Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone start over 400+ lbs and had awesome success?

I'm getting sleeved in about 3 weeks and right now I'm at 403 lbs. I'm extremely nervous I'm not going to lose any weight from this surgery because I've never been able to my entire life. I have 250 lbs to lose before I reach my goal weight and that seems beyond impossible. Anyone lose any amount close to what I need to lose? How long did it take? Any tips?

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I started at a much higher weight than you and I am over half way to goal.

It is possible to be successful. Just don't calibrate your expectations based on what other people experience.

You will probably experience rapid weight loss initially. You will probably experience slow downs and weight fluctuations. You will definitely experience periodic stalls, starting with a pretty common one about three weeks post op.

Based on my experience so far, the best thing to do is:

Follow your program.

Track your food.

Make sure you get at least 64 oz of Fluid a day.

Make sure you reach your Protein target every day.

Avoid starches, added sugars (especially high fructose corn syrup), and fried foods.

Take your Vitamins and supplements as directed.

Practice mindful eating: eat slowly, take small bites, and chew thoroughly.

Exercise when cleared.

Stay off the scale.

And, learn to Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

I started my bariatric program at 478 lbs.

I'm down ~185 or so now at 10 months post-op.

I've clearly got another 50+ pounds to lose. Doubtful I'll make by the 12 month point......but I WILL get there by the end of 2016.

I don't consider this awesome success because I know I could have lost more. There were times when I strayed off course and learned to find my way back. Had I stayed true and on plan.....I would have made the goal by 12 months....easily.

My tips are to weigh often......know where you stand.......know what corrective actions that you can take to get to where you want to be.

Measure your food & drink caloric intake on myfitnesspal or similar. You have to have accurate ideas of what you are consuming.

Exercise as frequently as you can. On occasion, make that exercise on either a treadmill or elliptical machine where you can input your weight and it'll calculate your calories burned during that session. There are some powerful thoughts generated when you see and feel how hard it is to burn 750 calories......how much you had to sweat to do it. This knowledge will come to the forefront of your consciousness when you are faced with snack food and garbage calories.......you'll be more likely to kick that crap aside.

Keep in mind your ultimate goals and let your daily behaviors be driven by these.

Learn to have fun along the way and find comfort in your progress and new abilities......not find comfort from food.

I started out at 463 and at 19 months out I’m currently at 232. I lost exactly 200 pounds at my one year anniversary and then hit a major, months-long stall. Which completely sucked, as you can imagine. Doing everything right and not losing weight or inches was so frustrating, but a part of it unfortunately. It finally broke and I went back to steadily losing again, although much slower. I’d like to lose another 30-40 pounds (and then start in on plastic surgery), but honestly, if I didn’t lose another pound I would consider myself content.

There really is no way to describe how different my life is. Every aspect has improved – personal relationships, work, putting on shoes, driving my car… I wanted to dance with glee the first time I slid into a booth seat at a restaurant and fit properly (because in the past I didn’t fit and my stomach would bulge over the table top). In the past I’ve suffered with mild depression and anxiety. Even though they’re still there, I now feel such a sense of hope that things can actually change and this is a way of life I can maintain.

I was very nervous about having the surgery as well. Not only had nothing ever worked for me in the past but I have a cousin who had the band, then the sleeve, and then after a few years regained half of the weight that she’d lost and was very discouraged and really struggling to take it off again. This showed me, more than anything, that this isn’t an easy fix-all. It really takes work. I’ve had to relearn an entirely new way of eating and now have a much better relationship with food.

Everyone above has already posted some amazing tips for you; I won’t repeat what they’ve already said. Just know that, yes – it can work for you, but you have to be willing to put in the effort and make some changes. :)

Good luck!

Everyone here has nailed it. I started at 305 day of surgery, and lost about 150 in a year. But while everyone shares their own story the important thing is to not compare your success to anyone else.

Do what the doctor tells you, Celebrate little goals, and don't beat yourself up when you make mistakes.

Hang in there!! Stick with it and you'll do great!

