Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Conflicting info!

I'm 4 months post VSG. I haven't lost any weight in 1 month. I am going crazy... I know that stalls are common, however I have no idea how much I should be eating. Different surgeons in the same office have given me different ideas of how many calories I should eat. MFP says 1800 calories a day to lose 2 lbs a week, but that doesn't take into account that I had WLS...

Typical Menu:

Breakfast - 1 egg omelet with turkey sausage and cheese

lunch - Leftovers from dinner, usually just some type of Protein

dinner - Protein (chicken tenders, beef roast, shrimp)

I don't snack or eat carbs. And I drink 50 oz of Water daily...

If I get different information all the time, what's a girl to do?

I want to break this stall so bad!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@debd80 Don't pay any attention to MFP. You should be concerned with Protein and Water. How much Protein are you getting? You definitely need to increase your Water (non-calorie drinks) - that's too low and could stall / stop weight loss. If you're not getting at least 60 gms of protein (maybe even more) -you should increase that as well. You might not be eating enough.

I think you need to up your calories a bit by adding a high Protein snack like cheese, Jerky or nuts. I was about at 700-800 calories at 4 months out I think.

This surgery isn't like a normal diet. Our bodies go into starvation mode, and they way to keep your metabolism going is to keep slowly INCREASING calories and Protein as time goes on. You should also be getting at least 80 grams of protein.

I was told to eat 1000-1200 calories by my surgeon, but then was also told that might be too much. Or that I need to eat

more carbs. Everyone has different views which is why I'm having such a hard time finding a plan.

@@debd80 Don't pay any attention to MFP. You should be concerned with Protein and Water. How much Protein are you getting? You definitely need to increase your Water (non-calorie drinks) - that's too low and could stall / stop weight loss. If you're not getting at least 60 gms of protein (maybe even more) -you should increase that as well. You might not be eating enough.

I was told 50 oz was the mark to hit? How much were you told to drink?

Here's the thing though. What worked for me may not work for you. So you need to kind of be your own guinea pig and keep experimenting to see what works and what doesn't. What worked for me was slowly increasing calories until I was at 1100 by a year out, 80 grams of Protein, less than 50 grams of carbs and moderate exercise. Once I got close to goal, I upped my carbs a bit to around 70 or 80 in preparation for maintenence. Play around and see what works! Sometimes the body needs a good shock to the system to get things moving again, so suddenly upping calories and protein may very well do it. It used to work for me to break stalls.

I am shocked you were only told 50 oz. of Water. The recommended amount of Water for anyone, weight loss or not, is 64 oz. As a WLS patient and someone who is, hopefully, exercising regularly, you should be getting even more than that. I usually get well over 100 oz. a day.

As for calories, that shouldn't be your primary concern right now. While it is important to be getting ENOUGH calories to avoid slowing your metabolism, you probably aren't at risk for getting too many calories. You should be focusing on Protein. Aim for at least 80 per day, though my NUT told me to try to get up to 100 as quickly as possible post-op.

I think you should definitely add in some Snacks to increase your calories and Protein. I was instructed to eat 5-6 times per day. My "typical" day during my weight loss phase looked something like this:

Breakfast: protein bar/shake

Morning Snack: string cheese

Lunch: leftover meat from a previous dinner

Afternoon Snack: Greek yogurt

Dinner: meat (whatever the protein was from what my husband cooked for dinner)

Evening Snack: protein bar/shake

That got me up to right around 100 grams of protein and about 1200 calories.

Like @@Babbs said, you have to experiment with yourself and find what works for you

I have to keep my calories up, or I stall. If I am feeling lazy or just don't feel like eating much and let my calories fall to 1100. I stall out. I have to eat at least 1300, 1500 is best for me to lose. I need over 100g of Protein each day.

I had to work my calories up over time.

You didn't post exactly what you are eating. No amounts, no grams. Are you weighing and measuring your food?

I get about 900 calories a day, 60 grams of Protein and no more than 40 grams of carbs. I only eat 1/2 cup at a time

I'm 4 months post VSG. I haven't lost any weight in 1 month. I am going crazy... I know that stalls are common, however I have no idea how much I should be eating. Different surgeons in the same office have given me different ideas of how many calories I should eat. MFP says 1800 calories a day to lose 2 lbs a week, but that doesn't take into account that I had WLS...

Typical Menu:

Rather than focus on calories I focus on protein. You mentioned in a follow-up post that you are only getting 60 grams of protein. That seems low. So does 50 oz of Water.< /p>

My minimums are 100 grams protein and 64 oz Fluid.

Try for AT LEAST 80 grams of protein (that is the minimum of what my surgeon recommends for women with a lower starting BMI, for those of us with a starting BMI of over 50 he recommends at least 100 grams).

Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

Thanks everyone. I just have a hard time understanding why I'm not losing weight, even if I'm not hitting my goals. Even people on Naked and Afraid or in extreme circumstances lose weight without out eating at all, which kind of debunks the "starvation mode", so eating as little as I am, I should be seeing some weight loss :/

Thanks everyone. I just have a hard time understanding why I'm not losing weight, even if I'm not hitting my goals. Even people on Naked and Afraid or in extreme circumstances lose weight without out eating at all, which kind of debunks the "starvation mode", so eating as little as I am, I should be seeing some weight loss :/

People on those shows are only starving for a couple of weeks and they DO lose weight in those few weeks. If they stayed in that environment for months on end, their metabolism would slow to a crawl and the would go into "starvation mode" as well. You have been starving your body for 4 months now (maybe more if you had a pre-op diet). That's why it's critical to get your calories up. The longer you continue to starve your body, the harder it will be to jump-start your metabolism again.

Typical Menu:

Sometimes you need to confuse your body. Taking in lower calories and low to no carbs makes the body think it's starving and stores the food so to speak. Occasionally it's good to have a day where you eat what you normally wouldn't, like some Pasta or something. It triggers the body to think differently and then the weight lose restarts

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App