Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wow, I am so humbled

Well, I PM'ed Alex just two short days ago asking him to consider a regain forum, and well, here we are!

He asked me to start the first thread.

So here goes...

I am 27 months post op and have gained 20 lbs from my lowest. I have had a massive personal loss (stress eating) and took a night position that I LOVE (but snack all night) so 20 lbs and here I am.

Plan:

1. Came back to bariatric pal and owned my gain. admitted to it and moved forward.

2. Seeing a new doc and nut next week. Changed insurance due to job change and have an incredible new clinic/doc/nut and getting established with them wednesday.

3. Started 5 day Pouch Test and trying to re-learn restriction.

4. Found the coordinator of the support group associated with my new doc. called the coordinator. announced myself. now they are expecting me, so I have to go and face it.

5. ordered Slim in 6 program from Beachbody since i have not exercised like I should in a LONG time so that's a pretty mellow start.

6. bought all sorts of proteins-new flavor shakes, Soups, Quest Cookies and Cream bars etc because variety will keep me going.

So...there it is. My truth. I have gained. Yes, I have regained. But through the loss of my dad, my grief, a new career path I am in love with, and learning how to balance a night job with my eating I have also regained perspective.

I regained some weight. Now I regain control. Then I regain my life.

Sounds like you're pretty squared away and ready to be back on track! You got this!

You're the first person I've heard who has actually tried the "pouch reset". Please let us know how it works!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am so glad it's 20 pounds - and will be watching to see how you do with your progress. my dad died unexpectedly this summer too, and I know how it can throw you off balance.

@@mi75

Thanks so much for sharing your story. I'm sorry for your loss. A regain forum was a great suggestion. Thanks to you and @alexbreacher for making it happen!

Great idea...to have a regain forum. At my lowest, I was 113 lbs. I'm now at 133. I didn't ever expect to stay at 113 but I do want to be between 120-125. So I'm approximately 10 lbs. more than I'd like. My clothes still fit but some are tight. I don't want to wear tight clothes unless they are tight in the right areas. I REFUSE to buy larger sizes. I just won't go there again and have my closet look like a clothing store...with items in every size.

So, each and every day, I vow to eat clean. Some days I do...and some I don't. I don't consider myself a bad person if I gained...but I adjust if I have seen the scale go in the wrong direction.

Most important, is I remember that I'm mobile and normal sized and can do pretty much anything I want. That was not always the case. I remember that I can catch up to my toddler grandson as he runs around, and can also hang with my teenaged granddaughter while she plays softball and volleyball. Was a time I was unable to fly to see her because of the weight.

Point is...I live my life and it's not based on the number on the scale. If I can't get it to go down..I head back to the doctor for an additional fill. I also reign in what I know are bad choices and start anew.

Sorry for not focusing more on the specifics of weight gain....but I also wanted to note where the focus should be..or at least where I think the focus should be.

I'm 4 years post op. I had regained 35 lbs. Back in April I decided to get it off and I have. I'm at the lowest weight I've been at since my surgery. I'm going to try to lose about 10 more lbs. otherwise I'm happy where I am now.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am glad this topic is available. Regain has been my biggest fear since this whole process started.

In the last 8 weeks I have found myself hungrier than normal, not making the best decisions and I have gained 4lbs. I know that is not a lot and there is an expectation over time of some regain but it really is freaking me out some. Oh, and I really don't want to succumb to the regain. My clothes fit great, I look very healthy and have gotten used to my new weight and new look. I would like to keep it this way.

I do think my hungrier state is due to two things. 1.) I had plastics 8 weeks ago and after the first week suddenly I was hungry all the time. I do believe this is because my body is craving more Protein to heal.

2.) I have not been making all the best decisions adding to my diet. Given I have been at goal for 6 months, I have added some whole grains into my diet but occasionally I am slipping and adding what I consider to be crap as well and I think that is a vicious circle. Once you let that stuff in, you crave it.

So, now what to do about it so it doesn't keep going in the wrong direction....before I try the pouch test, I am going to remove the crap decisions and see if that works. It's back to a more stricter high Protein, low good carbs.

If that doesn't help with the hunger then, I will do the pouch test for a few days just to get back to a more restrictive feel. I do believe I won't need to get to this level if I just go back to basics but we will see.

