Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anything helps, I'm new here!

Hi everyone!!

I've made the decision to have WLS, and have already started the process. I was originally set on the sleeve but after talking to my surgeon, I've decided on the DS.

* What are some things that helped you prior to surgery in preparation for the lifestyle change?

* How was life after surgery?

* Does anyone have the issue of saggy skin, if so how do you deal with it?

-- I'd love any insight, suggestions, negative and positive things you've experienced so far and to learn about your success story behind DS.

Thanks in advance! I'm super excited for this lifestyle change but looking for all the information I can.

Sent from my SM-G928T using the BariatricPal App

Things to do:

1. Take a good before photograph so that you have something to compare it with after surgery. Many people, like myself, fail to actually see how obese we really are. Then after surgery, we question how effective surgery was. I have enclosed my before and 6 month after photo as an example below.

2. Walk 30 minutes each and every day before surgery, walk every 2 hours after surgery and walk every day for the first year after surgery. This will help the recovery process go smoothly and reduce the pain from surgery.

3. Give up all caffeine and carbonated beverages now if you haven't already. Six months prior to surgery, I went cold turkey on by 6 diet coke a day habit. I lost 20 pounds pre-op on that change alone. But after I went cold turkey, I suffered from a week of severe withdrawal (severe headaches and body aches). Since you have to give this up prior to surgery, it is best to do it now so that you do not compound the effects of your surgery with caffeine withdrawal.

Operation.jpg

I was sleeved April 20, 2015 and couldn't be happier with my decision, surgery, recovery, and progress so far. It has changed my life.

I will echo the recommendation about caffeine and carbonation. Weaning myself off of carbonation and caffeine slowly pre-op was much easier and better than going cold-turkey for surgery. I can't imagine having to deal with caffeine withdrawal along with everything else.

Thank you for your suggestions. I'm in the process of no smoking. And that's a hard task but definitely mind over matter. I'm hoping once I get that withdrawal over with, I can move toward no caffeine as I'm a night shifter and loveee coffee. :)

Keep the great advice coming. Eating habits, favorite Protein bars and shakes etc...

re: saggy skin. Almost everyone who loses a massive amount of weight has that. I have some but it's fairly easy to hide - I just wear elbow-length (or longer) sleeves and slightly oversized, longer shirts that cover my abs. Some people wear Shapewear to help with it (like Spanx). And some people have plastic surgery

Welcome!

You will find tons of info on pre op and post op just by searching the boards, too.

I'm guessing you've had your initial appointment?

One thing to know- ALL of us have different docs ( well, you know what I mean), and nutritionists.

So that means you may ask a question and get many differing opinions. The KEY is to always consult with your team, follow their guidelines, and POST op, make adjustments that suit YOU, your weight loss, and contribute to your overall success.

Many a debate has occurred on these boards relative to caffeine, soda, Protein types, you name it. What works for some isn't always true for another.

Just spend time researching, learning and assessing who you are now and where you see yourself a year, two years, ten years from now.

That is what pre-op is for.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi everyone!!

I've made the decision to have WLS, and have already started the process. I was originally set on the sleeve but after talking to my surgeon, I've decided on the DS.

* What are some things that helped you prior to surgery in preparation for the lifestyle change?

* How was life after surgery?

* Does anyone have the issue of saggy skin, if so how do you deal with it?

-- I'd love any insight, suggestions, negative and positive things you've experienced so far and to learn about your success story behind DS.

Thanks in advance! I'm super excited for this lifestyle change but looking for all the information I can.

I sound like a broken record because I always suggest this but.....go to Youtube and search WLS. You can find lots of people who make videos and document their entire journeys. You can see what they eat in a day, what kind of exercise they do, before and after photos, and lots of people in underwear showing their excess skin. They call them "skin flicks".

One lady who has had the DS is "Experiencing Nirvana". I have found several that I subscribe to, you feel like you know them when you watch their channel. It's better than TV :)

Hello,

I'm 11+ years out from a DS.

