Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I have bread and if not why?

I am two weeks post op. My dr/nut told me to add gradually. But also in moderation. Make healthy choices. Some will say no, some will say yes, ultimately it is the individuals toleration and dr/nut plan. I have heard some say that they experienced dumping after eating bread and some that took two thru three bites and had no problems afterwhich they became full and fulfilled the craving without relapsing. My dr/nut had me start on a stage that most people told me they hadn't started until six months out. Funny thing my nurse told me was don't listen to everyone you can use caution on what may trigger your sleeve and give you irritation but most importantly listen to your individual dr/nut and also pay close attention to you own individual body. I wouldn't go head crazy over bread but I would ask my dr/nut what they would prefer for you to have if you are having that craving. This is an old post but I decided to post anyway in case someone just as I, who was spending most of their time searching for every single piece of food that we place in our mouths after surgery trying to make sure that we weren't about to stretch our sleeve making sure that you ask your dr/nut and also look for those that have somewhat the same tolerants as you. Your body may or may not adjust well to bread. Take a bite of healthy whole grain or wheat bread and walk away. If you make it through that with no problems eat in serving portions and watch the calories and limit the rest of your calorie intake for the rest of the day.....Good luck to anyone who has had the sleeve, and congrats to those that have made it to their goal weight. God bless

Once I was cleared for bread (40 days post-op), I still didn't eat it much because it's just so filling. When you are trying to get in 100 grams of Protein a day and have a tiny pouch/sleeve, it's just not worth wasting space on bread. My NUT never gave me a limit on carbs, just told me to always prioritize Protein and make sure I got in my 100 grams. In doing so, I found I had to pretty much cut out bread completely.

Even now, 2 years out, I never eat bread with a "meal", because I just don't have room for my protein AND bread. I will occasionally have a piece of whole grain toast with Peanut Butter as a snack before a long run (I'm running a marathon on September 18) just to try to get some carbs in to help fuel my long run.

I was cleared (medically safe) for all foods at one month. and my program encourages a balanced approach to food. about 3 times a week I have half a piece of oat toast with my eggs at Breakfast with no problems. it is filling, but it really does help me to avoid Constipation.

before surgery I could eat a whole lot of good bread............. not any more. sometimes I can't finish my half a slice. but I do enjoy it still! I just somehow feel "done" or like I've had enough.

I usually do egg with toast - and it goes down Ok. Wraps are also fine for me! I was never told to keep away from bread....and I eat grainy or wholemeal pieces, not white.

I don't know if this applies to the sleeve as I had RNY....but I was told early on to toast my bread so that it doesn't expand as much ....and to stay away from the really soft "fresh" bread

@@Thecloude1 has a good point. When I do eat bread, I always eat it toasted. It doesn't expand in the stomach as much that way.

I was always the kind of person who never could imagine a life without bread. at 10 weeks post op today-- I have still not had bread. I don't even want it. It's just too much. Most of the stuff I have to put in my mouth involve Protein if not then its a fruit or veggie. I can't waste any space on bread. Therefore I don't desire it. Not even a tiny bit. I struggled with whether to eat crackers like wheat thins or triscuits and then I just didn't. why do I need the cracker? I can eat the tuna with a piece of cheese or the hummus with a Tomato. Empty calories-- not enough nutrients.

I won't touch bread/pasta/rice/crackers/potatoes/carrots/corn/popcorn/chips/cereal until I'm WELL into maintenance, because I know that, for me and - dare I say - many others on this site, these carby foods slow down losing progress and are major trigger foods.

That being said, when I do reach maintenance, I will opt for Ezekiel bread, and will toast the crap out of it (bc it's texture is wet and kind of mushy without being toasted). It has about 4g of Protein & 3g of Fiber in an 80 calorie slice. In terms of good carbs, oatmeal is a good higher Protein option too with 6g of protein, 4g of Fiber & 166 calories per cup - if you put some Protein powder in there, then you've really got a super breakfast!

Be so careful introducing the very foods that got you to the point of needing bariatric surgery into your diet so early on. I can tell you from personal experience that eating the high protein extremely low carb diet most of us are on post op is not what got me into trouble - it was carbs (mostly via delicious Italian dishes!).

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

With so little room in the tummy, I look at the space as valuable real estate. Why fill it with bread?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I just came from an appt and was told any form of bread, grains, pasra, rice....will slow down far burning.

Sent from my VS986 using the BariatricPal App

All carbohydrates are NOT created equal. This is an amazing video explaining the difference and how certain ones cause metabolic syndrome (which all of us had because we were obese). Personally I rarely did them in my losing phase and only in moderation in my maintenance phase and only in the form of whole grains. Nothing "white".

While in your loosing period bread is mostly extra calories and it reallllllllllly fills you up so interferes with getting Protein in. I try to limit it to just bread crumbs when I make pan fried chicken/fish filets. Once you've hit your goal and are maintaining I think it's probably correct to work in small amounts of bread other starches to keep things balanced. That will depend also on if you can tolerate it. I've tried some since surgery and find I can't finish a slice of bread before becoming very full.

Am I the only person who doesn't understand the purpose of this post?? It's a response to an old thread with somebody asking this question?? I guess I don't get why a new post was created by the OP and unclear of the message.

Oh well - I'll move on...

@@KristenLe

It almost seemed like a "My NUT and surgeon said I could eat bread, so I'm gonna eat bread" post.

But what do I know? I just post here.

;)

You can. you can have M&Ms or marshmallow fluff --- but do you want to/should you? does it work for your weight loss and is the best nutritional choice?

Answer is yes.

But no if choosing between better options and trying to change.

But yes if you want.

For me, limited real estate parking Mercedes in there not Hyundai