Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise Addiction

Here is an interesting article about the relationship between exercise addiction and eating disorders.

It also has a nice look at the difference in diagnoses and treatment between an addiction and a compulsion.

http://m.nautil.us/blog/when-exercise-becomes-too-much-of-a-good-thing

Here is an interesting article about the relationship between exercise addiction and eating disorders.

It also has a nice look at the difference in diagnoses and treatment between an addiction and a compulsion.

http://m.nautil.us/blog/when-exercise-becomes-too-much-of-a-good-thing

Great post. Thank you.

I can't wait to get back into the Water. I was pulled from the pool last May when my back became unstable, but just as soon as these last two drains come out and all of the sutures removed----I'M HEADING FOR THE WATER!!! ---just like an old goose. :)

interesting article. I have been concerned about a guy in my local group who had surgery and has lost his weight but works out a LOT. he works nights and all the time he and his wife (who also had surgery) are posting about biking and other activities. the other day I asked him if he sleeps and he said he had only slept 2 hours that day. I think that's a problem. but everyone in the group holds him up as some kind of example for how we should be doing.

I love to walk. I love to hike and swimming is my absolute favorite. I really enjoy unwinding with yoga type stretching - which has been so beneficial for sciatic nerve pain. but I don't ever want to feel like I *have* to exercise -

interesting article. I have been concerned about a guy in my local group who had surgery and has lost his weight but works out a LOT. he works nights and all the time he and his wife (who also had surgery) are posting about biking and other activities. the other day I asked him if he sleeps and he said he had only slept 2 hours that day. I think that's a problem. but everyone in the group holds him up as some kind of example for how we should be doing.

I love to walk. I love to hike and swimming is my absolute favorite. I really enjoy unwinding with yoga type stretching - which has been so beneficial for sciatic nerve pain. but I don't ever want to feel like I *have* to exercise -

I met someone similar in one of the support group meetings I attended. He works a couple of jobs and was talking about not going to bed but staying up trying to get more steps in for his activity tracker.

He was complaining about falling asleep behind the wheel -- he doesn't sleep much either.

I couldn't stress enough how dangerous that is. Enough sleep is vital. I made a point of waiting a very long time after he left to get on the road.

I had to laugh at my support group last night. One woman talked about how she's going to start exercising right away so she doesn't have any lose skin (ok - that's not going to help much but...) and as we are all leaving the hospital - I look and she had valet parked her car instead of walking 50 feet to the parking lot! Good luck committing to exercise all the time! (And she was NOT incapable of walking).

Edited by KristenLe

My sister didn't have surgery, but she's recently lost like 70 pounds and got down to 130 pounds with Weight Watchers. She exercises 7 days a week, and refuses to have "rest" days, even when her Trainer tells her to. She's constantly complaining about back issues, but won't slow down when she should to rest it. She's also 54, so I can see her really injuring herself and not being able to keep that pace of exercise up, which unfortunately will cause gain when she's sidelined for any amount of time. I've tried to explain that to her that unless you're a professional athlete, moderate exercise is best to maintain the losses, because moderate is better than none when you've hurt yourself.

She says it's just because she's fallen in love with 'being fit', but she's obsessive so I know there's more to it than that.

@@Inner Surfer Girl

Interesting article. Its a good reminder to keep behaviors in check. Let the medical professionals diagnose any disorder.

Many of us had unhealthy behaviors with food and our weight before surgery. (Some meet the criteria for eating disorders) It's not surprising to see some people with eating and exercising disorders after surgery.

Its also not surprising to see some patients turn into healthy athletes or trainers.