Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated big time...

I was sleeved on 5/4/16. I'm down 50 pounds so far, which is an accomplishment. I haven't been exercising because of some orthopedic issues. I havent lost anything in the last month. I'm having hypoglycemic episodes, and my body is apparently in starvation mode because I'm not getting enough Protein. Starting a 1 week liquid diet tomorrow to try and right the ship. My nutritionist wants to add carbs to my diet after the liquid week. Need to talk to my PCP about having blood work and a possible endocrine consultation. Does this get better? Or did I just make a huge mistake? Help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

Your NUT wants to add carbs to your diet to help raise your blood sugar and perhaps correct the hypoglycemia, or so it would seem. I had my surgery a few weeks before you and I haven't had any issues getting in enough Protein. There are days where I don't "eat" all of my Protein, but on those days I make sure to supplement with shakes. It sounds to me as though you are not eating enough food. Is this the case? Is the food that you are eating providing nutrition or are they empty calories? Are you getting enough Water? Are you supplementing the lack of protein with Protein Shakes? If not, why? Are they hard to get down?

Believe it or not, if you're not getting enough nutrition (NUTRITION - NOT JUST FOOD), you will have a hard time losing weight as your body will go into "defense" mode and try to hold on to everything it can so that it doesn't starve. You need to make sure that you are providing your body with the nutrients it needs, and keep hydrated. Also, I'm not sure what your orthopedic issues are, but I would bet that there are several exercises that could still be done without risking injury to the affected areas. http://workoutlabs.com/ has a tool that allows you to build workouts for specific muscle groups and with or without equipment. At this point, ANY exercise will reward you. If it's joint issues, you might consider swimming for exercise. It's easy on the joints and it's a hell of workout.

If you can provide some more information and answer some of the questions above, perhaps you can get some more helpful info.

You are doing the right thing by involving your surgeon/NUT/PCP and making them aware of the issues. Glad to see that they are making recommendations and I hope you can get some relief soon. Best of luck...hang in there!

I was sleeved on 5/4/16. I'm down 50 pounds so far, which is an accomplishment. I haven't been exercising because of some orthopedic issues. I havent lost anything in the last month. I'm having hypoglycemic episodes, and my body is apparently in starvation mode because I'm not getting enough Protein. Starting a 1 week liquid diet tomorrow to try and right the ship. My nutritionist wants to add carbs to my diet after the liquid week. Need to talk to my PCP about having blood work and a possible endocrine consultation. Does this get better? Or did I just make a huge mistake? Help!

Does this get better?

I don't know why not as long as you get enough nutrition.

Eating enough is as important for losing weight as not eating too much.

If you were sleeved in May, why aren't you eating enough Protein? What is your protein target?

Are you tracking your food?

Are you getting at least 64 oz of Fluid a day?

Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

Try not to fret about exact numbers. Staying calm and focused will help. I am not getting enough Protein yet either. I also had a prolonged period of "starvation" mode.

Trying tiny amounts of all sorts of foods can help boost your Protein input. And might help with the hypos.

Once your liquid diet is finished, and if your team allows it, concentrate on just nibbling things that your sleeve likes.

I could tolerate some broth so continuously had the slow cooker on with beef and bones in it. I then slowly started adding tiny amounts of lentils. I also put carrots in as I can tolerate them.

I always have some of that broth handy. It has both good protein and carbs in. Even if I can only drink the broth throughout the day, my body is getting nutrition.

I also nibble on anything that might help boost my protein. Crackers with slivers of hard cheese, cheese crackers with cottage cheese, tiny apple (no skin) slivers dipped in Peanut Butter.

Crispy (which turns mushy) textures seem to be tolerated by my sleeve.

But as ill (with c diff) as I am, I still push my body to try different Proteins often.

Even minute amounts of different foods will add up over 24 hours.

I also found that I was in the routine of not eating anything from 6 pm to 9 am pre op, quite normal especially as I have reflux issues.

But post op, it was so easy to become both dehydrated because of that routine and that I was going too long without anything going in on top of only a 300 calorie daily intake.

So now I make sure that I have something as soon as I wake up (I keep Lucozade beside my bed just in case) and that I have something just before I go to sleep.

I hope that helps.

Hang in there. I do really understand how you are feeling.

Stay calm, breathe, drink Water, nibble, sip broth. Even Bone Broth has protein in it. Push your food boundaries every day. Protein can come from a myriad of sources, think outside the box.

It is now your sleeve, we don't all fit inside the regular sleeve "box" so explore (with caution), what works for you.

If a food offends your sleeve this week, it's okay. You can try it again later. I keep trying with egg because I know it is valuable in protein. Egg drop Soup will work for me but I know that I must push my texture boundaries so I try deviled eggs.

I really hate the waste so am learning to only prepare minute quantities where possible.

You will be okay.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Your NUT wants to add carbs to your diet to help raise your blood sugar and perhaps correct the hypoglycemia, or so it would seem. I had my surgery a few weeks before you and I haven't had any issues getting in enough Protein. There are days where I don't "eat" all of my Protein, but on those days I make sure to supplement with shakes. It sounds to me as though you are not eating enough food. Is this the case? Is the food that you are eating providing nutrition or are they empty calories? Are you getting enough Water? Are you supplementing the lack of protein with Protein Shakes? If not, why? Are they hard to get down?

Believe it or not, if you're not getting enough nutrition (NUTRITION - NOT JUST FOOD), you will have a hard time losing weight as your body will go into "defense" mode and try to hold on to everything it can so that it doesn't starve. You need to make sure that you are providing your body with the nutrients it needs, and keep hydrated. Also, I'm not sure what your orthopedic issues are, but I would bet that there are several exercises that could still be done without risking injury to the affected areas. http://workoutlabs.com/ has a tool that allows you to build workouts for specific muscle groups and with or without equipment. At this point, ANY exercise will reward you. If it's joint issues, you might consider swimming for exercise. It's easy on the joints and it's a hell of workout.

If you can provide some more information and answer some of the questions above, perhaps you can get some more helpful info.

You are doing the right thing by involving your surgeon/NUT/PCP and making them aware of the issues. Glad to see that they are making recommendations and I hope you can get some relief soon. Best of luck...hang in there!

I was doing fine. The weight was coming off, so be didn't really dive into my day to day, meal to meal numbers. I was having lots of issues getting all of my protein and all of my fluids. I don't snack at all. 3 meals, plus a pudding with meds. That was it. Turns out that I'm only getting 50-65g of protein a day. After the liquid week, I will go back to full foods, but most likely only 2 meals and keep a shake for one. I'll also have to add fruit as a snack to keep my sugar levels at a functional level.

I have a heel spur in my left heel, a torn labrum in my right hip, 2 herniated discs in my low back and 3 in my neck, and an old right shoulder injury from a youth of swimming and softball. I do not have access to a pool to swim and will not use a public pool (my son is a cancer survivor, so the germ population has been made very clear). I have a gym membership, and just bought a bicycle, but every day, something feels like crap. Currently trying to find a restorative yoga class nearby, since the closest class to me is about 45 minutes away, and sells out 2 weeks in advance. I try to make the best of my errands, parking far away, walking the whole store, taking stairs, but it isn't dedicated exercise. And I'm just so tired...

You are tired and feel lousy because you are starving and not getting enough Protein. I don't understand why you're doing a liquid diet again. You probably need more food not less. Eat more often.

My nutritionist wants me to do a week of liquids to try and restart my weight loss. She originally wanted to do a pouch reset but decided on this course instead.