Sagging skin is just a fact (unless you're 18 years old), I'm afraid. I lift weights to help strengthen bones & help w/the skin, but still have osteo. With the malabsorption from the DS, and as you age - some of us see this. It is treatable. I take a ton of Calcium & Vit. D3 and take osteo. treatment. I'd suggest a Dexa bone scan, preop, so you have a baseline.

Realize you'll be taking a lot ​of vitamins/minerals each day. Plus, blood tests every 6 or 12 mos. (after the first year) depending on your doctor. This isn't negotiable. It's for life.

My life after surgery is pretty good. I eat every couple of hours. Tons of Protein, constantly. I'll even go down to McDonald's for a triple w/catsup & cheese when hungry at work. I generally skip the bun: 1. It takes up too much room in my stomach & I want the protein; 2. I don't want the carbs, unless I'm trying to gain weight.

Who's your surgeon?

Edited by Postop

Hello,

I'm 11+ years out from a DS.

Sagging skin is just a fact (unless you're 18 years old), I'm afraid. I lift weights to help strengthen bones & help w/the skin, but still have osteo. With the malabsorption from the DS, and as you age - some of us see this. It is treatable. I take a ton of Calcium & Vit. D3 and take osteo. treatment. I'd suggest a Dexa bone scan, preop, so you have a baseline.

Realize you'll be taking a lot ​of vitamins/minerals each day. Plus, blood tests every 6 or 12 mos. (after the first year) depending on your doctor. This isn't negotiable. It's for life.

My life after surgery is pretty good. I eat every couple of hours. Tons of Protein, constantly. I'll even go down to McDonald's for a triple w/catsup & cheese when hungry at work. I generally skip the bun: 1. It takes up too much room in my stomach & I want the protein; 2. I don't want the carbs, unless I'm trying to gain weight.

Who's your surgeon?

Great information!! Thank you. I'm in NC so I'll be under Dr. Chan Park's care at Duke Metabolic Center.

Welcome!

You will find tons of info on pre op and post op just by searching the boards, too.

One thing to know- ALL of us have different docs ( well, you know what I mean), and nutritionists.

So that means you may ask a question and get many differing opinions. The KEY is to always consult with your team, follow their guidelines, and POST op, make adjustments that suit YOU, your weight loss, and contribute to your overall success.

Many a debate has occurred on these boards relative to caffeine, soda, Protein types, you name it. What works for some isn't always true for another.

Just spend time researching, learning and assessing who you are now and where you see yourself a year, two years, ten years from now.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Lisa!

Yes I've had my initial apt as well as everything else. Now just waiting for an upper endoscopy and pre-op apt.

I think caffeine is truly going to be my biggest hurdle. But thank goodness for Decaf coffee right?

Welcome!

Hope that helps!

Thanks Lisa!

Yes I've had my initial apt as well as everything else. Now just waiting for an upper endoscopy and pre-op apt.

I think caffeine is truly going to be my biggest hurdle. But thank goodness for Decaf coffee right?

I only didn't drink it the first 2 weeks post op lol

SweetMusik I am new to this as well. I am scheduled for surgery on Sept. 21st. Just wanted to say hi and good luck. I am in Burlington, but seeing Dr. Enochs in Cary.

SweetMusik I am new to this as well. I am scheduled for surgery on Sept. 21st. Just wanted to say hi and good luck. I am in Burlington, but seeing Dr. Enochs in Cary.

How's postop going nicewon?

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

post op has been a little bit of a struggle. He repaired a hiatal hernia which is causing more pain than anything else. The struggle I am having is trying to drink enough liquids and get enough Protein in. I am up, moving around really well and getting my strength back very quickly.

I agree that a hiatal hernia repair causes a lot more pain & difficulty getting fluids & Protein in. I had no problems after my initial gastric sleeve, but after the re-sleeve, single-anastomosis duodenal switch & hiatal hernia repair, I felt spasms run across my diaphragm with each swallow. At two & a half weeks post-op I had to have an endoscopy with dilation of a couple of strictures.