Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tricare insurance

I am in the process as well. I had my first consult with the surgeon August 5th and my first weigh in was August 11th. My surgeon's bariatric program is 4-6 months long. Since Tricare Standard does not specify how many months u need for the medically supervised diet/weigh-ins, I am going with 4 months. I have read on other threads that some people sent in previous medically supervised diet/weigh-ins to the insurance and they were approved. Others only did a month or two and were approved. Good luck with your journey!

Edited by sarcruze

I have Tricare west. I was very concerned about getting authorized. At my initial appointment the doctor's office told me that Tricare doesn't cover the sleeve. I knew this wasn't true because I had checked the insurance before I even started. They double checked and it was a covered procedure. I went with an in network surgeon and not the MTF. I was not successful in getting the nutritionist or psych covered. My primary care doctor initiated the first referral and authorization to the surgeon, which they denied. However I chose to proceed and paid my copay and got the insurance adjusted rate for my visits. My surgeon has a person whose entire job is coordinating care with insurance and hospital. She did a great job and I had full authorization for my procedure within two weeks. My surgery is 10/18. The hospital registration nurse called this morning and confirmed that she had the authorization and had spoken to Tricare this morning. I have a $25 copay for the procedure. I expected a higher copay for the hospital stay and half expected her to say Tricare had made a mistake on the initial authorization. I'm very excited. Based on my experience on the forum, the insurance experience varies greatly between regions and even between surgeons.

My copay (prime) ended us being $25.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Thanks for all the responses. I had my first nutrition appointment and have to do 6 more. I should be having my surgery next April or so. I guess Tricare standard is different. Where is everyone located ?

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

California

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I am in Arizona. I have one more weigh in and nutrition appt left which will be on November 2nd. I still have to take a pre-op class and that will be on Monday. I also have an appt with the sleep doctor on the 27th to get my results and see if I need a cpap. I have to get all the cpap stuff situated before they will even send in my paperwork to set a surgery date. I hope all that stuff happens quickly. I also have to get a cardiac clearance because my ecg came back abnormal. I have that appt on November 1st. The next 2 weeks are gonna be booked up

I am in Arizona. I have one more weigh in and nutrition appt left which will be on November 2nd. I still have to take a pre-op class and that will be on Monday. I also have an appt with the sleep doctor on the 27th to get my results and see if I need a cpap. I have to get all the cpap stuff situated before they will even send in my paperwork to set a surgery date. I hope all that stuff happens quickly. I also have to get a cardiac clearance because my ecg came back abnormal. I have that appt on November 1st. The next 2 weeks are gonna be booked up

That's so exciting! I hope all goes well

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App