Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still thinking about the change.

I've been so used to my band that the idea of switching to another type of WLS is rather daunting. I feel if I gain weight with the band, I can just adjust it as I have throughout all these years. You can't adjust the sleeve. Anyone else feel or have felt this way?

Yeah, I thought about that too but I went ahead and had the revision done. I was very attached to my band. I thought exactly what you posted when I thought of a revision surgery. I know someone who had the bypass around the same time as my band, and now they are twice as heavy. :(

I initially went in for a fill since I've been traveling, working and moving, I hadn't seen a fill doctor for a couple of years since I was still doing well and losing with the level of Fluid I had. So when I finally made an appointment with my current bariatric center, just to check my Fluid level, and maybe get more added, they suggested the revision, and an unfill right then due to an enlarged esophagus (Too tight again, 2nd time for me). Gasp!

I wasn't a happy camper because I knew I was going to gain some weight back once they unfill me. No way, I just want a fill please. Um, no can do... Either rest my band for months again and get refilled & struggle to find that sweet spot again or rest my band and get a revision. That's why I opted for the revision so I wouldn't go through the weight gain-weight loss cycle again since I had a habit of being too tight. I was still working to get to goal again after my first enlarged esophagus episode.

I almost didn't go through with it. I'm happy with the results, the physical sensation that I get from the sleeve vs the band when I eat, as well as the weight loss results so far. I'm 24 days post-op and I'm down 22 lbs, and it's been relatively easy staying on program. Haven't thrown up or slimed yet. I guess from the band all these years, I know when to stop. That familiar pressure in the back of our throat... Stop or else. ^^

But, having said that, It is all very new to me though so check back in a few months lol.

Since you're at goal, does your doctor still want you to have a revision, do you have issues with your band? Either way, hope it works out for you.

Yes, but I've been having problems off and on with a dilated pouch. They think it's time for me to get the sleeve. Common? Being unfilled I can't stay at goal weight no matter what. If they just remove any liquid, I eat like a horse and I put on weight in a hurry. Keep me posted how it goes with your journey through sleeve land. I've done lots of the pre-op testing but still haven't bit the bullet yet. Thanks for the share. You almost got me convinced lol.

Yes, but I've been having problems off and on with a dilated pouch. They think it's time for me to get the sleeve. Common? Being unfilled I can't stay at goal weight no matter what. If they just remove any liquid, I eat like a horse and I put on weight in a hurry. Keep me posted how it goes with your journey through sleeve land. I've done lots of the pre-op testing but still haven't bit the bullet yet. Thanks for the share. You almost got me convinced lol.

I got my band in May 2011..I am in the process of revising to a sleeve. My experience with the band was once I had to have an unfill due to severe vomiting and acid reflux I never could find my sweet spot again. I get what you're saying about getting it adjusting and mot being able to do that with the sleeve, however getting my band adjusted wasnt working anyway right! So sleeve here I come!

I'm am starting the process for a revision this month but I've had a lot of complications with my band 4 years now and I can't live the rest of my life with it but also can't live the rest of my life without having something there. What I like about the sleeve is the hormone that makes you hungry is cut out. I've gained my weight back and it's possible that the band has caused a hernia which has possibly been what's causing this my complications causing my stomach to prolapse or I should say my pouch. My friend chose to have the sleeve procedure and it has been very successful, I look forward to having the sleeve procedure done I cannot wait to get this band out Good luck 2 you!

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

I'm having revision surgery on October 18th. So ready to say goodbye to my demon band! It didn't take long to get insurance approval because I've suffered through years of issues-more fills and unfills than I ever imagined would be possible. My esophagus has become worn out from the work of pushing food past the band. I've spent months with an empty band because the PA at my surgeons office insisted that the esophagus would recover.

Done, done and done....

In pre-op diet mode now and the band is once again emptied out.

Counting down

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Unfortunately my oesophagus stretched too far as well (4x normal size). Did yours ever recover? 4 months since it has been emptied. Getting barium x ray next week but still throwing up????

Unfortunately my oesophagus stretched too far as well (4x normal size). Did yours ever recover? 4 months since it has been emptied. Getting barium x ray next week but still throwing up

I don't know if my esophagus will ever completely recover but I'm revising to sleeve next week.

Right now my band is empty in preparation for surgery but yesterday I got "stuck" on a Protein shake so that shows me that I'm making the right decision.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Wow. I haven't been on this forum since it was "Lapbandtalk.com" I've had my lapband since June 2008. Went from 265 to 175 and then gradually gained and settled in at 240 for the last couple of years. In 2010 I had reconstructive surgery to remove my panis (-16 lbs in that surgery alone). My lapband complications include Barrett's esophagus, infections, and finally it has slipped. All Fluid was removed last December. I'm having revision surgery to sleeve next month. A little nervous about it but am resigned to the the fact it has to happen. My skeletal structure cannot bear any weight gain. So this is going to happen. I'm trying to get excited about it and get in the pre-change-in-life mood. So far it's not happening.

Unfortunately my oesophagus stretched too far as well (4x normal size). Did yours ever recover? 4 months since it has been emptied. Getting barium x ray next week but still throwing up????

Mine always did, but it always took a few months with no liquid in it. I believe most of the time, your body will normalize.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

I revised to rny and am only mad I didn't do it sooner. My pouch is bigger than the usual rny pouch because the band stretches the stomach. Honestly, I'm about 9 weeks post op and feel perfect. All the annoying band issues, gone...I feel like my pouch is the perfect size actually. Can't imagine it being 1/2 this size. Down 46lbs today...can't wait to see where this takes me.