Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op diet cranky pants.

Hi everyone!

I am scheduled for sleeve surgery on October the 3rd. I am on the 6th day of my surgeon's strick pre-op diet: protien shakes and broth.

I am soooo cranky! My poor husband! My poor kids!!! I am usually a VERY happy-go-lucky person, cool and calm, and hardly anything would light my temper. My husband alsways said he appreciates my low to no temper. Well, I am now wondering if that "cool as a cucumber" personality was due to food and being able to enjoy it. Now, being restricted and having to drink these shakes for calories, I am so irritable.

Last night I was in bed at 10 reading, then came out to the kitchen at 11 for some Water and saw my 13 y/o son was up, using my MacBook, and had soda cans strewn about. I abruptly snatched away my MacBook, told him to clean up his crap and go to bed! Soooo not like me!!! I then stammered off to bed feeling angry.

Does this get better?? Will my old, casual, happy self return? I'm NO fun at all to be around right now. I should send my whole family away to the Bahamas for the next three weeks, LOL. Or wait, may I should go ;-)

Edited by The New Kel

@@The New Kel It's normal - and can continue or worsen a bit post op due to the hormones being released by fat as it breaks down. Just apologize ahead of time. :unsure: Some say exercise will help (I'm pre-op so haven't tested that theory) - so when you're feeling exceptionally grumpy - go for a walk. I start mine 10/4/16 and have already warned my SO.

Good luck with your surgery - hang in there!!!

@@The New Kel It's normal - and can continue or worsen a bit post op due to the hormones being released by fat as it breaks down. Just apologize ahead of time. :unsure: Some say exercise will help (I'm pre-op so haven't tested that theory) - so when you're feeling exceptionally grumpy - go for a walk. I start mine 10/4/16 and have already warned my SO.

Hi there,

Thanks for this advice! I love the idea of just taking a walk and blowing off steam. I think my dog would LOVE that too! I can take him! I should tell my family now that more of this might come, and to be warned, but sorry in advance!

Good luck to you as well!! We will have to keep in touch since are both October sleevers.

I sent out a WARNO when I went off caffeine and Diet Coke. For about a good week, I hated people! Everybody got on my nerves and I felt anxiety. Thank goodness it resolved itself and I'm back to my old self. I've never been "cool as a cucumber" but I think before I speak again. lol Good luck with everything. I'm sure it will all be over soon and you're family will be happy you made the choice to get healthy.

I sent out a WARNO when I went off caffeine and Diet Coke. For about a good week, I hated people! Everybody got on my nerves and I felt anxiety. Thank goodness it resolved itself and I'm back to my old self. I've never been "cool as a cucumber" but I think before I speak again. lol Good luck with everything. I'm sure it will all be over soon and you're family will be happy you made the choice to get healthy.

Thanks for the encouragement! I just took Kristen's advice and walked the dog around my neighborhood. It felt good! I'll get through it... B)

I am on day 2 of liquid diet and have zero patience. I'm feeling really bad about it. My husband is getting the brunt of it. I feel your pain. It really is so much more difficult than i ever imagined.

Sent from my LGLS770 using the BariatricPal App

It sucks, but I try to think that this is the hardest part. After surgery hopefully we won't be as "hangry"! :blush:

One night of anger, and you are worried? I think your child should have been in bed anyway, and let's face it, if they are used to a mess they will leave a mess. If not, you were justified. Relax. It is hard to go through the mental part of this surgery, but at 66 thank God I didn't have to have potato chips in my house for a kid. I definitely have anger issues since the sleeve and I do not know why. I guess it boiled down to hormonal changes. There are medicines for that. Forewarn your spouse of the possibility, and to help you if he is concerned. I recently went on Wellbutrin and see a great difference. Good luck Mama!

it will get better as after the surgery, you wont feel hungry....but yes, i had frustrations too, when i would feel them building i would verbally remind my family that i am running on fumes so plez help me out and work with me here...my husband stopped cooking aromatic foods and did salads or sandwiches so as not to stir up anxiety with food...lol...i would let out alot of my frustrations just vocally reminding my family alot " I am hungry" when ever the urge struck me...lol...my husband laughs and jokes about it now...even the nurse at the hospital on my way in for surgery....lol.

Sent from my SM-S820L using the BariatricPal App

One night of anger, and you are worried? I think your child should have been in bed anyway, and let's face it, if they are used to a mess they will leave a mess. If not, you were justified. Relax. It is hard to go through the mental part of this surgery, but at 66 thank God I didn't have to have potato chips in my house for a kid. I definitely have anger issues since the sleeve and I do not know why. I guess it boiled down to hormonal changes. There are medicines for that. Forewarn your spouse of the possibility, and to help you if he is concerned. I recently went on Wellbutrin and see a great difference. Good luck Mama!

Thank you for this advice. I have two young teens in the house and they eat like crazy!! It's hard. I hope the anger subsides but if not I will seek counseling. My intuition is that I used to push down and ignore anger by eating. Can't do that anymore.

Edited by The New Kel

I can totally relate! I'm a laid back person as a rule, but I didn't realize how much of everyday life revolves around food! I am 3 weeks post op, and I agree that the liquid diet can be trying.

Tomorrow is my 60th birthday ..my heritage is Italian.. Guess how we Celebrate? FOOD!!

So I told my family don't bother because I am not at the point to have solids.. Least of all cake!

I have been fortunate so far, no pain, did well with anything I ate or drank.. Solids will be the true test next week!

I'm down 22 lbs so far, and in the end it will be worth the ups and downs! I have them too, and walking and staying busy helps!

Forget the Pasta but a couple meatballs and marinara will taste great soon! Happy birthday!

I just had to reply in the pre-op cranky pants forum...I'm wearing the same pants! lol I am on day 2 of pre-op diet and I feel sooo sick! Headaches and nausea...Bariatric Advantage shakes are clearly a disadvantage right about now. At least I am not hungry I suppose?! Anyone else have these issues?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App