Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things I should get before surgery?

I'm on my last month of weigh ins!! I'm so excited! I want to know what I should buy before surgery and things I'll need after surgery. I already have some Protein but am also getting gene pro just in case I didn't like the protein after surgery. But what things should I have at the hospital and waiting for me at home? Also do you think it's wise to get a belly binder to help with the gas?

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

For the hospital all I needed was: lip balm, biotene spray, and a heating pad. Take a pillow for the ride home.

For home: liquid Tylenol. See if you can fill your prescriptions beforehand.

For the kitchen: food scale, measuring utensils, small storage containers, small utensils (appetizer or toddler size), small cups, plates, bowls.

Food: Protein samples, Premier Protein, Mio drops/crystal light, ProtiDiet liquid beverage concentrates, Decaf or herb tea, ProtiDiet creamy chicken and Tomato basil Soups, sugar free Popsicles.

@@ecoreen94 I'm excited for you!! I am scheduled for 10/18. I bought a few things for post-op - a few different Protein shakes (prepared), some Atkins Lift Protein Water, sugar free Jello, and a bunch of different teas. I'll get sugar free popsicles to have too. I didn't get a lot - as I'm not sure what Protein Shakes I'll like post-op. I'm going to make my own broth and freeze it. I ordered comfy front closure bras as recommended for post-op and I'm going to ask about a binder at my pre-op teaching class next week. I'm going to have really comfy new sheets ready for when I get home and a body pillow. I'm cleaning like crazy and trying to get organized.

I'm going to wear comfy clothes to the hospital and plan to wear the same ones home (I'll only have them on for an hour). I'm bringing a few pairs of underwear, my cell phone, kindle, a long cell charger (also charges the kindle), chapstick, and my SO will be bringing a pillow for the car ride home. We're only 20 minutes away so I figure if I need anything else - someone can bring it to me.

I will be starting my pre-op diet on 10/4/16 and just want this done! :-)

Good luck with everything!

Kristen

I think I overdid it trying to prep for the hospital I mean I didn't have a lot but much more than I needed. If I had to do it all over I'd bring my toiletries/beauty products, Gas x strips Yoga pants and flat irons and of course your phone and/or tablet and chargers.

For Home- Bottled waters, Protein shakes ( of your choosing), powders to put in your Soups and broths, 2 packages of SF Jello, popsicles and pudding. Cream of wheat, Cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, chicken broth. NO more than 1-2 cans of each. Small storage containers for meals. 1 can will make you at least 10 servings. Your Vitamins and Phillips (in case of constipation).

Good Luck

Edited by Candygyrl

Trust me you will not want to wear a belly binder with incisions and fresh out of surgery. Use gas X strips, the ones that dissolve on your tongue if you are worried about possible gas.

I bought so many thing in prep that I just didn't use. Grrrrr. And I bought biotene spray, pricey. But the hospital provided these yummy lollipop type sticks that I can only imagine were so much tastier. Never used that biotene. I have yet to use mio or the at least 8 types of Proteins. I like, do t li e. Premiere Protein but like it's 30 grams. Once I can eat more Protein maybe I will try more of my inventory. Yes, buy genpro.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

Trust me you will not want to wear a belly binder with incisions and fresh out of surgery. Use gas X strips, the ones that dissolve on your tongue if you are worried about possible gas.

How about 2 weeks post op? I know I'm naturally pretty gassy *sorry TMI* so I don't want it to be even worst. My sister who had surgery last week is having the worst gas problems.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

It depends on the person.

Pressure on my stomach was great. It helped with the gas and the support was awesome and it helped protect my incisions from clothes, bumps and pets.

• Definitely buy gas medication!!! I did chewable and mylicon drops. TMI

It depends on the person.

Pressure on my stomach was great. It helped with the gas and the support was awesome and it helped protect my incisions from clothes, bumps and pets.

Where did you find a binder? I'm still quite round. I bought one in the past, but it was way too small. I'm going to assume here that others have had difficulty finding an abdominal binder that fit well. I have animals and I work with small children...hoping it will help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

Edited by ginabee38