

I, too, am a big fan of the Keto lifestyle and intermittent fasting. I took off almost 6 pounds of regain doing the Keto/Intermittent fasting for a couple of months.

So @@Donny, I'm curious. How's your sleeve restriction at 4 years out? I'm 2+ years out and curious.

@@Donny Super impressed! It can be done, and you're doing it.

I have a close friend that had RNY many, many years ago and regained back to over 350lbs and had been there for awhile. This year he got serious about it and he's down to 195lbs in less than a year's time, and is in amazing shape. There is always hope!

I, too, am a big fan of the Keto lifestyle and intermittent fasting. I took off almost 6 pounds of regain doing the Keto/Intermittent fasting for a couple of months.

So @@Donny, I'm curious. How's your sleeve restriction at 4 years out? I'm 2+ years out and curious.

It's still there. I learned to eat around it and drink my calories, that's what ruined me. I barely got through 3 eggs and cheese today. Yesterday a double baconator was two meals. It's definitely not what it once was but it still works great. I can chug Water and bubbles don't bother me. Coke zero and La Croix Water are how I satisfy sweet cravings. Studies show when you're in ketosis a multi day fast is beneficial. Between keto and the sleeve I can fast 3-4 days. Now I do have a ton of supplements and did a ton of research before starting. I really struggle to eat more that 900 meaningful/healthy calories per day. But I aim for 1200. I had my 3 eggs 5 hours ago and I am still stuffed to the point I can't consider Snacks or lunch at this point

@@Donny Super impressed! It can be done, and you're doing it.

I have a close friend that had RNY many, many years ago and regained back to over 350lbs and had been there for awhile. This year he got serious about it and he's down to 195lbs in less than a year's time, and is in amazing shape. There is always hope!

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

@@blizair09 and @@donny

This is fascinating to me. I was wondering what you actually eat in a typical day?

Thanks, Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Here is a typical day's food under the diet I have followed over the past six months:

Breakfast

3 scrambled eggs

4 pieces of bacon

1 piece of American cheese (cooked in eggs)

lunch

1 Premier Protein chocolate shake

dinner

6-8 oz of lean meat (chicken or salmon or occasionally red meat)

1.5 cups lettuce

1/3 cup parmesan cheese

3 T bacon bits

3 T Olive Garden Italian Dressing

This comes out in the 1200-1300 calories range depending on the dinner Protein.< /p>

I hope this helps!

Hi. Hang in there and don't look back. I have restarted after 4 years away; and eating poorly. I thought my stomach was too far stretched to even try. But then I read your post and others, and I have renewed faith to move forward. I am lost, I keep reading, I am in and out of ketosis. Some days I am afraid to eat anything. Other days, I want to eat everything. It's all in my head I know, so now I am exercising, fasting, and into Protein shakes, powder, and liquid. When I am not hungry, I am ok. But seems everything on tv, and outside focus is on food, food, food. I need to lose 25 lbs. I have lost 21 on my own; and now need help to make it to the end. been hovering at 204 for the last week. Well, that's all for now. Glad you are out there and sharing.

@@donny Great job on your reset. I've been on 16:8. Props to you, I don't think I could do 18:6!

@@donny how's it going. I'm trying to start a similar regime myself. 3.75 yrs out, never got to goal (got within 5lb) . I'm now admitting for the first time in public that I'm 50lb up from lowest. I got to this stage by drinking and eating around my sleeve. Sharing a bottle of wine with my husband results in us sharing a large pack of crisps (chips) and a large bar of chocolate. This has been going of for 2 years and the weight gain is the result. I have also been eating bread again and Cookies.

During the holidays I have been investigating Keto and I think it will suit me.

Anyway the next part of the journey begins - I just wandered off the path and got lost. I need to renavigate.

@@donny how's it going. I'm trying to start a similar regime myself. 3.75 yrs out, never got to goal (got within 5lb) . I'm now admitting for the first time in public that I'm 50lb up from lowest. I got to this stage by drinking and eating around my sleeve. Sharing a bottle of wine with my husband results in us sharing a large pack of crisps (chips) and a large bar of chocolate. This has been going of for 2 years and the weight gain is the result. I have also been eating bread again and Cookies.

During the holidays I have been investigating Keto and I think it will suit me.

Anyway the next part of the journey begins - I just wandered off the path and got lost. I need to renavigate.

I'm doing Keto to get the holiday chub off. I love it to start off a diet because it is instant gratification. I was in Ketosis within 3 days. Granted I'm losing a lot of Water weight (I'm a bloater and carbs blow me up) but I've lost 5 lbs in 5 days. Ultimately for me, I will up my carbs after the first few weeks as Keto is not my choice of a life long way of eating but a lower carb diet is. I can still lose weight with my carbs up around 75 grams as long as I am exercising. Of course in upping the carbs, I will bring down my fats.

@@smallbmi Keto is not like Atkins but more like Atkins induction. I doubt UK Cathy is doing any shakes on Keto as she is almost 4 years out. I only make a shake as a snack- maybe once a week if I didn't hit my Protein numbers for the day- as I too am 4 years out.