Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnancy after VSG?

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are seriously thinking about trying for our first baby in Spring 2017.

Just curious about a few things:

1. Were any of you considered high risk pregnancy because of the VSG? I will be 39 next February so I know that will make me high risk regardless.

2. Did anyone have to go on disability due to complications, prior to delivery? I've read where some women have terrible morning sickness and can't keep anything down.

3. Just curious how any of you have been able to balance nutrition and getting fluids in?

And lastly.....

4. Did anyone have a micro preemie? I heard via a FB group that VSG moms usually have micro preemie babies? Did any of you have a similar situation?

We plan on seeing my surgeon/nutritionist next January (my surgiversary will be this November--I have 30 more lbs to go to reach my goal).

Any information would be awesome! Thanks in advance ❤️

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I can't answer all your questions, but can offer just some info my doctor shared with me and my personal experience so far.

I'm 36, 10 weeks pregnant, first pregnancy.

I was not considered high-risk due to having VSG. Doctor said the opposite actually, that VSG/weight loss contributes to a healthier pregnancy. (I am now considered high risk because I'm having twins, nothing to do with VSG). Women over 35 are at a higher risk of having twins even if you have no history of twins in your family! I'm still in shock from the news!

Have not heard anything from doctor indicating that VSG patients are at higher risk for premature babies. She said nothing to do with bariatric surgery impedes a healthy pregnancy.

I didn't have much morning sickness. Just feel a little queasy when my stomach is empty (so usually in the morning) but also throughout the day, so i have to keep Snacks on hand.

One thing that I think did happen due to VSG, is that I threw up if I overate. That hadn't happened to me since the early days after the surgery. But OB/Gyn said that was to be expected due to less space in stomach (I can't quite remember her exact explanation).

Anyways congrats on your decision and good luck!