Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yeast infection

I am scheduled for surgery this cming Tuesday. I've worked hard to get to this point. This weight I've lost now let's my belly skin lay against my other skin. On Friday (of course after the office had closed) I realized I had a fairly significant yeast infection. I had thought it was just a heat rash. I called the service but neither of the weight loss surgeons were on call. The Dr. I spoke with told me what to use and I started that night. It is better but is still there. Anybody out there with any experience with this? Will my surgery now be a no go?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

Since you have until tuesday, it's good that you still have a full day in front of you! you should try to call the actual surgeon's office first thing tomorrow and see if they want to put you on anything stronger. there are oral medications that act pretty quickly, but it will be up to your surgeon to decide what is best for you. a concern with going to surgery would be if there is any risk of cross-contamination with your incision sites.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want him to do it if there is any risk at all. Just curious. Have a friend coming for a few days because we own a business and it's hard for my husband to be off. Have you had the sleeve? Did you need someone with you when you went home?

Since you have until tuesday, it's good that you still have a full day in front of you! you should try to call the actual surgeon's office first thing tomorrow and see if they want to put you on anything stronger. there are oral medications that act pretty quickly, but it will be up to your surgeon to decide what is best for you. a concern with going to surgery would be if there is any risk of cross-contamination with your incision sites.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want him to do it if there is any risk at all. Just curious. Have a friend coming for a few days because we own a business and it's hard for my husband to be off. Have you had the sleeve? Did you need someone with you when you went home?

I think you're talking about intertrigo candidiasis? It's an unfortunate, rather common yeast infection that occurs in close places such as under the belly overhang and under the breasts. If were told to get over-the-counter clotrimazole cream or other anti-fungal cream, they work for I.C. Keep using the cream sparingly twice daily, as you probably were told, and you should be cleared up by surgery. Even if not, I don't see why surgery would be postponed. The affected area isn't one where surgical incisions are made. If I were you, I'd phone my surgeon's on Monday to mention the infection; I think I'd be told not to worry or just to mentioned it while being prepped for surgery.

Fyi if you haven't already found out:

- The best (but, alas, not foolproof) way to prevent recurrence of the infection is to keep the area(s) clean and dry. You can also dust the areas with baby cornstarch as an extra measure.

- Three common, generic prescription creams are nystatin; nystatin and triamcinolone; and econazole. The advantage to these is that your medical plan probably covers them, hence, they'll probably cost you less than the O-T-C products. I don't see that they're more effective than O-T-C.

- When the infection recurs, all these topical treatments seem to clear it up in a few days.

Best wishes on your surgery!

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch