Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all!

I am going to my first informational meeting for weight loss surgery, and have been doing some early research on my own. I was wondering, what made you all choose the RNY surgery for yourselves, as opposed to the gastric sleeve? I'm just considering the pros and cons of both, so any input you all have regarding your own decisions would be very helpful.....

Thanks!

I really wanted to have a sleeve and was planning all along to do it. But as the time got closer to surgery, my surgeon said to me that he did not recommend the sleeve for me because I had a hiatal hernia, which I was going to have repaired when I had the surgery. I was pretty upset to have the plan change at the last minute, but my surgeon did explain to my that the RNY is the "gold standard" of bariatric surgery. There are decades of statistics for this type of surgery. I eventually changed my mind and am SO happy I did. I've been very successful with weight loss and I no longer have any reflux issues. :)

I had my heart set on the sleeve because of some of the negative things I've read. I went to talk to my surgeon and he was very honest about everything. The bypass will help me get closer to my goal weight sooner.

I'm almost done with the preop process and cannot wait to get to my surgery date!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I ended up choosing RNY because I had severe gerd and the sleeve can make this much worse possibly requiring a revision to RNY anyway.

Now, I am 100% thankful that I had the RNY. My gerd is cured as is many other comorbities. I lost 152lbs in 18 months and have been at goal since March.

I discussed the sleeve with my surgeon because I too did not want my innards rerouted. But last week I had my upper GI and the results showed a small hiatal hernia and "spontaneous gastroesophageal reflux". Now I'm concerned that RNY may be my only option and for some reason it scares me so much. I know I will need to discuss at my next appointment with the surgeon. Hearing other's success stories with RNY is helpful. Congrats to all on your success.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I am still preop, but I chose RNY because of the higher rate of weight loss. As strange as it may sound, I also believe that the dumping will be helpful. Knowing that I can get that sick will keep me from going back to any of my old habits.

Hello all!

I am going to my first informational meeting for weight loss surgery, and have been doing some early research on my own. I was wondering, what made you all choose the RNY surgery for yourselves, as opposed to the gastric sleeve? I'm just considering the pros and cons of both, so any input you all have regarding your own decisions would be very helpful.....

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using the BariatricPal App

Dr said that because I was diabetic, RNY was the only thing I could get. Plus I had some other things going on as well.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using the BariatricPal App

I went through wanting first band, then sleeve, then RNY before I actually had my surgery. In the end, I had Type 2 diabetes and had recently developed GERD. It really came down to the fact that the sleeve was not a good choice with GERD and also RNY had the potential to put my diabetes into remission. I am 9 months post op now and I have no GERD, no high blood pressure, and my A1C is 5.3 without any medicine, so I am no longer either diabetic or PRE-diabetic! It doesn't work that well for everyone, but for me, it has.

Enjoy your journey!

pam

@@Gordita81

I am guessing you already know this but only 30%of RNY patients have dumping syndrome. I have only had a very single very mild version of dumping and it it is anything like that, you don't want it.

Also both surgeries will deliver massive weight loss.

To everyone that is researching, please make sure that you really do your homework on the differences between these surgeries. They are both excellent options for losing massive weight.

They both bring pros and cons with them that you have to measure for your own comfort. Both are aggressive but effective.

RNY both makes a small pouch to deal with quantity and also reroutes your digestive system making malabsorption a major role in weight loss. This is on purpose and is very beneficial but comes with a great deal of responsibility. You have to take your Vitamins for life and have your nutritional panel completed every year or you risk health issues. There is a short period of time when the hunger hormone Grehlin has been disrupted so you won't feel actual hunger until the nerves come back together.

RNY is considered the gold standard and has been around for WL a lot longer.

The sleeve removes 90 to 95% of your stomach and focuses on Portion Control. It is also very effective. The part of the stomach where the hunger hormone lives is actually removed so therefore your hunger should be gone. That being said, many sleevers report feeling hunger.

You are still required to take Vitamins for life and have your blood checked annually.

The best advice anyone can give you is to research research research before making the decision that is going to work best for you.

You need to take your current health concerns into account as well.

@@Djmohr, Yes I am aware of that fact. I am just hoping that my body will tell me when I eat something that I shouldn't have. I understand that it sounds strange, but it may be what keeps me from going backwards again. I agree that both are going to be hard work. And you are absolutely right, the best way to decide what is best for you is to do research and make an informed decision.

I went with Gastric bypass for the fact I need to lose more than 150+ pounds. And I feel I'd be able to do that better with RNY. Also I found out I have GERD during my endoscopy.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App