Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been participating in a bariatric surgery program for four months, and before that, an Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) for eating disorders for eight months. The IOP required twelve hours per week of nutrition, supported eating groups, individual and group therapy, movement therapy and dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT).

I have completed my two sleep studies, my psych eval and my endoscopy. I learned from the endoscopy that I had an ulcer, so I completed two weeks of an intensive regimen of antibiotics (blech!). I start my CPAP tomorrow. I have also completed six weeks of Physical Therapy for a torn meniscus and learned all kinds of fun things I can do in the pool while the knee heals (or not). I decided that rather than pursue knee surgery, it made more sense to keep working towards weight loss because it is probably the weight, combined with running and jazzercise, yoga and a feeble attempt at tennis that injured the knee. (I weighed 250 lbs. and am still up there at 243.)

So I went in to my appointment today hoping that maybe they could finally schedule me for surgery. I was delighted to find I'd lost five lbs this month ( a total of 8 in the last three months). It's not a huge number but is extraordinary for me to have lost three months in a row! But then when I met with my team they told me the surgeon had had a falling out with the hospital administration and left. They had just begun searching for a replacement. They are referring everyone who is close to surgery out as the delay will probably mean a minimum of six months.

I don't like the hospital I was at at all and only went because the surgeon there has such a phenomenal reputation. I plan to go back to the first hospital I'd approached even though it is in another town a few hours away. They also have a good reputation but it is hard to travel so much when I work full time. More than that, I am frustrated as I was told that while all my diagnostics will be accepted, I will probably have to start all over as their dietary recommendations and processes will be different. I will have to redo the seminar and orientation and who knows what else.

This is frustrating. And while I'm waiting, I have no support from a nutritional team. I guess I'll go back to the IOP, at least for the interim. And pay down the costs of the sleep studies which wer only partially covered by my insurance.

Aaarrrgh!

So sorry to hear of your complications! I hope it all works out for you!

make it a great day

Oh, man, that is annoying . . . I can relate. I made it all the way through one hospital's program, with all classes, approvals, etc., only to be told on the day of surgery that the doctor was worried about complications and wouldn't do the surgery on me. I had to go to a second hospital and jump through all the hoops again. Then they denied me too.

This is my third try . . . hopefully this time it will actually happen!

@G33kg1rl

Oh, man, that is annoying . . . I can relate. I made it all the way through one hospital's program, with all classes, approvals, etc., only to be told on the day of surgery that the doctor was worried about complications and wouldn't do the surgery on me. I had to go to a second hospital and jump through all the hoops again. Then they denied me too.

This is my third try . . . hopefully this time it will actually happen!

Oh my goodness! This certainly puts things in perspective for me. I hope that you are able to safely accomplish your goals. Now that I have had a day to think about it, it's much worse for all the staff who are heartbroken, and there are far worse things that could happen! Thank you for your post!