Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do You Consider Children (Or Future Children) When Considering Weight Loss Surgery?

There are a ton of reasons for getting weight loss surgery. Dropping the weight can help you build confidence, feel more energetic, get off your medications, sleep better, get rid of pain, and enjoy feeling “normal” by fitting into restaurant booths, airplane seats, and amusement park rides.

But one more reason for many weight loss surgery patients is family, including your children or future children. Being around for your children to watch them grow up and to be able to take care of them rather than have them take care of you is a common reason for wanting to get WLS and get healthy. You might also want to set a healthy example for your children and believe that WLS can help you get on the right path.

If you are trying to start or grow your family, being overweight can reduce fertility, making it harder to conceive and putting you at higher risk for miscarriage and complicated pregnancies. Losing significant weight can make it all easier.

So, if you are thinking about WLS, or you have WLS scheduled already, or you got WLS…did you consider your children a lot? Were they a major reason, or just a minor reason for WLS?

My 27 yr old son was a big part of my decision....He lives close to the Colorado Rockies and he really wants to hike with his Mom! I will be attempting this with him in a couple weeks [emoji3][emoji106]

my kids are all grown but one, however it was important to me to be an active grandmother. One of my grandfather's died of a heart attack when I was 5 and it changed my life completely. I'd like to be around long enough that they all get born and old enough to remember me.

When I started the process to get approval for my lapband surgery in 2010, I had three children aged 19, 15 and 9. I told them in my pre-op that I wanted to be able to keep up with my youngest child-a very high energy young man.

I'm in the process of revising to sleeve and yes, I'm doing this keeping my kids in mind. I want to be around long enough to see my children grow up (now 25, 21 and 15), finish schooling, get married, have kids, etc.

I don't want my weight issues to burden them in the long haul.

I'm 24, and it's only in the last year or so that I have really begun to realize just how much I want kids. It's totally the worst time... I'm still in school, we're not financially stable, I'm only a year out from surgery, etc. Still, losing a ton of weight and having a somewhat normal cycle for the first time in, well, ever, brings babies to mind and I suddenly look at babies and actually want one. It's an odd feeling because during all my teenage years and early 20s I was pretty positive I would never be able to have kids anyway so I didn't even consider it. Now I can say I'm actually a little baby crazy. Gotta be careful to continue my birth control perfectly. :P

Someday!

Absolutely! I am 41 and have two young sons, ages 8 and 5. My realization that I might not be around to see them grow up because of weight-related health risks was a primary catalyst in making the decision to have WLS. I also want to be able to actively play with them--and I want them to see me take on something that has challenged me my whole life and be successful.

I am only 3 weeks post-op, but I already know how life-changing this will be for all of us.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Absolutely! We have two children, and as they have gotten older (they're 7 and 8), I began to realize I just couldn't keep up. I had no energy and didn't want to do anything active with them because I was just too big. I left the active activities for my husband to do with them. And I was missing out! So for me, I had it done as much for them as I did for myself. I am 3 weeks post op (tomorrow), and we are taking nightly family walks together in the evening. I want to set good examples of health and wellness for them to carry with them throughout their lifetime.

Edited by jkhaik_42

My family children/husband were a very central part of my decision making process - my daughter who is 19 has watched me struggle with my weight her entire life. She is now struggling with her weight and I have been taking her to all my appointments with me so that she can learn from my experiences first hand and have more motivation to find her own road and hopefully find solutions for herself that don't lead to surgery

My 2year old daughter is one of the main reasons I am getting WLS done. I want to be able to run around with her and be more energetic than laying in bed all day sleeping and eating!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

I have an 8 year old and a 4 year old and they are the driving motivation in having surgery. They simple fact is that they deserve a better mother, a mother who doesn't have to put her size ahead of their childhoods. It breaks my heart everytime they want to do something and my weight prevents it. I won't do that to them any more. They deserve the best of me.

My children were a big factor. I couldn't be the mom I wanted to be for them and I felt like I was really just ruining their childhood because they were having to help take care of me and take on jobs I couldn't do anymore because of my weight. I also nearly lost the last 2 and myself in childbirth because of my weight and the strain the weight and pregnancy put on my heart. I wanted better for them. I wanted them to have a full time mom and one that could play with them and inspire them so that they didn't end up on the same path I had been on. Almost 10 months later, my kids are definitely reaping the benefits of better health and a mom who is more involved in their lives.

Thanks for your answers! Children are such a motivating factor for us to improve ourselves, from the time we first start thinking about wanting them, like @@Cervidae has mentioned. Then so many women and their partners, when they become pregnant, suddenly find themselves able to take on healthy behaviors to benefit the fetus even though they had a hard time adapting a healthier lifestyle before pregnancy.

I am in the stage where my children are school-aged, and I cannot and do not want to imagine life without having the energy to be able to keep up with them. I also would not want to be worried about obesity-related health problems interfering with my time with them, or threatening to kill me before I get to see them grow up, as @kharanhee mentioned.

My kids were the reason I finally chose surgery. I have a special needs kindergartner, and a toddler. My mom died 11 years ago due to complications of obesity, and never got to see her grandbabies. I want to make sure I am around to spoil my grandkids.