Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Guys, i need advise.

Im about 5 weeks post op. I can barely eat more than 1 ounce and maybe 2-3 times a day. I dont make my Protein goals, im really bad with Protein Drinks. Im also barely making my Water goals for the day. I have been very dizzy the past few days. ANY advise on how to up my protein and water consumption? Im feeling like a failure and my doctors office is telling me not to be so hard on myself, that people can have issues with transitions. But i do feel like a failure :(

You're not a failure. Find Protein drinks you like - it will get you protein and fluids up. There's Isopure , Atkins Lift, Unjury. Add unflavored protein to broth or crystal light. Have sugar free popsicles for more fluids. You need to get better at both protein and Water or you'll end up back in the hospital. It's not easy but you can do it!!! Stay strong!

I have had the same issues but i found if i take a can of Tomato Soup or any cream of Soups that i use my emulsion wand to blend smooth, add a scoop of Protein powder and two cans of Water and sip that throughout the day it really helps. I am more likely to drink more Water between Soup boughts.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my LG-H343 using the BariatricPal App

You are definitely not a failure! Your body has been through an enormous trauma and it is going to take some time to adjust. Keep Water or Protein in a cup in your hand at all times. I know there is some controversy about them, but in the beginning, using a straw was the only way I could get enough fluids in. . . . for whatever reason, it was easier for me than straight up drinking. If you go on Pinterest, you can find recipes to flavor your Protein shakes and even add extra Protein to them to boost your intake. One sip at a time. You'll make it and it will get better. IMHO, the only way you can fail is if you give up entirely and snarf down a bunch of ice cream, cake, candy, hot dogs, hamburgers . . . yeah, you get my point. ;) Just because your body is a little slow to recover doesn't make you a failure, only human. You can do this. Honest.

Thank you! I have tried a few Protein shakes, with a banana Peanut Butter, and a scoop of Protein with almond milk ... it takes me all day to drink it and its only 30G protein. Idk ... im just so dizzy lately.

This is very helpful because I'm struggling with Protein and liquids as well. It just hurts and I would rather just not eat at all

(Which is a major change for me lol) but I know I need to do better and these tips helps tremendously!

Sent from my LGMS550 using the BariatricPal App

i know exactly what you mean, just the thought of eating is really a hate for me. I dread my day to day and having to focus on my Protein and liquids. I cant even go out anymore or else i suffer. I cant get my liquids in when im out. I dont get thirsty and never am hungry so time passes and i feel like shit. I just hate constantly not meeting goals.

I am so sorry you are having a hard time. I am newly post op so I get how hard it is to get it all in. You say you are not thirsty or hungry and I believe you completely.....but, it doesn't matter if you're thirsty or hungry, you hAve to get something in.

My surgeon said the first month is like the first month with a newborn, except with WLS the newborn is your new tiny stomach. It doesn't know what it needs or wants, and it can't get what it wants without you. This is one of those times where, you just have to start doing it, whatever you truly can, not what your non-existent thirst and hunger are telling you.

Could you start with just half an ounce, or a tablespoon of any clear liquid, every 15 min? You can even take 3 tiny sips to get that tablespoon in if you need to, you don't have to gulp. Or how about you let one sugar free Popsicle melt in your mouth every hour?

Please try something new, don't give up, or you're going to wind up in the hospital very soon. You're feeling dizzy bc you are already dehydrated, don't let this progress, please.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

@@Michilingi

The dizziness is most certainly coming from dehydration. The first several weeks are the hardest to get enough.

I learned after about 2 weeks that I could get more liquids in if I literally held the cup in my hand and sipped every few moments.

I started by focusing on Clear Liquids and then was able to get Protein shakes in once I finally found one that worked for me.

I ended up using Premier Protein ready made shakes. They don't have grit, they don't smell bad and there is no fuss. You just need to drink them cold.

Each 11oz shake has a whopping 30 grams of Protein and only 1 gram of sugar. At first I had to thin it out with skim milk so I would take 1/3 shake to 2/3 milk which also add protein. You can also use fair life milk which adds additional protein.

It took nearly 8 weeks for me to be able to get the full amount of protein needed for my height. The most critical thing right now is to get you hydrated. Once that happens you will begin to feel better and the docs know that you have protein stores in your body that will help you initially that is why they don't worry so badly if you cannot get the full protein in. It becomes a problem when that goes on for very long periods of time.

Keep working at it. You have to sip sip sip every few moments and you will feel better.

The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.
Weight loss is achieved after surgery through volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your Protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as protein shakes.
Some individuals find it difficult to meet the daily requirements after surgery. This is because your stomach needs time to heal and this can take a couple weeks or more. But just keep trying and you should be able to get there.
Be willing to experiment. After surgery, my taste buds changed dramatically. Even Water changed. In the hospital it tasted excessively chlorinated and I could not drink it. So I experimented. sugar free popsicles became my best friend. Some individuals find hot or cold can help with fluids. For me, I found that I could tolerate flavored water. So I began using Crystal Light. I also found a new drink Bai which I liked cold. In the winter, I found that I tolerate Hot drinks such as piping hot cocoa. But you have to use the "No Sugar Added" variety. Also fine English teas were very good.
The Fluid requirement is met by a combinations. It is not only the Water that you drink each day. But also the water you drink when you take your Vitamins and medicine. It is the milk you drink. It is the fluids content of the Protein Shakes. It is the water component of the Soups you take. It is met by flavored water such as Crystal Light. It is met by sugar free popsicles. It is met by tea and Decaf coffee. It is a combination of all the fluids that you consume during the day.
There are so many options available for protein supplements, that experimentation is the key. But after you try them all unsuccessfully, then there is the fallback of fortified milk. 32 ounces of 1% milk fortified by adding 1 cup of dried milk provides 56 grams of protein. It also takes a dent out of meeting the fluid requirements. Mix up a pitcher and drink a little throughout the day.

Thank you guys so much! I decided I'm going to just focus on my fluids today and have 1 Protein Shake if I can muster through. I will forget about eating and just focus on my fluids

James hit the mark here- and one of the points- adding powdered milk to things- is something many overlook. Using that- or a good unflavored Protein powder, can be a godsend. I will typically add a half scoop to my flavored shake mixes to hit my Protein requirements. At 5 months out, I'm rarely hungry, can only tolerate no more than half a cup of food at a time, but am fortunate in the liquids aspect as I can drink constantly.

FWIW, the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup Protein Powder is actually pretty good, and a nice alternative. I've begun using it as a "broth base" for steaming my chicken too

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

set reminders on your phone! or leave little post it notes places reminding yourself to sip sip sip! sounds silly but it works! i recently bought a fitbit, so i add an event into my calendar on my phone for every hour saying DRINK! and it makes my fitbit go off :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have to have thinner Protein drinks, the pre-made ready-to-drink kind to be able to drink them. The blended kind is too thick for me and I can't get it all in. But for fluids, I literally have a cup in my hand at all times all day. Even when I go somewhere or to work it is with me. That is the only way I can take small sips every couple minutes to meet my Fluid goal for the day. I found a huge 32 oz cup with lid and straw (I know straws are sketchy but so is dehydration) so that I can take it everywhere (work, stores, church, etc) and not worry about spills. Also, since I know it's 32 oz, I know I just have to go through two cups per day. Then I just sip like its my job, even when I don't want to. All day long. This big plastic cup has become my permanent accessory. I hope that advice helps! [emoji4]