Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gift for surgeon

Was wondering if its appropriate to give my surgeon a gift. He did my sleeve as well as my gallbladder and was wonderful throughout the entire process. I don't really know how to say how appreciative I am to him in person so I would rather write something with a gift. He's actually leaving the practice and moving away so it would be a thank you/moving gift. He just had a baby so I was thinking maybe a baby gift? Has anyone else given their surgeon a thank you gift?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

That's a nice thought, but I think a handwritten note alone can express it all and would be greatly appreciated. A gift wouldn't be inappropriate if that's what feels right to you. If you take that route, something for the baby would be good -- acknowledging a wonderful event and not too personal.

People who do good things for us in behind-the-scenes ways, e.g., doctors, lawyers, rarely know how we fare down the road. A note means a lot to their human sides. About a year ago I had occasion to call a lawyer whose name was unusual enough that I asked if he were related to an ER doctor who took care of me several years earlier (not bariatric related). It occurred to me when all was said and done that the doctor, because his only contact with patients was in the ER, never knew what happened later and might like to know about some people. I called the hospital to get a mailing address for the MD and learned that he'd moved on. Now here was his lawyer brother on the phone. I told him how his brother's medical recommendation had made a major, positive, long-term change in my life. He was thrilled to be able to pass the word on the the brother because he wondered about his own past clients from time to time..

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

I agree. Also, don't forget that it was a team that made your surgery a success both in and out of the operating room.

I used to work for lawyers and there was nothing worse than seeing them get all the rewards/recognition when we knew who actually did all the work.

Yes I agree! I was thinking that I should also get something for my surgical coordinator who worked with me throughout the whole insurance process (she's leaving the practice too) so I thought it would be nice to get them both a going away thank you gift. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I think a small token gift would be great. But don't forget to put into words what a difference your surgeon and staff have made in your life. When I think of what my life is now compared to how it was, thanks to this person's skills, it brings tears to my eyes.

I've received many many small gifts over the years and I've had to start putting the person's initials and date on the bottom to remember who gave me what and when. But a handwritten signed sentiment will always be remembered. It really personalizes the moment.

@@Inner Surfer Girl, my esteemed colleague in WLS, you're absolutely correct about all the staff who had a part. As a former legal client, I thank you on behalf of all the former clients who weren't thinking.

@@rebcal, the gift-giving is still a nice idea, but it can get out of hand. I still think that the personal aspect of heartfelt, handwritten notes will achieve what you intend.

Not so long ago I wrote in another BP topic about being at my practice 15 months out and 115 pounds down. I was overcome when I saw the scale and walked foolish-weeping throughout the office to thank each staff member from the surgeon and NP to the appointment maker, the medical assistant who weighed me and checked BP each visit, the insurance coordinator and a couple of administrative support people who Id never met. Each told me that I'd done the work, but I really did feel that each of them had a part in it. I could tell that my "thanks" touched them. When it comes to work, we all like to know that what we do leads somewhere.

Never underestimate the appreciation of a note and a nice review on doctor review sites that have a growing consumer audience. Also you may want to copy the head of surgery on your letter to emphasize the importance of your team to you!

I gave my surgeons hardworking coordinator a gift. I told him that out of his awesome team, she was the one person who always had answers for me and my husband, called people when they would not call me back, and that out of the entire processes that she and he were the greatest. She was the low end of the totem pole but I will never forget her always being available. I also sent her a thank you card. Our surgeon might get some chocolate Peterbrooke popcorn soon!