Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am so sad right now literally cryed all the way home.. this was the last thing i had to do for pre op and basically i went to take the test and talk about it. I was honest i just should of lied .long story short dr said he was going to approve me for surgery but i need canceling and want me to put off on it. He said i need anti depressants i was so furious.. Did anybody have medicaid and the same thing happen to you how long did you have to wait for surgery sumbody please answer to put my mind to reat

Sent from my LGMS631 using the BariatricPal App

A postponement and further treatment is not failure. Your psych eval is for your benefit --- so you are as prepared as possible for a safe and successful surgery.

I am so sorry you are sad, but getting treatment before surgery will pay off tremendously in your recovery and success post-op.

@@sassy_ tiffany

Surgery is very taxing mentally. VERY. If you are not in a good mental space prior to surgery, surgery and the post-op hormone dump, the inability to comfort with food. They will all push you over the edge, and you can sink into an abyss of depression and despair.

Go to counseling, take the meds. Have your surgery. It is not the end of the world.

Be happy you have a doctor that actually cares about you. Most of these WLS doctors right now care more about $$$$$$$ than patients. If your doctor did not care about you, they could rubber stamp your approval. You are lucky.

They told me about the same thing. I have depression, anxiety and bipolar so I knew that stuff would come up. I already see a councilor so they said see him until he feels like I was ready. He thought I was already ready so we have done a few sessions and then he contacted them to say I was ready. I will have to take there test again and then should be approved. I hope so because I could have surgery in October

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Oh honey, I'm sorry you feel like this is a setback. It's really not, though. For me the surgery is about getting healthy. I was already on depression meds and have a regular therapist that I haven't been to in ages, but the mental assessment was helpful for me. It helped me realized that I use food to deal with other issues, that I'm going to need to resolve in order to keep the weight off. I went to a few Overeaters Anonymous meetings and the materials and support from that program are going to help me address my compulsive eating problems - which I never even realized I had. I had to ask myself, "before I get this surgery, am I absolutely sure I've done everything I can - used every other tool I have - to get healthy?" The true answer was no. I hadn't dealt with why I eat when I do, and not trying to explore and fix that means to me that I was still looking for a quick fix. Which means I am prime target to be one of those statics that get surgery and 10 years later gain all the weight back. I can't let that happen. You don't have to "fix" all your problems before they will approve you, but you do want to demonstrate that you acknowledge them and are addressing them. Meds and therapy help many of us along this path. Get all the help you need so you can be your best self ever! Good luck .... To us both!

Oh honey, I'm sorry you feel like this is a setback. It's really not, though. For me the surgery is about getting healthy. I was already on depression meds and have a regular therapist that I haven't been to in ages, but the mental assessment was helpful for me. It helped me realized that I use food to deal with other issues, that I'm going to need to resolve in order to keep the weight off. I went to a few Overeaters Anonymous meetings and the materials and support from that program are going to help me address my compulsive eating problems - which I never even realized I had. I had to ask myself, "before I get this surgery, am I absolutely sure I've done everything I can - used every other tool I have - to get healthy?" The true answer was no. I hadn't dealt with why I eat when I do, and not trying to explore and fix that means to me that I was still looking for a quick fix. Which means I am prime target to be one of those statics that get surgery and 10 years later gain all the weight back. I can't let that happen. You don't have to "fix" all your problems before they will approve you, but you do want to demonstrate that you acknowledge them and are addressing them. Meds and therapy help many of us along this path. Get all the help you need so you can be your best self ever! Good luck .... To us both!

Thank you so much i really needed that. And you are right

Sent from my LGMS631 using the BariatricPal App

@@sassy_ tiffany

Surgery is very taxing mentally. VERY. If you are not in a good mental space prior to surgery, surgery and the post-op hormone dump, the inability to comfort with food. They will all push you over the edge, and you can sink into an abyss of depression and despair.

Go to counseling, take the meds. Have your surgery. It is not the end of the world.

