Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Former Fast Food/Junk Food Favorites

I'm about five days away from my five month post-op anniversary. In that time, I have struggled with finding foods that I like and can tolerate. My diet pretty much consists of chicken drummettes (hot wings), chicken tenders, chicken nuggets (yeah, the breaded kind!), baked fish, shrimp, and bacon. I eat a lot of cheese and yogurt. I can tolerate steamed vegetables like broccoli and green Beans. I supplement my Protein with an unflavored Protein powder in the Minute Maid Just 15 lemonades and fruit punches.

I give myself two days per week to try something new. This week, it was today and yesterday. Anyway, I decided to try a Coke Zero. I took two sips and choked. Too bitter. Today, I tried a Coke Zero Cherry. I figured maybe I just needed a little flavor. Nope. I can't believe I'm saying this but it seems I no longer like the chemical taste of soda. It's hard to describe it but it just didn't taste natural. I guess I'm just used to lemonade.

I've tried fries. Nope. Too chalky. I've tried potato chips. Sits too heavy. I do tolerate popcorn, but I can't tolerate most breads. Oh! I do love rice.

In a way, it's a victory. I used to love these foods. I could eat a whole bag of chips by myself. But now, since they don't taste the same, I can seriously do without them.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has given an old favorite a try. What about you? Any favorites that you loved that you cannot tolerate now?

I'm definitely curious why you think it's a good idea to try fries and chips' and fried breaded foods and popcorn and soda and bread and rice....

(...phew...)

...at five months out.

Interesting choices for sure! And twice a week! You're much braver than I was. :D

I wasn't perfect by any means but I certainly didn't want to find foods that I could tolerate that landed me in a WLS doctor's office in the first place.

As the saying goes, I was fast, cheap and easy. There is a country song by Tim McGraw called where the Green Grass Grows. There is a line in the lyrics about another supper from a sack, a 99 cent heart attack. That is definitely the direction I was headed. There is no way in hell I want to try anything that is going to jeopardize my future.

My "old favorites" got me to 230 pounds, gave me high blood pressure and diabetes. I intend to not go back to that, so I'm mostly staying away from fast food and junk.

But hey, to each his own.

I'm definitely curious why you think it's a good idea to try fries and chips' and fried breaded foods and popcorn and soda and bread and rice....

(...phew...)

...at five months out.

Interesting choices for sure! And twice a week! You're much braver than I was. :D

I wasn't perfect by any means but I certainly didn't want to find foods that I could tolerate that landed me in a WLS doctor's office in the first place.

I work an environment where there are many different cultures, and it's part of our office culture to Celebrate bi-weekly with some sort of food or potluck. For the most part, I decline going with my co-workers when we're celebrating someone's birthday; I avoid the pancake Thursdays or can walk away from the dozen donuts sitting on the counter. But, in spite of my self-control, there will be times when I will work in something outside of my usual routine. So, during an office meeting, if someone's passing around a bag of chips, I can keep passing it five out of six times. But maybe that sixth time, I take a chip or two to try. Or maybe I'll pick up a lumpia and take a bite. And at five months out, I'm driving past my favorite donut shop or declining BBQs because I know I'll be tempted. I'm not going to eat "perfectly" for the rest of my life, but I am learning to adjust.

As the saying goes, I was fast, cheap and easy. There is a country song by Tim McGraw called where the Green Grass Grows. There is a line in the lyrics about another supper from a sack, a 99 cent heart attack. That is definitely the direction I was headed. There is no way in hell I want to try anything that is going to jeopardize my future.

Sorry. I'm not familiar with that song. Good luck with your journey.

My "old favorites" got me to 230 pounds, gave me high blood pressure and diabetes. I intend to not go back to that, so I'm mostly staying away from fast food and junk.

But hey, to each his own.

I read where you said "mostly" stay away from fast food and junk. That reads--to me--that there's something you haven't avoided; or maybe something you've tried. I might be reading that wrong.

I'm three years out and I don't eat "perfectly". I certianly didn't tempt fate twice a week, though. ;)

Like I said. Interesting choice. But hell's bells. It's definitely your choice to make. More power to you!