Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss stalls

I've read a lot about weight loss stall and I'm well aware that they are a recurring feature of this type of weight loss.

I had my surgery on September 13.

For two week prior to the surgery, I was on a liquid diet, through which I lost 14 pounds.

For two weeks after the surgery, I was on a THIN liquid diet.

The first week, I lost 7 pounds and was very happy.

The second week, I lost 2 pounds and felt discourage.

I ate the same and did the same amount of walking.

I've heard of people losing 30 pounds the month after surgery.

Is my weight loss typical or am I am doing something wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hello joei0005!

I had my surgery on 9/19 and I am on a liquid diet post op as well. When I started my pre-op diet I was 324lbs... The day of surgery I was 314lbs. I lost 10lbs before surgery. On Sunday, when I weighed myself for my first week post op, I weighed in at 303. So I lost 11 lbs... but now this week, I am stuck too. I dont know what I am doing differently but apparently my body isnt liking it... haha... I have only lost 1 lbs in the last three days...

I hope you know you're not alone and everyone's bodies are different. Maybe you need to get more Protein, maybe you are not drinking enough Water. Who knows... our bodies are crazy... Dont get discouraged though, it will get better. Just keep pushing through...

I've read a lot about weight loss stall and I'm well aware that they are a recurring feature of this type of weight loss.

For two week prior to the surgery, I was on a liquid diet, through which I lost 14 pounds.

For two weeks after the surgery, I was on a THIN liquid diet.< /p>

Not everyone loses 30 lbs the month after surgery. We are all different and lose at different rates. If you are meeting Protein and Fluid goals - then don't pay attention to the scale!

For two weeks after the surgery, I was on a THIN liquid diet.< /p>

You're going to have people tell you to Embrace the stall - in short, keep doing what you are doing, meet or exceed your Protein, Water and exercise goals, stay of the scale and you will work through the stall. This is a great post about it :

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/351046-embrace-the-stall/

That being said - I understand how frustrating it can be! (and have complained about it myself) I was three weeks post op yesterday and am down 10lbs. I had hoped (expected) more, but I know that I have been doing what I am supposed to be doing, and I am just trying to trust the process.

I'm same as you guys; sleeved 9/19, lost 14 pre-op, 7 first week, nothing this week, meeting Protein and Water goals. Frustrating! You aren't alone.

I am just over 3 mths out and feel like I have had more weeks of stalls than not. However, I have lost 52 lbs. It can be frustrating but when the scale moves down again it is so exciting. Haha.

A couple of things - your body doesn't know the difference from pre surgery or post surgery weightloss, your body has to heal and adjust to these drastic changes, and your body is going to take care of itself. You just need to do your part with meeting Protein and liquid goals. No longer are we dieting. We have a new lifestyle. Changing our mindsets helps. Taking it day by day helps. Focusing on the long term goal helps.

I am glad I read this post. My surgery was 9/16 and I lost 5 lbs prior to surgery and 7 lbs the week after then nothing for next 5 days. I haven't weighed the last 3 days because I was getting to fixated on the scale not moving. I am also getting my Protein in plus extra. Drinking plenty of Water. So I am hoping to see a change soon. Glad to know I'm not alone in this.

It will happen either way -- as long as you stay to plan. My first month after surgery I lost 29 pounds... the following month has been 13.8 and 9 days into month 3 I've lost 5 lbs. There have been stretches of 3-4 days where nothing moved....but power though it mentally and you'll be fine. Everyone loses differently... unfortunately I have a whole hell of a lot to lose so it probably drops quicker. Hang in there!

Edited by beyondgrief