Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone not received support from friends or family?

My friend said I don't need the surgery and that all I had to do is go on a diet and exercise. I wish it was that easy

I have 3 sons and 2 of them are totally against the surgery, my husband isn't too thrilled either.

I feel as if I don't have any support. Really frustrating. Was wondering if anybody else had this same problem

Also, I posted in the wrong forum. I'm having the gastric bypass.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by kathileelyo

My daughter is against the surgery, and I have had to stand firm and tell her that it's going to happen, no matter what her opinion on the matter.

My mother, who suggested that I get surgery has suddenly decided not to answer my last two emails about my info being submitted to the insurance company, and then 10 days later, my email telling her that I'd been approved.

​My take on this is that I am doing this for ME. I want to get healthier, as I have several health issues that are exacerbated by my morbid obesity. I'm not doing it to find a lifemate, I'm doing this so that I don't end up with diabetes (I'm pre-diabetic right now, and on metformin for it), that I can chuck the CPAP machine, that I can walk more than half a block without having to stop to rest, etc., ad nauseum.

​That's how I'm handling it. Yes, it's hurtful that I'm not getting family support, but I do have friends who are being supportive, and as long as I have them to support me, I'll survive it.

Plus, if and when my daughter sees how well my own weight loss journey goes, she might decide to have the surgery, too, as she is dangerously obese, and also has severe chronic obstructive sleep apnea.

Good luck to you. :)

I've gotten mixed reactions but in the long run its about me. My coworker was supportive right up to my surgery then started sabotaging my progress with doubts. Hang in there the results can be amazing Im already at my first goal weight and staying strong.

Sent from my Z988 using the BariatricPal App

Yes, my support was 50/50. People that don't have weight issues don't understand. Pushing away from the table anit that easy. I'm 3 weeks post op. I feel so much better. Do what's best for you. Understanding the process and working the process. I was 380 at the start. I'm down 345. I feel much better. Have a good day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the BariatricPal App

I told limited people and waited till a couple of weeks before surgery to do that. My kids were stunned. Worried about how risky it was and then acted as if I didn't tell them. Another family member, who never dealt with weight, stated how all she had to do to be healthy was make a life style change. People who haven't dealt with the physical and emotional pain of obesity don't understand doing this. We are doing it for ourselves. Good luck to you.

Sent from my VS986 using the BariatricPal App

I was very lucky in that I was totally supported by my family and close friends. But I also made the decision early on that I was only going to share my plans with select people, personally and professionally. It's a decision I haven't once regretted.

Same situation here however I decided that regardless of what anyone thinks this is a gift I'm giving myself I am lucky as regardless if they are for or against the surgery they are support

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I'm not taking the chance of having a negative reaction from people. I have 3 cheerleaders, my mom, husband and best friend. The most important thing is I want to be as healthy and active as I possibly can. Hang in there. This is your time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

Has anyone not received support from friends or family?

My friend said I don't need the surgery and that all I had to do is go on a diet and exercise. I wish it was that easy

I have 3 sons and 2 of them are totally against the surgery, my husband isn't too thrilled either.

I feel as if I don't have any support. Really frustrating. Was wondering if anybody else had this same problem

Also, I posted in the wrong forum. I'm having the gastric bypass.

Hi,Kathleen

Your not alone I don't have any support for my family they said the same thing,I should work out a make a diet but instead a have my operation on September 19 2016

I spend 3 day in the hospital and now I'm home,it's so frustrate I got tired of the liquids,it's been one week today and I can't take more of broth Soup,crystal light,proteinshake and Water,I have gas on stomach and hurt something more that others days . I have the sleeve operation .your not alone there more people like us ,I'm staving to he'll

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

It's a lot nicer when you can do what others do to get rid of the weight and be healthier again, but not all people are that fortunate.

We are some of those less fortunate people, but we're taking the step of getting a tool to help us become healthier.

I think that takes a LOT of bravery.

Edited by Sumaire

The likelihood of losing 50 pounds on your own and keeping it off for 5 years is about 2%. Most of us have more to lose than that, I need to lose twice that much. My husband is very supportive. I have told my adult kids and don't plan to tell anyone else. People who don't have a weight problem will never understand, and other people with a weight problem will most likely be jealous. Just limit who you tell.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using the BariatricPal App

You all have awesome responses. Thank you

Last night I was shocked. I bought Biotin pills to start taking now before my surgery. My husband asked what they were and I told him. I told him I could lose some hair (I have VERY thick hair) He asked me if I'm worried about the hair and I told him "not as much as I'm worried about my diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea and high cholesterol" His response was "that is true, your health is more important"

Maybe he is FINALLY starting to see my side of this surgery.

@@kathileelyo People who lose the weight on their own (without surgery) have a 5% chance of maintaining that loss. Those are really crappy odds. This is by far not the easy way out - so try and explain that to them. WLS is just a tool to help you - you still need to do the work. If they are worried about the surgery itself - it's safer than knee surgery. You are doing this for your health. Good luck!