Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Concerned friends ... Do you really want to do this?

After six months of preparation, my surgery is Oct. 3rd. I am so excited and feel like it a new start. Of course, I am scared. Scared about surgery ...Am I going to succeed? BUT, I just keeping telling myself that I am going to do amazing. I have no choice!! I want to have energy again. I feel like I in the right mind set.

Anyone experience the same situation before surgery ??

Everyone has those fears. I was still nervous as I was being wheeled into the operating room. I feared that I was going to be the one it didn't work for. However here I am almost a year out from surgery and 155 pounds lighter and only 25 from goal. It was the best thing I have ever done for myself in my life.

If your friends are trying to rattle your confidence, tell them to shaake their rattler tails in another direction. You expect them to be encouraging and happy for you.

"I just keeping telling myself that I am going to do amazing. I have no choice!!..."

Why stomp on your own power? You most certainly do have a choice, which is what power rests on. In this instance you're choosing to do and be amazing. Get it? Surgery and losing weight are what you'll be doing; they aren't things that will be happening to you. No time for passivity.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

Oh wow we have the same surgery date!!!! You are doing what's best for you! It will be an emotional Rollercoaster, but in the end it will be all worth it. Our health is more important than any fear we will ever have! Good luck to you!

Edited by cuteNATL

I have lost a lot of weight during my six-month required pre-op diet program, so my friends are all saying the same thing. When I explain to them that I still have another 100+ pounds to lose, and that the surgery is going to be a tool to anchor the second half of the weight loss AND (more importantly) the lifelong maintenance, they usually see the point, and become very encouraging.

I think everyone has those "am I doing the right thing" feelings before surgery, but if you sit and listen to yourself you will know the answer. I was nervous before surgery and most people are. I remember sitting in the pre-op area and it was about 90 minutes before my scheduled surgery time. My surgeon came in to see me and he said "we are ahead of schedule this morning and we should be going in about 20 minutes." THAT was when I got really nervous. I just had to take some deep breaths and relax. Everything went great.

My surgery is September 26

I'm nervous but I know I need this tool to help me regain control of my health. I freaking scared it won't work for me and that I'll fail. There are MANY people watching me and waiting to see my process.... I'm not sure if it is to see me be successful or a massive failure. I do feel more support than negative. But there are some of these people who look at me with doubt and at the same time smile a fake smile and wish me luck.

I feel the doubt in them ... But I'm going to be successful so screw them ... I'm still scared. I'm nervous as hell. I will just breathe deeply and remember this will be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The science says that long-term weight loss success is about 5%. Most of us are experts at getting weight off, we've been professionally dieting for decades. But it always comes back on, which is why we're here. And the weight yo-yo-ing on and off has been proven to be as detrimental if not more than being heavy by itself.

While I hope that research continues and they find non-surgical ways to help weight loss succeed for my daughter's generation and future grandkids' generations, right now the best success rates are with surgery. That doesn't mean it's right for everyone, but it needs to be viewed as one of the best options medicine can give us at this point.

My friends all expressed that they were concerned (based on people they knew with serious complications) but are supportive of my decision. They've all watched my health deteriorate over the years, and know what it's cost me to have to quit some of my favorite activities because I physically can't anymore.

Some friends will be supportive, and others won't. If you've done your research and are steadfast in your decision, ignore the nay sayers. It's normal to have 2nd thoughts and cold feet, because it's a big life-changing decision. Bet if you're married, you had 2nd thoughts and cold feet before the big day. That's normal. Hang in there!!

My gastric sleeve surgery is scheduled for 21st October 2016. I am very excited and feel really prepared after lots of reading over the last 18 months. My Endocrinologist recommended it last year but I wasn't ready to take the step and at that stage I wasn't accepting the need for this surgery.

I am 2 plus weeks since my surgery. Some friends and family (not immediate) tried to talk me out of surgery. I lost my brother to a heart attack this February and I didn't want to die too. I have struggled with my weight for at least 20 years. I know I was doing the right thing. It will be life saving. I will say at first I regretted my choice until I went back on my pain meds for about 10 days. I was able to manage the pain. Took the Miralax to stay regular. I messed a couple of times eating things I wasn't ready for that got me sick. If I follow the advise my nutritionist gives me, I am doing great! I am down 21 lbs. since surgery; 32 lbs total since the pre-op prep. I'm feeling very confident that I made the best decision of my life.

I was about a week out and almost cancelled my surgery. I didn't have the greatest support system and everyone kept telling me "ways" I could lose weight other than surgery. Being 130lbs overweight I knew there was no way I could lose it all without the surgery! But the constant negativity from everyone kept making me feel as if I'd been doing something wrong for 6 years. Well I went to bed the night before and said I was doing this for me n no one else. I know that I have been unsuccessful for 6 years and I wanted more energy and more health to be able to do things with my kids went to bed woke up and felt great! Went in for surgery and I'm now 3 weeks out and I know I made the right decision! It's for u no one else! Best of luck to you!

My dad was freaked out. He wanted to go to my first surgeon consultation and I had to pull the car over on the highway because he got sick to his stomach! He was just nervous and worried. Plus, my 9 year old son is my parents' only grandchildren and my dad kept saying, "Thr kid isn't the kid without you." I have a husband who is a good dad to our son, but I know what he means.

I had my surgery 8/29/16. You do go through an emotional rollicoaster. Even now with learning my new stomach sometimes it gets emotional. I was blessed. My boss and all my Co workers are behind me. I told them because I stayed out a few weeks so they would have wondered where I was. But the reaction people gave me when I was returned was priceless. Still figuring out that I can't eat that one last bite sometimes. But overall I am down 34 pounds and feel great. Have about another 70 to go.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using the BariatricPal App

My surgery is 9/27. This Tuesday. I have had a couple of people ask if there isn't some other way to do this. But a couple of key people have been super supportive. My mother is 80 and has struggled her whole life with her weight. She knows I need to do this NOW. I was so touched tonight by a text from my future daughter in law saying that she is excited for me and the new life I'm about to begin. Hold on to the support and brush the rest off.

Edited by Ragdollorchid