Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having a sleeve vs. old school dieting?

I'm new here, looking to get sleeved. From what I'm reading, Sleevers still need to have strong will power to eat the right things. How has having the sleeve made a difference compared to regular dieting and choosing the right foods?

I fear i might not have the will power, and i will fail at this too!

I am just over 2 months out and I dont see willpower being a factor, at least so far. Having a good goal, belief in your surgeon and a huge desire to lose aND keep the weight off makes it different from using willpower for me. A sleeve only allows so much food so it is a great tool not only for portion size, but for eating healthier. There isnt room for much beyond Protein requirements. I feel satisfied after eating and don't feel deprived in this weight loss phase. Maintenance will probably come with some more mental adjustments, but I want a good quality of life for the rest of my life.

I'm only 2 weeks out, so FWIW... the part of the stomach that is lost is responsible for a lot of the hormones that drive our cravings. I have zero appetite. I have to remind myself to eat and drink. It's a whole different world from what I had pre-surgery.

I am just over 2 months out and I dont see willpower being a factor, at least so far. Having a good goal, belief in your surgeon and a huge desire to lose aND keep the weight off makes it different from using willpower for me. A sleeve only allows so much food so it is a great tool not only for portion size, but for eating healthier. There isnt room for much beyond Protein requirements. I feel satisfied after eating and don't feel deprived in this weight loss phase. Maintenance will probably come with some more mental adjustments, but I want a good quality of life for the rest of my life.

So you're feeling good that this tool is actually helpful? how did you break away from your old habits? I'm fearful I'll give up and eat the piece of bread instead of the protein first, which is my concern for the willpower part

I'm only 2 weeks out, so FWIW... the part of the stomach that is lost is responsible for a lot of the hormones that drive our cravings. I have zero appetite. I have to remind myself to eat and drink. It's a whole different world from what I had pre-surgery.

Just reading your story. How was your eating before hand? I tend to snack and binge sometimes out of being board i think. I wonder if this would really help those cravings. Its so hard to tell as everyone has a diffrent story.

Do you feel you can stick to the diet once you get back on to solids?

So you're feeling good that this tool is actually helpful? how did you break away from your old habits? I'm fearful I'll give up and eat the piece of bread instead of the Protein first, which is my concern for the willpower part

Well, you may end up eating that piece of bread instead of your protein and many post here how they don't follow their doctors plan. It is a choice. For me, I am fully aware that the sleeve is a tool and I have to do my part by eating right to be healthy. The sleeve does help me with no cravings and little hunger. This is what can help make better choices. When I would use willpower, I was fighting a strong urge and I just don't have those urges so willpower hasn't come into play.

Sometimes I think about a greasy double cheeseburger or chips and queso, but I don't really desire them anymore. So, I make a healthier choice. Having the slevee does require some mental changes, but it has helped me make those changes. It isn't magic and it is a bit of work to get in all the protein and liquids, but worth it.

To me, willpower is a load of crap.

Before the sleeve: 1) conventional dieting meant I was at constant war with my body, 2) conventional dieting wasn't making me healthier but was creating my obesity, 3) willpower only meant I was an adversary to myself, and 4) no matter how hard I worked, every diet eventually led to even more weight gain.

Post-op, I am learning 1) how to work with my body and not against it; 2) how to satisfy my needs with small amounts of delicious, nutritious, food; and 3) my efforts and hard work reaps positive results.

Unfortunately, it is hard to describe the difference to someone who hasn't been sleeved. Because of that, it is one of the biggest fears and concerns that people have pre-op.

To me, willpower is a load of crap.

Before the sleeve: 1) conventional dieting meant I was at constant war with my body, 2) conventional dieting wasn't making me healthier but was creating my obesity, 3) willpower only meant I was an adversary to myself, and 4) no matter how hard I worked, every diet eventually led to even more weight gain.

Post-op, I am learning 1) how to work with my body and not against it; 2) how to satisfy my needs with small amounts of delicious, nutritious, food; and 3) my efforts and hard work reaps positive results.

Unfortunately, it is hard to describe the difference to someone who hasn't been sleeved. Because of that, it is one of the biggest fears and concerns that people have pre-op.

I can see that, and this is whats making my decision soo difficult. I currently eat fairly well during the week, with a little binge on the weekends. Today I had subway for dinner (we went out with friends and got home late) Trying to make better choices and all ive done for the last 2 years is maintained or lost maybe 5lbs. (i wont lie, after eatting the sandwich i was still hungry and had 2 cookies)

Im trying to record my eatting habits so that i can show this to the group and see if this really is the right choice for me. the internet is a great place but i might be getting too much information. I feel like I can make an informed decsion but the out come (based on everyone experience good and bad) could be anyone guess.

the only good thing im seeing is that, most people even those making "bad" choices still, have still lost weight.

