Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Turned down due to borderline personality disorder

This morning I went to the first consult with the practice I chose, and the physician's assistant told me they do not do surgery on anyone who has borderline personality disorder or bipolar disorder.

Has anyone here had this issue? Were you able to find another practice that accepted you? Or were you able to convince the first practice to take you after all by citing relevant statistics? Any good articles I should read?

I'm 39 years old, so as anyone who knows about borderline personality disorder knows, I have aged out of the worst phase. I'm very stable now, have been with the same therapist for 3 years, have been on there same medications for 3 years (same meds I was on before I got pregnant), own my own home that is more than half paid off, have a daughter who is in kindergarten (have never had any custody or other parenting issues), have an employed partner who I have been with for 2 years, getting married next year.

Feeling very frustrated right now, but not ready to give up.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the BariatricPal App

@@anonmom There are several people with the same mental health conditions that have gotten surgery. The importance is that you are stable and cleared by a psychiatrist. I would call the program you went to and speak to a nurse manager or psychiatrist (if they have one) to find out if it's worth it to move forward with that practice. If they indicate this is a rule of the practice - find somewhere else. You may need extra therapy or support post-op - as this is as much mental as it is physical - but to automatically rule you out based on a diagnosis without knowing the status of the disease is not appropriate.

Please find another practice that will work with you if necessary. I have a daughter who has this diagnosis - I would imagine it is very frustrating to you to be denied without them looking at the stability of the rest of your life.

wishing you all the best.

Thanks for all the support! The most frustrating thing was that she said it was their practice's policy because they didn't want to destabilize someone who was mentally stable by doing the surgery, because it was such a big lifestyle change. It made me feel like my level of stability wasn't a factor, or even was somehow a negative factor. I did leave a message for another practice and they called me right back and said they do not have the same policy, so I'm working on their paperwork now!

I'm bipolar as well - and I've spoken on here with others concerning being able to take mental health meds immediately after surgery. It never came up for me (I did work with my programs therapist) but the surgeon never said anything about it.

There is absolutely no reason for them to deny you - if you're stable which sounds like you're doing great, you'll probably do better than most since you regularly see a therapist!

I hate the mental health stigma. Look for a program that makes you comfortable.

❤❤❤

I'm diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. I was asked to see their doctors and had paperwork sent over by my therapist. Basically I gushed on how wonderful things were going, how determined to make this change. Smiling idiot basically. And my therapist gave good feed back to their doctors.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

I am bipolar and i had no issues. My psych visit was the last requirement i did (because of scheduling issues) but the dr said i was good to go. They felt it was more important to focus how I planned to deal with the physical and hormonal changes rather than the mental health issues as i am stable, even without meds.

Bipolar here and had no issues getting approved. I had to have my mental health provider write a letter stating that I was stable and had not been hospitalized in the last 6 months and the surgeon was good with that. I was worried about my stability but has not been an issue. I have had 2 days sadness but I think they were more related to the estrogen release than a mental episode. Would do it again in a heartbeat, no regrets

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using the BariatricPal App

I've heard this happens with some Drs. Please look for another practice! I'm Bi-polar and my Dr had no issues doing the surgery on me. If anything it has helped tremendously.

Well, I've talked to the nurses at the other 2 practices in town and neither have that policy, so I made appointments with both! One of them seems to have the focus on eating healthy, whole foods that I am looking for, and I meet with that surgeon in 6 days, so I'm very excited about that. :)

BP II here, stable and on medication~ I was concerned too. My Dr was more concerned about stability and medication and I was approved. Good you found another Dr. :)

Has anyone been able to go off their meds since the surgery? I was thinking that maybe (hopefully!) I'd be able to go off mine eventually.

BP II here, stable and on medication~ I was concerned too. My Dr was more concerned about stability and medication and I was approved. Good you found another Dr. :)

Has anyone been able to go off their meds since the surgery? I was thinking that maybe (hopefully!) I'd be able to go off mine eventually.

What makes you think losing weight will affect your body's need for psych meds? I ask out of honest curiosity, because I feel like I've always had to fight to get the meds I need. For me, losing weight should help me reduce painkillers, antiinflammatories, Migraine meds, etc., but I have no intention of changing my psych meds unless my tolerance to them goes way down, in which case I would reduce the dosage, but not cut them out completely

Mental illnesses aren't cured by loosing the weight. The boost of self-esteem, the added energy and improving health can make mental illnesses more manageable, but they don't ever heal. You might have to adjust the amounts of meds with new body weight. Going off your psych meds is dangerous. Your psych meds keep you healthy and stable. It's very different from the physical health meds. Stay healthy.

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App

Mental illnesses aren't cured by loosing the weight. The boost of self-esteem, the added energy and improving health can make mental illnesses more manageable, but they don't ever heal. You might have to adjust the amounts of meds with new body weight. Going off your psych meds is dangerous. Your psych meds keep you healthy and stable. It's very different from the physical health meds. Stay healthy.

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App

Agreed. I have no plans to go off mine.