Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's your experience been with alcohol after surgery?

My surgical team recommends no alcohol for 3 months after surgery and it hasn't been three months for me yet, but I haven't had ANY pain or nausea since surgery. I'm attending an event tomorrow night and would like to enjoy a glass of wine but I don't want to get sick or jeopardize my new pouch in any way.

Let me say, I saw my surgeon at 5 weeks post op (I am now 7) and I am in Australia (where it doesn't seem as hardcore as the US rules) and he was so easy going about alcohol. I said I have a wedding in October and he was like 'enjoy it, have a drink. See how you feel - if it's not agreeing with you then OK, you should stop. If it's fine, then it's fine'. So I'd just ask your surgeon and then go from there

I had a glass of red at two weeks and two days with no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

What I'm about to share with you, I do not recommend or condone. Everyone is different and everyone's doctors and WLS teams make different recommendations. I'm just sharing my personal experience since that is what you asked for. I also echo @@jessjames message :)

Prior to surgery, my hubby and I would enjoy a glass of wine (3-5 oz.) with a steak dinner about every 6 weeks or so, so I was not a big drinker to start with (haven't been since my early 30s). After surgery, it was at least 6 months before I had my first glass of wine and I kept it to about 2-3 oz. I felt the effects of the alcohol in my system much faster than ever before; not a real buzz per se, but that warm feeling all over and especially in my joints. It's been that way ever since; and we still don't drink any more frequently than before my surgery.

A couple weeks ago, we were in Pigeon Forge on vacation. We visited one of the new, legal moonshine retailers where I choose to sample some of the various flavors of moonshine. The samples were poured into a very small cup (what I know as a communion cup) so you don't get much "shine" in a sample. However, I did sample several different flavors and would estimate that I got almost the equivalent of 1.5 - 2 ounces of moonshine. Needless to say, I got quite a buzz going and felt the effects immediately. Since I knew what wine did to me, even in small amounts, I expected this type of effect, but not to the level it was. The effects did not last long since hubby and I were walking quite a bit and did eat lunch immediately afterwards. And if anyone is wondering, no I did not buy any moonshine to take home :D

Also, since there is no nutritional value to any alcoholic beverage, I choose to limit my consumption of such because I would rather use those calories on something with substance.

Regardless of my experience with alcohol, it is in your best interest to follow the recommendations of your WLS team.

Edited by MrsSugarbabe

I waited about three months.

Gained the approval from my surgeon.

I've still not had beer....and will continue not having beer. Carbonation isn't something I like...don't want the burps....and the calories from beer are not friendly to my weight loss efforts at this time.

Quality vodka or tequila mixed with very low calorie mixer or fresh squeezed lime juice and such are what I drink when I want an adult drank.

I'll equate the impact as being on par with how it was pre-op....just slightly stronger than before. I attribute this to drinking on an empty stomach....and whatever differences the smaller stomach contribute.

I can still drink at a good clip....just not so fast or much.

I'd certainly recommend you test drive that first drink in the comfort and safety of your own home before doing it in public. Know what you're getting yourself into beforehand.

I had a dinner party that was given in my honor 3 weeks after surgery. The very nice people presenting it are Italian, so I knew there would be a lot of wine and it would be rude to not at least sip. Yes, there is the argument that who cares if you're rude...well I did. When someone spends money to honor you and they know you usually have a glass or two, totally shunning it is rude. I got out of it by explaining that I was still on antibiotics for when I had been sick a week before (no one knew about my surgery) and throughout the night I had a few polite sips of champagne at toasts. I didn't die, lol, and as long as you are at least a few weeks out from surgery, the worst thing that's going to happen is you're going to get drunk fast.

I don't know if the sleeve really does make you drunker quicker, although supposedly that's what research says. I am not a big drinker, so my first drink other than the champagne was about a year and 80 pounds later. Two shots of tequila got me nice and drunk. After that, my next drink was probably 2 years post-op, and tequila still gets me nice and drunk quickly. I don't know that my tolerance is that much different now than before and it's probably just that I'm not a big drinker, so I'm a lightweight either way. Now that I am at goal weight, no idea if it's my size or my sleeve, but 2 fingers of good scotch will get me quite buzzed and an entire glass of wine or champagne is a really nice, no need to drink much more, buzz.

So...medically as long as you are a few weeks out from surgery you're fine to sip (SIP!!!) a (as in one) glass of wine. You'd probably be fine with two, although it might be better to figure out if your tolerance has been impacted at all before you drink more than that.

Past that though, @@jessjames called it...there is a habit of people to freak out on people who question not following every single one of their doctor's orders. Ignore them. Do your own research, don't just listen to us, but there is a difference between what you SHOULD do and what you CANNOT do. Having a single drink a few weeks after surgery that you sip over the course of a dinner falls into the former of the two categories. Just don't make it a habit- not because it's really going to hurt you that much but because it's going to impede your weight loss, which is generally a big part of the reason they tell you to not drink at all.

I would not make my first try in public.

I plan to try wine at the holidays, so my *first* sip of wine will be sometime in November when it is just me and the hubs. if that goes well then I will feel more comfortable to have a small glass at Thanksgiving or some such event.

I waited 6 months and had no problem- though in excess the hang overs are much worse than before. I guess the revised digestive system cannot process it as well or something

My surgical team recommends no alcohol for 3 months after surgery and it hasn't been three months for me yet, but I haven't had ANY pain or nausea since surgery. I'm attending an event tomorrow night and would like to enjoy a glass of wine but I don't want to get sick or jeopardize my new pouch in any way.

In the weight loss phase, alcohol should be minimal at best, and only after the cut nerves and the stapled stomach has fully healed. I drank twice during my weight loss phase, and that lasted a year. I was 4 months out the first time around the holidays (half of a Bloody Mary) and the other time was 8 months out in Hawaii with a couple of Mai Tai's because, well, HAWAII.

Now below my weight goal and in maintenence, I drink on occasion aside from an otherwise healthy, well balanced diet.

Let me say this too, if having a drink or two or even three close after surgery were likely to open your staple line and flood your belly, there would be some bold print warnings in all of our packets.

Let me say this too, if having a drink or two or even three close after surgery were likely to open your staple line and flood your belly, there would be some bold print warnings in all of our packets.

And there it is. The dumbest thing I've read on the internet all day.

No actually, I am a personal injury attorney that is very familiar with causes of action for failure to warn. I'm not relying on a website medical degree, but rather logic and knowledge of how doctors are taught to cover their asses.