I started out over 400 and I am currently at 207 lbs. My sleeeve was last september

Wow guys. You really are inspiring me. I woke up to all these amazing stories and suddenly I think maybe, just maybe, that'll be me next year!!! Thanks so much for all your tips. Did you all exercise? If so how many times a week? I know everyone's experience is different. Just wanting to do the most I can to lose it the quickest!! :)

I've clearly got another 50+ pounds to lose. Doubtful I'll make by the 12 month point......but I WILL get there by the end of 2016.

I don't consider this awesome success because I know I could have lost more. There were times when I strayed off course and learned to find my way back. Had I stayed true and on plan.....I would have made the goal by 12 months....easily.

well. I consider you an awesome success because you probably learned a lot about yourself and your triggers during those little side trips. and for long term success? that is a key component. 5 years from now I doubt it will matter to you if it took 12 months or 18 months, because I would hope and expect that your new normal will be a normal healthy weight. every day.

I had the exact same thoughts as you before my surgery (November 2015). I could not fathom the possibility of losing such a large amount of weight. Now, almost 10 months later, I could not be happier that I did it. There were two things that I did not realize at first before the surgery.

First, I kept thinking about the total lbs that I had to lose, which seemed impossible. I only realized after the surgery how much better I felt every week as I lost weight. I haven't reached my goal yet, but have felt better and been able to do more things with each 25 lbs that I lost. Second, I didn't realize how much more planning I had to do when I was heavier. I couldn't walk far, so I had to wonder if I could park close enough to where I needed to be. I couldn't fit in many chairs, so I had to wonder if there would be someplace suitable to sit when I went somewhere. I couldn't stand for more than 10 minutes without back pain and breaking out into a sweat. Flying was a nightmare. All of those worries are gone now, even before I have hit my goal. I don't really think about success or failure or even a number on a scale. I just judge things based on whether I can do the things that I want or not: travel, buy clothes off of the rack, go hiking, etc.

If you take it day by day, follow the program, and keep with the exercise, it is completely worth it. It has changed my life. Best of luck to you.

Edited by Thucydides

well. I consider you an awesome success because you probably learned a lot about yourself and your triggers during those little side trips. and for long term success? that is a key component. 5 years from now I doubt it will matter to you if it took 12 months or 18 months, because I would hope and expect that your new normal will be a normal healthy weight. every day.

I have learned a lot. Not all of it good.......but I've learned.

Side trips were necessary to get me back on track.

Thank you for your vote of confidence.......the new normal is what I'm looking forward to.

I started out at 463 and at 19 months out I’m currently at 232. I lost exactly 200 pounds at my one year anniversary and then hit a major, months-long stall. Which completely sucked, as you can imagine. Doing everything right and not losing weight or inches was so frustrating, but a part of it unfortunately. It finally broke and I went back to steadily losing again, although much slower. I’d like to lose another 30-40 pounds (and then start in on plastic surgery), but honestly, if I didn’t lose another pound I would consider myself content.

There really is no way to describe how different my life is. Every aspect has improved – personal relationships, work, putting on shoes, driving my car… I wanted to dance with glee the first time I slid into a booth seat at a restaurant and fit properly (because in the past I didn’t fit and my stomach would bulge over the table top). In the past I’ve suffered with mild depression and anxiety. Even though they’re still there, I now feel such a sense of hope that things can actually change and this is a way of life I can maintain.

I was very nervous about having the surgery as well. Not only had nothing ever worked for me in the past but I have a cousin who had the band, then the sleeve, and then after a few years regained half of the weight that she’d lost and was very discouraged and really struggling to take it off again. This showed me, more than anything, that this isn’t an easy fix-all. It really takes work. I’ve had to relearn an entirely new way of eating and now have a much better relationship with food.

Everyone above has already posted some amazing tips for you; I won’t repeat what they’ve already said. Just know that, yes – it can work for you, but you have to be willing to put in the effort and make some changes. :)

Good luck!

This is encouraging to hear. I am on my longest stall now, too. I know my body is doing important work to shift things around.

I've loved reading all these posts!

Thanks guys and seriously well done to all weight lost.

Good luck Jodi2727 - how are you feeling now?

Sent from my SM-G925I using the BariatricPal App

I actually haven't gotten sleeved yet. My surgery is 9/24!!! So it's coming up!!! I'll let you know after its done. Thanks for asking about me! :)

I'm the 8th of Oct, so not far behind you.