Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey vets question about stalling

So I've stalled for almost 2 weeks and of course I've read the embrace the stall threads etc. Recently I watched vlogs on YouTube with people who stalled and then as their vlogs continue they all lose respectable amounts of weight.

My question is this, it seems that when faced with the stall almost everyone tried different strategies to "break" the stall like going all Atkins or Keto, some began working out furiously and others increased their calorie intake... Do you think there is a strategy or is it merely following whatever guide and being patient? It seems like the answer is the latter and all the other stuff is just busy work and distractions.

Your thoughts?

HW 341 lbs

07/19/16 - 298 lbs

08/09/16 DOS - 286 lbs

CW 269 lbs

Stay the course. A stall about 3 weeks post op is totally normal! [emoji3]

So I've stalled for almost 2 weeks and of course I've read the embrace the stall threads etc. Recently I watched vlogs on YouTube with people who stalled and then as their vlogs continue they all lose respectable amounts of weight.

My question is this, it seems that when faced with the stall almost everyone tried different strategies to "break" the stall like going all Atkins or keto, some began working out furiously and others increased their calorie intake... Do you think there is a strategy or is it merely following whatever guide and being patient? It seems like the answer is the latter and all the other stuff is just busy work and distractions.

Your thoughts?

HW 341 lbs

07/19/16 - 298 lbs

08/09/16 DOS - 286 lbs

CW 269 lbs

Not sure about what your post op diet looks like.

My surgeon was very clear and laid out a very simple eating plan. Specific meal sizes that were initially all chicken, steak, fish.....then at 6 months begin adding crunchy vegetables. So....by definition....it's a Keto diet to begin with so there is no other strategy for me but to follow the normal post op diet.

Stalls are what occur when I don't.

@@LxA

you just had surgery this isn't a stall it is normal healing.

As you get further out, you have to increase calories depending on your metabolism, and possibly make other food changes.

You have lost 30 pounds in a month, your body is taking a break.

If your surgery was on 8/9, then you are in the normal Week 3 stall, which isn't the same as the stalls you might experience later on. The Week 3 stall is your body's normal reaction to the trauma of surgery and the liquid diet. You can't "break" the Week 3 stall, because you can't change ANYTHING about what you are supposed to be doing right now. You should be strictly sticking to your surgeon's post-op instruction and nutrition plan. You should be walking a lot, but not doing any more intense exercise than that until cleared to do so. And you should be making sure you take all your Vitamins, get all your Water, and get all your Protein. It's that simple. You need to just focus on HEALING right now.

@LxA

We are on the same path. I had surgery on 8/8/16 and have lost 17 pounds to date. I haven't lost anything in the last week. I just get on here are read others stories and I feel better about it. Its normal. Its not like were eating wrong because we really CANT eat right now... at least not whole food. Good Luck!! Cant wait to see your pics!

I know you said you read this, but: Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

Yes I have definitely read it. I was just wondering if doing new things i.e. changing diet, exercising more, etc actually did anything.

HW 341 lbs

07/19/16 - 298 lbs

08/09/16 DOS - 286 lbs

CW 269 lbs

If your surgery was on 8/9, then you are in the normal Week 3 stall, which isn't the same as the stalls you might experience later on. The Week 3 stall is your body's normal reaction to the trauma of surgery and the liquid diet. You can't "break" the Week 3 stall, because you can't change ANYTHING about what you are supposed to be doing right now. You should be strictly sticking to your surgeon's post-op instruction and nutrition plan. You should be walking a lot, but not doing any more intense exercise than that until cleared to do so. And you should be making sure you take all your Vitamins, get all your Water, and get all your Protein. It's that simple. You need to just focus on HEALING right now.

I'm not worried about it. I was just asking what other people's experiences at this same time was.

HW 341 lbs

07/19/16 - 298 lbs

08/09/16 DOS - 286 lbs

CW 269 lbs

I know you said you read this, but: Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

Yes I have definitely read it. I was just wondering if doing new things i.e. changing diet, exercising more, etc actually did anything.

HW 341 lbs

07/19/16 - 298 lbs

08/09/16 DOS - 286 lbs

CW 269 lbs

It is hard to say without knowing what you are doing.

Are you tracking your food?

Are you getting at least 64 oz Fluid?

What is your Protein target?

Are you reaching your Protein target daily?

Are you eating enough nutritious food?

Are you taking your Vitamins and supplements as instructed?

Are you practicing mindful eating: eating slowly, taking small bites, and chewing thoroughly?

Are you avoiding starches, added sugars (especially high fructose corn syrup), and fried foods?

Are you exercising reasonably?

Are you getting enough restful sleep?

Stalls are a normal, natural, and necessary part of the process of losing weight. If you intend to lose a significant amount of weight, you will experience stalls. Everyone stalls and just about everyone experiences a stall about three weeks after surgery.

If the numbers on the scale are going to drive you crazy or derail you from your program, then it may be a very good idea to stay off the scale.< /p>

If you are just asking for the sake of FUTURE stalls and not referring to your specific Week 3 Stall, then there are some more things you can do to try to "break" a stall. Whether any of them work is anybody's guess. It certainly might make you feel better to try. But I would be wary of correlation versus causation. Most stalls will eventually break on their own as long as you are sticking to the plan.