[Though I'd like to take part in the forum regularly, it depends on whether it's ever added to my drop-down list options. I've clicked "Follow" and checked a little note about being instantly notified, but I have yet to discover where such notices appear. Under the little dialogue symbol at the upper right corner?]

Highest weight 311. At first meeting, surgeon said she didn't care whether I lost weight prior to banding. I foolishly thought "Good! Reprieve!" Then, three weeks before surgery, it occurred to me to get started because I was serious. Lost about 10 pounds in the three weeks.

198 about 15 months post surgery. Super motivated to continue. Almost immediately an "event" threw me into a headspin. I stopped losing and very soon began to regain. Over time (don't know what period), got up to approx 270. On two occasions after that, managed to lose approx 25, but regained both times.

In more recent months, began to think about it again. Actually went in to my NP in mid-July, weighing 263, and had my band tightened a tad. Weight now is about 250.

My goal is not a number. It is to lose weight -- that simple. I'm so far from weighing a number that sounds reasonable and appealing to me, so I see no point. The goal to lose weight makes great good sense to me.

To achieve this goal, I've resumed my old ways: Planning meals ahead, whether one day or more. All plans are subject to change, but it works for me to have a foundation as a daily starting place. I'm pleased at never having had trouble getting enough proteen from "real foood." Drinkks, shaakes, powdders and the rest make little sense to me and I'd feel not "normal" if I had to resort to them. This attitude applies only to me; no judgment of others

I don't have a scale at home. (Is that a mass "Eeek!" I hear?) If I'm eating well, I know I'm losing weight. Seeing the numbers diminish means more than knowing an exact number. That said, I consider my surgery practice's (inconvenient location) scale as the source of accuracy; other doctor's scales (more accessible) show me consistency which, for now, is more important. On another note, I don't care about the number to the right of the decimal point. I did early in my lapband career, but long ago it struck me as ludicrous to insist on counting fractions when so far from a healthy, reasonable weight. All doctors seem to subtract two lbs for clothing and shoes. I don't bother with that either for the same reason that I don't bother with fractions.

Exercise. Not much to say, much to my chagrin.

If you're still with me, Hello!

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

That's what I'm talking about! I love this post so much!

And why do I feel you're going to have no problem losing that regain??

What an inspiration you are!

A setback has nothing in common with defeat. I don't think I've ever read a more stirring testimonial than yours. You acknowledged the problem and are taking concrete steps to remedy the situation. Accountability, taking responsibility and a definitive plan to make it all happen are all the keys you need to succeed. Best of luck!

That's what I'm talking about! I love this post so much!

And why do I feel you're going to have no problem losing that regain??

What an inspiration you are!

Are you talkin' to me? You love the way I evaded the blue ink.

Seriously, if you do mean me, thanks, but I don't think I'll have no problem losing the regain and going beyond that. It takes diligence each day. Some days are easier than others and that's all determined by what I'm doing, scheduling, running around to take care of, etc. I also strive to avoid the word "only." Sure, I'd love a weekly drop of 5 lbs, but that's a lot for a lapband. If a drop is lower than would be reasonable to expect and I know I ate properly, I'll think no worse than "Next time may be better."

One of the strongest motivators is seeing steady results. Seeing the number on the scale go down gives me that delicious smug feeling and makes me look forward to feeling it again.

I stay mindful of what made me finally make an appt with the NP several weeks back. I wasn't feeling well physically and knew that my weight was a prime contributor. The way I look is also a major motivator. SEeing my reflection makes me feel lousy. I remember how I felt at 198 (and still intending to lose more) -- I was comfortable in front of a camera for the first time I could recall, maybe the first time ever. My most important friend took pictures of me from time to time as record of the changes. At 198, he got impatient because, instead of just standing and turning for shots from different angles, he complained that I was wasting time posing and flirting with the camera. How hot is that? He's also a motivator. He was supportive in a special, deep, quiet way and proud of me. He is again.

At 198 I held my head high all the time. There you have it.

@@The Candidate, dare I think that you're speaking to me, too? I'm asking you and asked @@Babbs because I don't even understand what you're responding to. Thank you, though. Another thing I work on is not looking a gift message in the mouth.

You can certainly dare, but alas you are mistaken. ???? I was speaking to the original poster.

@@The Candidate, oops, I stand corrected. :blush:

@@Babbs, never mind. :P

At least I had sense enough to be puzzled by both your comments. And this isn't the first time in my life that I've tasted my foot.

@@mi75, they are absolutely correct about your post.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch