Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How does the sleeve help you to change habits ?

I'm struggling to believe that I'll have the will power to not eat chocolate, cake etc. I've always been weak willed hence why I need this surgery. I'm guessing most of you have also struggled with eating the wrong foods in the past. Will it be easier to say no to these foods post sleeve than it is today ?.

I'm scared that as I'll only be able to eat small amounts, I'll want to eat yummy bad foods. Rather than the required Protein. In carb crazy. Please tell me that it will be easier to succeed after the VSG than it is today. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@lowbmi65 The Sleeve (or Bypass) is only a Tool - it will help you reduce the quantity of foods you can eat, sometimes you may not like the taste of foods you liked before, and you can sometimes get sick from certain foods - but those last 2 aren't something you can count on. Surgery is more mental than it is physical. If you have any eating habits that need to be resolved - I would consider getting some therapy to deal with them - rather than relying on surgery alone. Many have eaten around their sleeve and didn't have long-term success.

@@KristenLe thanks for the advice. I'm going to look into therapy. But I'm praying I'm one of the lucky few who go off chocolate and sweets.

It is up to you. The sleeve is a tool but the choice of what you will put in your mouth is yours. Were we all perfect no. You have to make up in your mind that you want to live a healthier life period. Will you still be able to have a piece of chocolate from time to time yes eventually-- but hopefully you willing to find your way to chocolate in other ways. A chocolate Protein shake or Protein Bar, a piece of 70% Cacao dark chocolate, chocolate flavored greek yogurt.

I felt the same about bread and since surgery I have not had a piece of bread nor do I want to. Does that mean I never will NO, its just right now it does not have any nutritional value to me and I would much rather focus on eating things that give me what I need. My plan allows me at this stage to have bread but in limited amounts. My continued weight loss helps drive it home that I don't really need it. When the time is right (maybe thanksgiving) I will have a 1 inch slice of cheesecake or chocolate cake I will savor and enjoy it, and move on with my life and If I think that might be a trigger food for me I'll steer clear. I never had a issue with sweets but carbs (bread of any kind) is my weakness, So I try not to eat things that I feel might trigger my cravings or desire for these foods like crackers, biscuits, croissants, English muffins and things like that.

The sleeve definitely helps with reducing hunger in turn helping you to make healthier choices but some people still complain of having been hungry or dealing with head hunger which is where your willpower to be successful and following your surgeons guidelines is essential. Good Luck to you!

Edited by Candygyrl

well, I just don't crave some of the junk I wanted before. fried food doesn't feel real good in my stomach, even if I take the coating off - so that is a no go, and I find I really want the lean Protein and veg.

before I would eat huge quantities of foods. now if I do have something (say it's someones birthday and I take a slice of cake) I might have a bite or two and not even finish the piece. before I'd have had a piece and if asked to take some home I would have said yes please. it's a whole different world.

for me, I used to be diabetic, and I think the diabetes drives a desire for simple carbs - and with that gone and normal blood sugars I just don't feel the love for it anymore. it feels great to have normal blood sugar all the time.

as for chocolate, when I want the chocolate - I have a Protein shake I like a really lot and a triple chocolate Power Crunch Protein Bar. so, there are some things you find an alternative that meets with your nutritional goals. as a bonus my chronically too thin teenage daughter likes them, and will often share an extra large Protein Shake with me on the way to school/work so she is getting some extra nutrition, Protein and calories too. better than her picking up my old coca cola habit!

Christinamo7 that's such good news. I'm praying I feel the same. My blood sugar is elevated so maybe that explains my crazy sugar cravings over the last year. I never had such a sweet tooth in the past.

well, I just don't crave some of the junk I wanted before. fried food doesn't feel real good in my stomach, even if I take the coating off - so that is a no go, and I find I really want the lean Protein and veg.

before I would eat huge quantities of foods. now if I do have something (say it's someones birthday and I take a slice of cake) I might have a bite or two and not even finish the piece. before I'd have had a piece and if asked to take some home I would have said yes please. it's a whole different world.

for me, I used to be diabetic, and I think the diabetes drives a desire for simple carbs - and with that gone and normal blood sugars I just don't feel the love for it anymore. it feels great to have normal blood sugar all the time.

as for chocolate, when I want the chocolate - I have a Protein shake I like a really lot and a triple chocolate Power Crunch Protein Bar. so, there are some things you find an alternative that meets with your nutritional goals. as a bonus my chronically too thin teenage daughter likes them, and will often share an extra large Protein Shake with me on the way to school/work so she is getting some extra nutrition, protein and calories too. better than her picking up my old coca cola habit!

Hi Christina, I am also diabetic. That is the main reason why I had this surgery to help me with my sugar. Since surgery, about a week ago, my sugar reads are between 100 - 130, although today after some Soup I had a 170 read.

I am really hoping the surgery will help with this. When did you start seeing progress? Or a real "permanent" change in your sugar?

Thank you very much for your input!

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

as for chocolate, when I want the chocolate - I have a Protein shake I like a really lot and a triple chocolate Power Crunch protein bar. so, there are some things you find an alternative that meets with your nutritional goals. as a bonus my chronically too thin teenage daughter likes them, and will often share an extra large Protein Shake with me on the way to school/work so she is getting some extra nutrition, protein and calories too. better than her picking up my old coca cola habit!

Hi Christina, I am also diabetic. That is the main reason why I had this surgery to help me with my sugar. Since surgery, about a week ago, my sugar reads are between 100 - 130, although today after some Soup I had a 170 read.

I am really hoping the surgery will help with this. When did you start seeing progress? Or a real "permanent" change in your sugar?

I was on Metformin before surgery which kept my blood sugars just barely acceptable. 120-130 fasting. and after surgery with Metformin out of the picture they stayed about the same to slightly lower as they had been prior to surgery with the medication. within a few months they were excellent with no medications. I haven't checked a fasting level in a couple of months but the last time I checked it was right around 100/ at 3 months my A1c was down to 6.1 and at six months it was at 5.4..... being able to eat fruit and maintain normal blood sugars is amazing to me! My medical record no longer lists me as being diabetic. I hope you enjoy the same success.

as for chocolate, when I want the chocolate - I have a Protein shake I like a really lot and a triple chocolate Power Crunch protein bar. so, there are some things you find an alternative that meets with your nutritional goals. as a bonus my chronically too thin teenage daughter likes them, and will often share an extra large Protein Shake with me on the way to school/work so she is getting some extra nutrition, protein and calories too. better than her picking up my old coca cola habit!

I was on Metformin before surgery which kept my blood sugars just barely acceptable. 120-130 fasting. and after surgery with Metformin out of the picture they stayed about the same to slightly lower as they had been prior to surgery with the medication. within a few months they were excellent with no medications. I haven't checked a fasting level in a couple of months but the last time I checked it was right around 100/ at 3 months my A1c was down to 6.1 and at six months it was at 5.4..... being able to eat fruit and maintain normal blood sugars is amazing to me! My medical record no longer lists me as being diabetic. I hope you enjoy the same success.
That is amazing! Hopefully I could get mine under control. Thanks again and Good luck!

Honestly, going through the pre-surgery and post-surgery liquid diets should help to cleanse your pallet if you do them properly. I drank A LOT of soda and really 0 Water pre-surgery but now most things taste way too sweet and I just don't like them anymore. Cake at a birthday party I can eat a few bites of and I'm done. Same for carbs. I LOVED carbs pre-surgery and sometimes my nose thinks it wants them still but if I do decide to have a bite of something, it's not nearly as satisfying as it used to be. As a matter of fact, it just simply doesn't taste good anymore and it's not worth the extra lbs to me. However, there are some things that I loved before that I still love now. One of them being sea food! I can't eat as much of it of course but I actually enjoy my food more now since I only get a little bit of it and seafood is something I don't need to feel guilty about eating. It is hard to explain, but the best I can say is that the voice inside my head that used to tell me "You love the taste of this food so eat it!" is almost entirely gone. Some explain it as a scream has become a whisper and that is pretty darn accurate. I would definitely say your tastes will most likely change but not all of them so pay attention to what your body tells you and if you know you have a weakness, use caution if you decide to give in to it because you CAN go back to craving things over time if you let it get away from you.

@@KristenLe thanks for the advice. I'm going to look into therapy. But I'm praying I'm one of the lucky few who go off chocolate and sweets.

It helped me. I didn't have Portion Control but now I do. I don't like eating and seeing it in the toilet 10mins later so, I don't eat it.

Sent from my KFJWI using the BariatricPal App

I got excited when I was told I'd have to eat Protein first. I prefer savory to sweet. Stick a steak in front of me and a slice of chocolate cake and I'll take the steak every time. I occasionally want something sweet so right now getting protein in is hard since I'm only 4 days post surgery and drinking Protein Shakes all the time is making me want something savory. I'm going to start making my own with Fage 2%, fruit, skim milk and Protein Powder. Hopefully it will be a lot less sweet but I'm counting the days to pureed food. Gimme eggs!

Edited by be4unoit