Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coffee Controversy: to Drink or Not to Drink

Coffee confusion abounds. Some surgeons say, "Sure." Others say, "Never!"

And the forums? As many opinions as there are people.

Bariatric Dietitian Elizabeth Anderson sets us straight with science.

"Elizabeth, regular coffee after surgery or Decaf for life?

Let's keep this simple. If you can drink a cup of regular coffee every day without trouble, go for it.

This isn't my opinion folks and that's why it's so magically delicious.

There is a ground-swell movement among bariatric dietitians to fact-check some of the standard nutrition no-no's we've been sharing with clients.

If there's no science to back up the recommendation, we're not going to keep promoting it.

The latest worn-out bariatric rules without evidence? No straws, no gum, no soda.

Today I'm dispelling the no coffee/caffeine rule.

A recent review of the scientific literature reveals no evidence supporting the avoidance of caffeinated drinks to prevent dehydration or stomach lining damage.

“Here I come quad espresso over ice???” Whoa, Nelly.

Sane caffeine consumption after WLS means:

1. waiting six weeks post op or until you are fully healed from surgery

2. aiming to limit regular coffee to one cup per day

3. groping with the painful truth that a medium pumpkin spice latte with whip = 420 calories

Dietitians are working hard to create nutrition plans individually based on client’s unique needs and wants.

The next time you hear one of those bariatric no no’s, ask the provider if the current science is still robustly supporting that recommendation.

It might take them aback a bit but a good provider will thank you for your smart thoughtfulness and self-advocacy.

Thank you for this informed advice! I would love to see more posts like this about some of the other myths that have been debunked by science. My surgeon told me from the beginning to ignore advice about straws, SF gum and crushing pills, which has been very helpful to me. I would love to hear more about carbonated beverages and any others we have debates about on this forum.

I drank coffee pre-op, I drunk coffee straight post op, drink a big jug every day, and never had any issues with it.

My surgeon advised me not to give up coffee.

My first drink in the hospital was with a straw, again no issues with straws.

I chew gum at times, and this has been fine also.

I gave up all alcohol 9 years ago, and I will not give up my enjoyment of coffee.

So, for me no issues with the "controversial" drinks, straws etc.

The only thing I haven't tried are carbonated drinks post op. I was never a big soda drinker, so I don't need it and I don't miss it.

I don't get the controversy...... Either i drink coffee and be the super amazing bubbly cheerful loving incredible person i am..... Or......... No Coffee... and you get the Devil on Earth.

See... i pick coffee and so do the people around me..... lol

I don't get the controversy...... Either i drink coffee and be the super amazing bubbly cheerful loving incredible person i am..... Or......... No Coffee... and you get the Devil on Earth.

See... i pick coffee and so do the people around me..... lol

I like the cut of your jib.

I drink carbonated beverages everyday with my doctors approval. Mind you - I don't drink soda - regular or diet, both of which my doctor frowns upon. But I drink sparkling Water daily. I have been since about 1-2 months post op. 6 months post-op now.