Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! 10 weeks out and I stopped losing!

HI - I'm new here. I had my sleeve 10 weeks ago. I was 212 and I'm now 174.8, which i should feel is great, but I haven't lost in two weeks and I'm getting concerned. I can eat quite a bit more than expected but don't.

So...here are the details. I walk 2 miles a day (this is the first I've ever exercised in years), I'm 51. I try to stay under 800 calories and under 40 carbs. I get 80-120 Proteins a day. I make sure to drink my water...so what is going on?

Can someone help me know what's going on? I'm going crazy feeling like I wasted time doing the surgery. Help!

google 3 week stall. it's completely normal. you will get back to loosing again, but it will continue to slow down as you get smaller, closer to your goal.

I had a couple of similar plateaus in my weight loss. Not sure if it was hormonal, some weird thing with Water weight, or what, but one time I stopped losing entirely for 3 weeks and another time for almost 4 weeks, even though I was following all my instructions (similar to yours) to the letter.

I upped my exercise, but not drastically. I only weighed myself once per week. And both times, I eventually got on the scale and after not losing for 3 or 4 weeks, found myself down 5 - 7 lbs. If you keep doing what you are supposed to, eventually the weight will have to drop off, absent some strange thyroid problem or something. Give it another couple of weeks before you start to worry too much. Good luck!

I'm still too new to the forum (had my surgery 08-18) but my surgeon told me to get a minimum of 75 grams of Protein per day and I've seen other postings as high as 100 grams/day. What did your doctor recommend?

HI - I'm new here. I had my sleeve 10 weeks ago. I was 212 and I'm now 174.8, which i should feel is great, but I haven't lost in two weeks and I'm getting concerned. I can eat quite a bit more than expected but don't.

So...here are the details. I walk 2 miles a day (this is the first I've ever exercised in years), I'm 51. I try to stay under 800 calories and under 40 carbs. I get 80-120 Proteins a day. I make sure to drink my Water...so what is going on?

Can someone help me know what's going on? I'm going crazy feeling like I wasted time doing the surgery. Help!

Why are you trying to stay under 800 calories? That doesn't sound healthy at all.

Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

@@Inner Surfer Girl I stayed under 800 calories a day for the first six months per my team's instructions and never had any health problems. That's my team's plan for most sleeve and bypass patients, and they have one of the best rates of excess weight lost and lowest rates of post-op deaths and complications in the country. They are very aggressive about follow-up check-ups and blood work, though, and I think that contributes a lot to the safety of the program.

@@Inner Surfer Girl I stayed under 800 calories a day for the first six months per my team's instructions and never had any health problems. That's my team's plan for most sleeve and bypass patients, and they have one of the best rates of excess weight lost and lowest rates of post-op deaths and complications in the country. They are very aggressive about follow-up check-ups and blood work, though, and I think that contributes a lot to the safety of the program.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was not given calories to follow but nutrition goals to reach. (90 or more grams of Protein and 90 ounces of liquid) I worry about calories now that I'm walking 5 miles a day and swimming or bowling as well through the week. I'm afraid I'm not eating enough but I feel better if I take my Vitamins and reach my gram goals. So the calories don't matter as much to me. Some days I burn 1000 calories and may only eat 900. I don't know if that's good or bad. Thoughts?

Edited by Deneishia

Keep doing what you're doing. It's not unusual to hit stalls as long as you're meeting your Protein, Fluid and exercise targets, it'll all catch up at some point and even out. I'll be 12 weeks or 3 mos tomorrow. Keep a weekly log. If I didn't , I might think I was at a stall. I notice sometimes when I don't think I've lost weight I go back and look over my log and see that I actually lost 2 or 3 lbs.

Anyways, lately I've been losing a little slower than I had been. Not worried though-- I felt somewhat stalled or like I've been back and forth with the same 2 lbs for 2 or 3 weeks. I have a goal to get to Onederland by 10/1 and since I set that goal I felt like my weight loss halted. It's probably all mental. I don't worry too much because I know I'm doing what I need to do and guess what?? It's gotta go somewhere! Started my cycle today and I realized that probably was the issue. I've felt like it was coming for the last 2 weeks but because of my irregularity pre op I expected it not to. Cramping, fatigue coupled with being super busy since the kids started school homework-- basketball games, football games, fall ball (softball) on the weekends, housework, grocery shopping, meal prepping, making time for hubby, work-- who has time??? So needless to say my exercise regimen has not been what it should...

I don't watch calories. Only counting Proteins and carbs right now. Sometimes if you up your calories for a couple days or increase your Fluid intake, you may see some movement. Stalls-- they happen. Don't think about it too much. If it's been about 6 weeks or you're gaining-- then talk to your team.

@@Nancy Rainey

When you are not losing on the scale, take your measurements. Everyone stalls along the way in weight loss.

This happens, and probably will keep happening as you continue losing. Your body has to stop periodically to reassess what is going on. Your body is built to stay alive in the harshest of survival scenarios. It answers with knee jerk reactions to the stimulus of rapid weight loss. It doesn't care if you want this to happen, it only knows that all the signals are telling it that it's starving. That's primal built in survival instinct, built up over millenniums.

Once it adjusts to the new weight loss and realizes that it's not actually in danger, it'll allow more weight loss to happen. As you continue losing, these all stop periods of readjustment will repeat, sometimes in shorter durations, and sometimes longer.

As long as you continue following your doctor's guidelines for diet and exercise, you will start losing again. But it'll never happen in a set or linear fashion, nor will your weight loss numbers identically follow someone else's.

Try not weighing yourself so often if the stalls stress you out. Best of luck!

But if I remember correctly you had a lower Protein goal.

I was not given calories to follow but nutrition goals to reach. (90 or more grams of Protein and 90 ounces of liquid) I worry about calories now that I'm walking 5 miles a day and swimming or bowling as well through the week. I'm afraid I'm not eating enough but I feel better if I take my Vitamins and reach my gram goals. So the calories don't matter as much to me. Some days I burn 1000 calories and may only eat 900. I don't know if that's good or bad. Thoughts?

I think if you are exercising intensely you need more calories. Your body is going to resist letting go of any weight if you aren't eating enough to support your basic metabolism let alone intense exercise. You need a deficit but not an extreme deficit. You need lots of Protein, lots of Water as well as good fats and some good carbs.

I was going through the same thing and my surgeon told me to increase my calories and sure enough, the lbs started falling off. Not getting in enough calories your body is holding on to what it has.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I was going through the same thing and my surgeon told me to increase my calories and sure enough, the lbs started falling off. Not getting in enough calories your body is holding on to what it has.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

What did your consultant suggest raising your calories to?