This surgery (I'm only 9 weeks post-op) has taken away my cravings and hunger, so I'm establishing new eating habits right now. I had the surgery because I care about my health, and when I can only eat a few tablespoons of food, no way am I going to have that few tablespoons be carb-y garbage like bread, rice, baked goods, ice cream, etc. That mindset keeps me from eating dumb, useless foods. Instead, I now know that I need Protein to feel good. Before my sleeve, I could eat a bunch of crappy food AND the Protein I needed for survival. Now, I have to choose and for me, it's been easy. The restriction helps to keep my portions where they need to be as I train my body to be satisfied with small portions, and the lack of hunger allows me to portion appropriately and avoid mindless eating.

It IS hard to explain and even harder to understand until you're in the midst of it, but this is the most effective tool I've ever had access to and I'm loving it.

This surgery (I'm only 9 weeks post-op) has taken away my cravings and hunger, so I'm establishing new eating habits right now. I had the surgery because I care about my health, and when I can only eat a few tablespoons of food, no way am I going to have that few tablespoons be carb-y garbage like bread, rice, baked goods, ice cream, etc. That mindset keeps me from eating dumb, useless foods. Instead, I now know that I need Protein to feel good. Before my sleeve, I could eat a bunch of crappy food AND the Protein I needed for survival. Now, I have to choose and for me, it's been easy. The restriction helps to keep my portions where they need to be as I train my body to be satisfied with small portions, and the lack of hunger allows me to portion appropriately and avoid mindless eating.

It IS hard to explain and even harder to understand until you're in the midst of it, but this is the most effective tool I've ever had access to and I'm loving it.

Very well put! I tend to eat my "good dinner" first then snack later as a reward, or if im still hungry (like dinner tonight was a sandwich followed by a cookie x3) so this may be a good tool for me after all... i'm just so over whelmed with everything im reading. I'm not sure i could live with myself if i had this and still failed

At least initially after surgery, instead of trying to fill a bottomless hole, the struggle is trying to stay on top of the fluids and Protein that we need while not being hungry. It really is a different world.

Instead of the pre-op goal of minimizing calories, while maximizing volume, we have to focus on maximizing nutrition and minimizing volume.

Next time, instead of the Cookies, try some Protein (turkey, cheese, or even some Greek yogurt if you want something sweet) and see how that goes. Since you are pre-op, you could even have something filling like Peanut Butter on celery.

I'm am big because I loved to eat in volume. Small amounts left me hungry. Real hungry - not head hungry. Even healthy food like salad and veg, I wanted huge amounts of to make the grumble go away. Even worse if fast food was involved. Now I'm satisfied by a small portion be it healthy or a treat. I still feel real hunger but it is satisfied easily and goes away long enough that I'm not always thinking of food. I also catch head hunger so much easier now and rarely get that craving type hunger for really unhealthy food. This has made all the good things I was capable of, so much easier. Also after surgery nothing seems scary. Like joining a gym which I had always been too scared to do. As soon as I was cleared I went and joined. After being seen in a hospital gown, my tights and long top seemed just fine. Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Although I haven't been sleeved yet (I'm in the process) I think it comes down to life choices. For me I am ready for this life changing tool to regain control over the rest of my life. You have to be ready for it and go into it with that mindset. I think it goes beyond the "Okay I'm ready for this" idea that we all have before we've started every other diet in the past that has failed. This is major..this is surgery...this is the rest of your life...failure is not an option.

Sorry if I rambled, but you have to be 100% ready. There is no halfway. Do your research (I've researched this for 2 years), take a hard look at your life and how this could help/hurt your relationship with your family and food.

God bless

I'm new here, looking to get sleeved. From what I'm reading, Sleevers still need to have strong will power to eat the right things. How has having the sleeve made a difference compared to regular dieting and choosing the right foods?

I fear i might not have the will power, and i will fail at this too!

I think I've had it really easy....certainly easier than some members here.

The easy part is that I was brought to a point where life had humbled me in ways that I'd not seen coming in my 40's. A circulatory problem, a back injury and high blood pressure had each converged on my arse at the same time. I felt beat down and truly questioned my ability to ever see 50.

Pain and fear are powerful motivators.

It made it easy for me to opt for weight loss surgery in hopes of getting a large amount of fat burned off.

It makes is easy to adhere to the the low-carb, low calorie diet that I'm following while in this this weight loss time period.

I'm hoping that it'll make it easy to live and eat normally, but with frequent scale readings to monitor my weight, once I reach the maintenance mode.

The smaller stomach and lack of hunger are very helpful in daily living while losing weight.