Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's talk meat post op RNY. Please

So, as I sit here 5 months out, complication-free, and so happy I had this surgery, I have been thinking about meat. I love meat- any and all kinds. My pouch, not so much. Tried them over and over in all different manners and they just don't agree. chicken is about all it will tolerate. Any beef is absolutely out of the question and while I'm sad about not enjoying it any longer, especially a good rare juicy steak, oh well. I have my life back! That far outweighs any issues of sadness over it.

The thing is- I would be completely fine not having meat again. I'm not talking becoming a vegetarian/vegan or anything like that. I still love meat-based broths and Soups, start my spaghetti gravy with neck bones etc.

So, other than the occasional bites of chicken as my Protein, I rely upon eggs, milk, cheese, lots of yoghurt, and Beans as my Protein sources.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Yes and it is normal and as time goes on it should be better for you.

In the beginning I could only tolerate fish and very juicy chicken.

I was about 8 months post op before beef really became good for me. I started with Filet Mignon (I know, poor me right? LOL). I eat my steak med to med rare and more done than that and it's too dry.

After filet mignon started working for me, I tried lean ground beefs again and low and behold I could eat them. I also eat very tender cuts of stew meat in stew and Soups and my pouch is very happy.

It also took me a while to tolerate shrimp but I love it now.

Pork.... Can still be tricky. It has to be tender and very juicy so I buy a lot of pork tenderloin and cook them to just done. If they are dry I struggle.

chicken and turkey as long as it is very moist. If it is dry I cannot handle it. It feels like it gets stuck.

I have also had very tender corned beef, brisket.

I cannot eat eggs still but keep trying. I actually get ill from them.

I tell you all this because I am nearly 2 years post op and still work hard at eating my meats. I could tough meats in my instant pot until they literally fall apart. It makes me very happy!

Thank you! Very insightful information. Shrimp don't agree with me either, but I had the most amazing tender calamari in July that I was scared to death to try but I did- tiniest little speck of a bite at a time. No issues there, but it was so fresh and "just" cooked.

I am 3 years post-op RNY surgery. After the surgery, I found that meat was hard to digest. I found that using meat in chili and Soups went down easier, so that is what I stayed with. As time went on, my stomach became more tolerant and I enjoy a good steak every now and then. But I eat only 1/4 of it now instead of a full steak. So most times it becomes left-overs.

Sleever here, so perhaps I should butt out, but I love meatt, too. I have had a hard time keeping down many meatts, especially chicken and pork. Ground beef doesn't work well either.

My answer? Gravy, mayo and saucees. There are very few meatts that go down without one of them. I also have to cut my meatt very thin, or finely dice it if it's in a salaad (chicken, tuna).

I have found that seafood goes down mush easier. Crab legs, crabcakes, flounder, salmon... I love love love seafood nowadays.

Sleever here, so perhaps I should butt out, but I love meatt, too. I have had a hard time keeping down many meatts, especially chicken and pork. Ground beef doesn't work well either.

My answer? Gravy, mayo and saucees. There are very few meatts that go down without one of them. I also have to cut my meatt very thin, or finely dice it if it's in a salaad (chicken, tuna).

I have found that seafood goes down mush easier. Crab legs, crabcakes, flounder, salmon... I love love love seafood nowadays.

Why butt out? We're smited .

Actually, that's quite helpful. I have no restrictions when it comes to Condiments of any sort- NUT feels they are fine since I don't overeat anyhow. I'll try the gravy route! But since I'm cooking steaks tonight for the family, Beans it is!

I am a sleeve to bypass conversion (due to uncontrollable GERD). My surgery was 7/1. PRior to surgery this was a huge concern of mine. My sleeve would tolerate any type of meat: chicken, beef, turkey, pork, fish, shrimp. You name it, I could eat it. I was concerned that that would change with my conversion. So far, I've been quite lucky. I still can eat any type of meat. The only thing so far that I can no longer tolerate is quinoa. I had some the other day and was over the sink throwing up for what seemed like hours. With everything I've gone through, I consider myself very lucky!

I'm 6.5 months out RNY and I can eat most meats....shrimp still doesn't sit "good" but not bad either....I eat mostly chicken, steak, ground beef and pork [emoji3][emoji106]

Ick. meat. I used to love it. Now, (7 months) I can have a little of a rare steak and that's about it. eggs, yogurt, cheese, nuts and Protein shakes have been my go to. But this weekend I made a foray into the great unknown and made my very first ever tofu dishes! Tofu parmesan and tofu pumpkin pie. Admittedly, the pie was better but the parmesan was actually pretty good. Even hubby, who never has leftovers, ate it again the next day. He also ate the rest of my pie but I'm trying to forgive him. This weekend, I'm going to try tofu bbq and maybe some tofu tacos. Or Tempeh. I hear that's good in tacos. Pinterest, here I come!

Ick. meat. I used to love it. Now, (7 months) I can have a little of a rare steak and that's about it. eggs, yogurt, cheese, nuts and Protein shakes have been my go to. But this weekend I made a foray into the great unknown and made my very first ever tofu dishes! Tofu parmesan and tofu pumpkin pie. Admittedly, the pie was better but the parmesan was actually pretty good. Even hubby, who never has leftovers, ate it again the next day. He also ate the rest of my pie but I'm trying to forgive him. This weekend, I'm going to try tofu bbq and maybe some tofu tacos. Or Tempeh. I hear that's good in tacos. Pinterest, here I come!

Did hubby like it because you added pop rocks?

LOL!!!!! No! But I'm telling you right now, no more pop rocks for him until I get over the pie! :D

@@LisaMergs

I broke up with you over the tuna/cottage cheese/cheese melt thing.

You must send wine, roses and chocolate and beg my forgiveness.

I had no control over my taste buds so soon post op- I've learned the error of my ways! (This would be me begging)

Roses I can do

But for GOD's sake- did you clear the chocolates and wine with those who may object to such horrid food choices and blast us here???!! You might as well asked for coffee and popcorn!

Please, please, make up with me!!!