Be happy you have a doctor that actually cares about you. Most of these WLS doctors right now care more about $$$$$$$ than patients. If your doctor did not care about you, they could rubber stamp your approval. You are lucky.

I didnt think about it like that.. Thank you now im feeling better after reading this

Does this mean that if you have bipolar depression they won't pass you for the psych evaluation? I have bipolar depression and am taking medicine and going to therapy. Will they make me wait until I complete counseling with my therapist before passing me?

I think if you're getting counseling and taking anti depressants, you should get approved. Just don't tell the person doing the physc eval that whenever you're depressed, you go to dairy queen, or eat a pizza. Tell them you're learning to deal with stress by exercising more.

Exercise really helps with stress. Those endorphins that are released when you exercise make you feel really good.

My pdoc postponed approval to the psychologist at the weight loss center for 3 or 4 months because I was going through a hard time. My surgery is for Sept 13 and today is the first day of my pre-op diet.

While I do agree with a lot of the previous posts. It isn't a set back. Sometimes, we do need to deal with things before surgery. It can give us a better chance for our long term success. However, I want to share a little of my experience.

My first psych eval was messed up!!

I deal with chronic pain and the shrink felt, that in her opinion chronic pain doesn't cause depression. This is a false belief. Her reasoning was that because I deal with depression and haven't fully accepted physical limitations from an accident, I shouldn't have the surgery. At least not until I was at my 'ideal self'. I tried asking her what my 'ideal self' would look like and she couldn't explain anything. I then asked her what would be a 'healthy reaction' to waking up and finding ones legs not working (some of my physical imitations). She acknowledged that my coping mechanisms were good but felt that I shouldn't get upset when these things happen. Her version was a little like, sing kum BA ya, hug flowers and shine rainbows when I wake up and my legs don't work. I prefer to do the exercises and work I need to get my legs working again. Which can be a frustrating process and I'm allowed to be frustrated as long as I don't let it ruin my life or be nasty to other people.

She wanted to see me for several months on a weekly basis before doing another psych eval. She was new to the area and I felt like she was just trying to build up a client base.

I was upset about what she said and upset about being being denied. I felt like it was a set back but something was also wrong. I took some time to think about what she said and her diagnosis. I realized she was a little out of touch and her outlook didn't fit mine or my reality. I've been through a lot of therapy and some therapists just don't work out well. It could be that this therapist doesn't fit well for you.

I went for a second opinion. The second eval was much more helpful and I did tell the therapist about the first eval. The second lady said that the eval is to make sure that a person understands the surgery, the lifelong consequences/changes and can reasonably handle the impact of the surgery. She did clear me for surgery but more importantly she actually listened to what I said and my experience. Plus she did understand that chronic pain is connected to depression.

So it could be that there are some things you need to work on and it could be the therapist was just off. It is better to work on what you can before the surgery and it doesn't have to be a set back. Progress isn't always linear.

Good luck!

Does this mean that if you have bipolar depression they won't pass you for the psych evaluation? I have bipolar depression and am taking medicine and going to therapy. Will they make me wait until I complete counseling with my therapist before passing me?

I'm schizoaffective and was approved first time around, psych evaluation that is...So regardless of mental illness you should be approved.

I was approved by the insurance company and the bariactric psychologist with my bipolar, depression, anxiety disorder. I already had my own psychiatrist but also used the program psychologist for the 6 months I was on the supervised diet. My medicine will have to be adjusted after surgery since non of my meds come in liquid form. I have a better understanding of how my disorder may be impacted after surgery. So just because we may have some psych issues doesn't mean you can't be approved for surgery. I did have to get clearance from my psych doctor for the insurance company and the bariactric doctor.

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

I was very intentional about putting together my support team prior to the surgery. I reconnected with a therapist, and found an independent nutritionist who knew about bariatric surgery. I'm glad I did, because I've definitely had some post-surgical experiences that I've been grateful to be able to process and work through with my "team". I figured: this is major, life-changing (good and bad) surgery, and I need to give myself the best chance to succeed. Someone suggesting support is doing you a favor: they want you to be one of the positive statistics.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App