Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had gastric bypass on August 2nd. I am now starting week 3(soft foods). Since then I've only lost 12 pounds. I know people say don't compare yourself to others, your journey is different and I 100% agree with that. My post op diet seems to be very different than most I read and I'm worried that's what's slowing my weight loss. At 3 weeks out I'm allowed soft foods including Pasta, rice, crackers and toast. From what I've read on here carbs are a big no no. I was also never given a measured amount to eat other than "eat till you're satisfied" it's hard to tell when I have no feeling. Even now on soft foods and my next stage regular foods I have no measured amount to eat. I called my nut and asked if I should measure/weigh and he said no. I'm worried I'm over eating.

My surgeon set my daily calorie intake between 800-1200 which also feels extremely high. I'm not meeting that, not even close there's not enough food I can eat to meet those calories. I am however meeting my Fluid and Protein goals.

So my question is, what made you the most successful post op? How much are/were you eating at 3 weeks out. I want to be as successful as possible and I'm having A really hard time with this. Any and all suggestions are really appreciated! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had RNY gastric bypass 3 years ago. My regiment was fairly strict. There are other types of surgery such as mini-gastric bypass that some individuals had done and it seems like their post-op direction is very different than RNY.

The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

Weight loss is achieved after surgery through volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your Protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as Protein shakes.

I think my daily caloric intake during the first several weeks after surgery was in the range of 500-600 calories. That includes the calories in the Protein Shakes. At 3 weeks out I was not allowed soft foods including Pasta, rice, crackers and toast and too many carbs are a big no no. The primary focus on food was to alway put protein first.

Hi @@Pink Ninja glad to hear your still doing well. I had my surgery on August 10th and my surgeon has me on a 3 week liquid diet. So it's 2 wks today. I've lost 20lbs but I knew mine was alot of Water weight, yet I've been in the hospital 4 times sense the surgery due to dehydration and diarrhea. I am still having a hard time drinking enough liquids, and that's any kind of liquid. I'm in the hospital right now, no veins for a IV, we are waiting on a nurse who specializes in sticking people that are very dehydrated.

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

at 3 weeks out i was only eating 2oz, soft Proteins, and my Protein drinks. i couldnt figure out if i was satisfied so i bought a food scale to get the exact 2oz of whatever i was eating. i tried toast and it sat so heavy in my stomach i dont think i will try it again for awhile. its strange they want you getting in so many calories. my surgeon only wanted 600-800 max at that stage. but every program is very different. you will get the hang of things!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

"@@Pink Ninja" a 12lb loss is not bad at all! I would definitely skip the Pasta, rice and bread though. At 3-4 weeks we are told to eat only about 2ozs per meal (volume not weight) and have 4-6 meals a day. We are also told to continue Protein shakes to get enough Protein. I can't believe they said not to measure - that's very unusual!

Sent from my KFFOWI using the BariatricPal App

Hello Pink Ninja! Had surgery the same day and am still on soft foods as well. The only carbs on my list are mashed potatoes and only after you eat your Protein source. I love the roasted chickens from the grocery store, and the meat is super moist and i do cheat a bit and just take small bites and chew the bejeezus out of it before i swallow. Wait a few minutes between bites and no drinking until 30 mins after you're done. You will be fine once you figure out what works for you.

Sent from my LGLS675 using the BariatricPal App