Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate optifast!

So my doctor has sent me Optifast for the next 2 weeks pre-surgery. I tried both the vanilla and chocolate they sent. The vanilla made me gag, couldn't drink it at all and was able to drink the chocolate if I held my nose. Not sure how I'm going to make it through the next 2 weeks like this. I'm not sweet lover to begin with so this artificial sweet stuff is just gross.

Has anyone else done anything different in the two weeks? I can't be the only one.

I haven't tried ice. thanks. I've put a call into the dietician at my dr's office to see if I can substitute. I had band surgery in 2005 and I remember going on a liquid diet, but no shakes. I remember doing bouillon and sugar free Jello and stuff.

I've tried GNC golean shakes before. I don't like them but i can tolerate them so I'm hoping she'll be ok with that. on the bright side my teeth have never been cleaner now that i'm brushing them 5 times a day to get rid of the taste.

They had me on stinking carnation instant Breakfast shakes during the pre op. I was supposed to drink 5 per day and then leverage Clear liquids like broth, Jello and popsicles.

Those shakes are discustingly sweet and I remember if I was able to get 3 down a day i was lucky.

Now, the only shake I will use is Premier Protein - chocolate. They are the perfect amount of sweet and because they are in a box like container you cannot smell the Protein. There is no grit, no fuss and no muss.

They are the only protein i will tolerate other than from food of course.

@@Travelher Did you try blending them with ice? I have to do Bariatric fusion shakes for my pre-op and I'm worried they're going to be horrible. My instructions recommend blending with ice. Maybe alter the taste some with sugar free flavoring? If you can't drink them - i would ask your surgeon if you can get an alternative shake.

Bariatric fusion is one of the better in terms of flavor. I never needed to add anything to them, including ice.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

So my doctor has sent me Optifast for the next 2 weeks pre-surgery. I tried both the vanilla and chocolate they sent. The vanilla made me gag, couldn't drink it at all and was able to drink the chocolate if I held my nose. Not sure how I'm going to make it through the next 2 weeks like this. I'm not sweet lover to begin with so this artificial sweet stuff is just gross.

Has anyone else done anything different in the two weeks? I can't be the only one.

I didnt use the liquid diet stuff my dr sent. Most of it was nasty and i had a large supply of WonderSlim product that tasted a bit better. I mostly used the premade shakes that matched my surgeons diet models. I needed it to be easy, grab and go stuff since my husband was eating real food. If i had to take the time to doctor it, there was a higher chance that i would be tempted by his food.

@@Travelher, with all due respect for our esteemed colleagues, their brand suggestions are subjective. You might find all the products named as pukey as Optifast. You could end up spending a king's ransom for no good reason.

Before doing that, it may help if you try adding flavorings to the Optifast, e.g., vanilla extract; unsweetened cocoa; cinnamon and/or other sweet spices; almond extract or any flavor you like; If you're not forbidden coffee, instant coffee powder; etc., et al., etc. There also are the sugar-free (sweetened w/Splenda) 'syrups' by Torani, DaVinci and one or two others.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

Prior to the sleeve my husband spent two one-year programs on Optifast. $10,000. You can easily do this!

They had me on stinking carnation instant Breakfast shakes during the pre op. I was supposed to drink 5 per day and then leverage Clear liquids like broth, Jello and popsicles.

Those shakes are discustingly sweet and I remember if I was able to get 3 down a day i was lucky.

Now, the only shake I will use is Premier Protein - chocolate. They are the perfect amount of sweet and because they are in a box like container you cannot smell the Protein. There is no grit, no fuss and no muss.

They are the only protein i will tolerate other than from food of course.

I agree

So far premier Protein Shakes are my favorite. ...

But

I do also like the Quest caramel

....but only if you mix it with ice and skim milk

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

The good news is the dietician told me I can switch to the GNC shakes, which while not great are tolerable. She also told me I can supplement with vegetables or vegetable Soup. So I'm in a good place now, now I just have to work my way up to four shakes a day. Only did 3 yesterday, but I know I need to do 4 to hit my Protein goals. Yesterday was super hard because I had an ultrasound at 3 and was told I could eat nothing for 6 hours prior so had to cram my shakes in afterwards. Down 6lbs as of this morning.