Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MAJOR concern about preop diet, advice/input needed!

Hello all! After 6 months dr's visit and fulfilling all additional insurance requirements I'm happy to say that my insurance has approved my surgery (vsg & gallbladder removal)...but, I'm seriously concerned about the preop diet and here's why: (bare with me, many details to come lol)

Okay, sooo, my last appt for my insurance (conifer) required 6 month dr visit was just this past Monday (aug 22) and I was told on that appt that they will be turning in my entire chart to my case manager from conifer (my ins) that very same day. Now i had been in contact with my case manager for the past 2 months so she was aware of everything from my appts to results and so on. To my surprise, i got a call from her the very next day (aug 23) to tell me that I was approved for surgery and that my surgeon's office would be calling me to schedule my surgery.

Sure enough, i get a call to schedule my surgery date for Sept 7th, and I'm informed that I'm to start my all liquid diet the very next day(wed aug 24)...herein lies the problem...

I was not at all prepared to start my liquid diet. Sure I didn't have my "food funeral" but i literally was not prepared. I had no liquids at home to consume (no broths, no Protein shakes/powders, etc) and financially i did not have the means to go out and buy anything for my liquid diet until I got paid (Friday, aug 26).

This means that i will not be able to start my liquid diet until Saturday (aug 27)...

I'm terrified that my surgery will be cancelled because I didn't/couldn't start the liquid diet when I was told to...does anyone have any input on a situation like this? If it was one day, i probably wouldn't worry as much, but it was 3 days. Will 12 days liquid diet be enough?

I do want to add that i would not eat anything all day for the 3 days, with the exception of a high protein/low carb dinner.

I'd hate for my surgery to be cancelled because of my financial difficulties and inability to buy the necessary items for my diet, especially after having to wait 6 months.

If you're still reading this thanks for sticking around any input/advice is welcomed!

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

I think you'll be fine - just so long as you stick to the liquid diet for

The 12 days. I know some people that have had shorter liquid diets, and some no liquid diets at all.

That being said, will you be in a position to maintain the necessary diets post-op? (Protein shakes, Vitamins, etc?).

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@leliwhoaoh I don't think there will be an issue! Many of us have only 24 hours of liquids - others have a week. I think 12 days will be fine! If you want reassurance- talk to your surgeon but I honestly think you won't have any problems at all! Congrats on the fast approval!

Sent from my KFFOWI using the BariatricPal App

7 day liquid diet here. You will be fine.

@@leliwhoaoh

Just eat Protein early those first few days. Then switch to liquids. The point is to shrink your liver to make is safe for surgery, you can do that with just no carbs.

The 12 days. I know some people that have had shorter liquid diets, and some no liquid diets at all.

That being said, will you be in a position to maintain the necessary diets post-op? (Protein shakes, Vitamins, etc?).

Right after work, i picked up enough premier Protein Shakes, Jello, and broth to hold me down for weekend. I have a trip to Walmart planned to pick up more to last through the liquid stage for preop and post op so I shouldn't have any problems moving forward, thanks for the advice and reassurance!

Right after work, i picked up enough Premier Protein shakes, Jello, and broth to hold me down for weekend. I have a trip to Walmart planned to pick up more to last through the liquid stage for preop and post op so I shouldn't have any problems moving forward, thanks for the advice and reassurance!

Thanks everyone for the reassurance! It all happened soo fast! Last appt one day, approval the next and 2 week liquid diet right after that. I'm happy to say that i am now well prepared for the weekend (took a trip to pick up some stuff right after work) and will be buying more this weekend to hold me down for pre/post op

I think i can let the excitement and nervous butterflies commence lol

You really do need to discuss this with your bariatric team. All in all you will probably be fine, but your team needs to know what's going on with you. They have a pre-op regimen for a reason.

Also, when the surgeon's office called to discuss a surgery date, why didn't you just ask for a later one--giving yourself time to get everything that you needed to do the required pre-op diet? That way you would have had everything you needed. You could fulfill your required pre-op diet obligation and not had all of this mental stress???

I wish you well.

Please call your team. All will be as it is meant to be.