Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks for preventing sagging skin once we get our surgeries....

I was wondering if anyone had used/tried Spanx or something like that?

When I had my oldest daughter they told me that using something like that can help re-tighten the skin after pregnancy, help the muscles heal better, and aid in the stomach area going back to normal...

Has anyone tried this? I think I might do it... it helped after my pregnancies so maybe paired with a collegen cream/lotion it may do the trick? Any thoughts?

Some say making sure you have all your protein/vitamins/water will help. Some say building muscle will help. Some swear by miracle creams and so on. I'm sure all of these things won't hurt, but my surgeon, everyone at my surgeon's office, my dermatologist, my primary doctor, the plastic surgeon I spoke to at a seminar, and every other medical professional as well as maybe 99% of the wls patients who have lost tons of weight all say there is nothing you can do. As someone with extremely healthy skin and a family history of basically never aging and as someone who has lost hundreds of pounds, I have never seen any real proof that any of the above things work, only correlation. It would seem (and studies back this up) that sagging skin after massive weight loss is determined entirely by genetics, age, amount of weight loss, speed of weight loss, race, gender, even sheer dumb luck are all much more likely factors. It's just something we have to contend with, unfortunately. :S

This all depends on your age, the condition of your skin and genetics.

For me, no amount of exercise, creams, etc helped at all. I got my Protein from the beginning.

The difference is, I was 51 years old when I had surgery and lost 152lbs. No amount of exercise was going to help. The only thing that will is plastic surgery at this point.

I worked my arms the hardest because I carried so much weight in my arms. It made absolutely no difference to the loose skin there. 6 weeks ago I had plastic surgery to remove my bat wings.

Low and behold, I have these cute little biceps underneath from trying and my arms look fantastic.

My Motto: I will take loose skin over all that fat, I will gladly take the scars over all the loose skin

People don't realize it but that loose skin can really pull on your neck and back. It is not only about aesthetics for me. After having my arms done almost immediately I have less neck pain. I did not honestly even consider that when I had the Brachioplasty. For me, I have just been embarrassed about my arms for nearly my whole adult life.

Best of luck to you....I swear I would take the loose skin over the fat any day!

I agree saggy skin over fat ALWAYS! But I would still like to see if anyone else has any experiences or advice... Id rather try and fail then do nothing at all :)

I have not had my surgery yet (still in the approval phase), but I have been curious about this as well. I have read some information online that dry brushing your skin before a shower can help. It is supposed to improve the circulation as well as exfoliate. Some people swear by it. The other thing I have read a lot about is a diy coffee scrub to use in the shower. There are lots of different ways to make it and usually with stuff you already have at home. You can Google coffee scrub recipes and find one you like. The caffeine in coffee is said to be good for skin.

I figure both of these are cheap and won't hurt to try.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App