Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved on July 12th and I'm about 6 wks out i feel like I can eat about 4 to5 ounces anybody else feel this way I feel like one day to the next I can eat. More

Sent from my SM-N930T using the BariatricPal App

Its not possible to stretch your sleeve if your surgery was done correctly.

As far as how much I can eat.. It all depends on what I am eating.

We all have the possibly of over eating. It's important to measure out/weigh our portions and not eat beyond that. Also to eat till we are satisfied and not till we are full.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@ehedary

You are supposed to be able to eat more as time goes on, that is called healing. The restriction you have at the very beginning is not your real restriction.

When I was 6 weeks out I could eat 5 ounces of baked fish because it basically turns to mush in your mouth, but I could only eat 2 ounces of chicken breast.

Saying you can eat 4-5 ounces doesn't mean much without saying 4-5 ounces of what. liquids? Dense Protein?

I can eat 3 cups of salad greens, but I can only eat 4 ounces of steak. How much you can eat depends on what you are eating.

Yep I agree with some others here...it really depends on what food you're eating that will determine the amount you can eat. Denser foods may take less to give you that full feeling than lighter, or "softer" foods.

This is why I think refined carbs are so important to watch and steer clear of...they are "empty" calories, and most people can eat quite a bit of them before feeling restriction. There's not much by way of nutrition in most of them, so you're filling yourself with nothing, and therefore you get hungry again a lot sooner, and then subsequently eat more...thus starting a never-ending cycle.

Protein on the other hand is dense. Good carbs like those found in whole (not juiced) fruits contain Fiber, again giving you that full feeling a lot faster while at the same time actually feeding you.

You'll figure out which foods will be easier to eat and how much of it you can eat a bit further out. For now, eat what you can, and just make sure your choices are nutritious. Best of luck!

My surgeon said that people can stretch their loch over time. He was referring to people who after healing gradually eat too much. He said if not careful, people 3-5 years out can cause that.

Sent from my VS986 using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon said that people can stretch their loch over time. He was referring to people who after healing gradually eat too much. He said if not careful, people 3-5 years out can cause that.

Sent from my VS986 using the BariatricPal App

a pouch is quite different than the part of the stomach left after the sleeve. they remove most of the stretchy part of the stomach when they make the sleeve.

Yep I agree with some others here...it really depends on what food you're eating that will determine the amount you can eat. Denser foods may take less to give you that full feeling than lighter, or "softer" foods.

This is why I think refined carbs are so important to watch and steer clear of...they are "empty" calories, and most people can eat quite a bit of them before feeling restriction. There's not much by way of nutrition in most of them, so you're filling yourself with nothing, and therefore you get hungry again a lot sooner, and then subsequently eat more...thus starting a never-ending cycle.

Protein on the other hand is dense. Good carbs like those found in whole (not juiced) fruits contain Fiber, again giving you that full feeling a lot faster while at the same time actually feeding you.

You'll figure out which foods will be easier to eat and how much of it you can eat a bit further out. For now, eat what you can, and just make sure your choices are nutritious. Best of luck!

What is a list of some refined carbs, still new at all this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using the BariatricPal App

Agreed a lot depends on the types of food you eat, but also where you are in recovery. As you heal, the swelling in your stomach goes down and you feel as you can "fit" more. At about 8 weeks the swelling should be gone and you'll get a true sense of what your restrictions are.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Protein on the other hand is dense. Good carbs like those found in whole (not juiced) fruits contain fiber, again giving you that full feeling a lot faster while at the same time actually feeding you.

Examples of refined carbs:

"The majority of refined carbs and sugars lurk in the form of wheat and sugar. Common food items include bread, Pasta, crackers, Cookies, muffins, cakes, boxed cereals, frozen treats, pretzels, soda and other sugar-sweetened beverages and candy."

You honestly didn't think you'de be able to eat only 3 bites of food for the rest of your life did you? You'de starve to death!

Like everyone said, things heal up and you're able to eat more. As time goes on, even more. It's the natural progression of things. It really doesn't have a lot to do with stretching.

Dr Matthew Weiner has a great YouTube video about it.

The best way to approach it is to just steer clear of anything processed when possible. Stick to a diet rich in whole foods and lean Protein. If it comes in a box, it's most likely processed...

Anytime things are "extracted" they are not the best way to consume them, with a few exceptions. Juicing vegetables will allow you to consume a lot more than if you were to only eat them. Juicing fruits on the other hand separates the sugar from the Fiber, and that's a bad thing. A good rule of thumb when trying to add more fruits/vegetables into your diet is to "juice vegetables and blend fruits". Blending fruit keeps the fiber intact and still allows for some delicious drinks! You could also add some blended fruit smoothies to vegetable juice to mask the taste of some of the stronger greens, but I prefer green juice with some lemons and ginger.

There are a couple of exceptions that I make to the "don't juice fruits" rule, which are lemons, maybe an apple once in a while (only if trying to mask lots of greens), cucumbers (yes they're a fruit..a melon actually), tomatoes, and peppers.

White rice would be refined because the germ is removed. Brown rice would be the better choice (if you choose to eat rice at all). I think quinoa is the best choice for any grains, and perhaps farro once in a while. These are grains that you can eat in their "non-refined" state, so they take longer to be digested giving your body a chance to digest the natural sugars and carbs in them as opposed to eating refined carbs like Pasta, chips, wheat breads, or fruit juice, or anything with added sugar which causes your liver to go into "overdrive" trying to process everything quickly. When that happens, your liver just starts converting it to fat. It also wreaks havoc on your blood sugar levels and just throws everything out of balance.

I would bet that for most of us who have had procedures done, when you really look at the foods that got us into trouble (not the reasons for eating them), that refined carbohydrates and processed foods were at or near the top of the list.

I think the easiest way to approach it is to eat foods that are as minimally processed as possible. Stick to whole, fresh foods and lean Proteins and you'll be on the right track.

Best of luck!

The thing I've learned (being 4 months out) is that it also depends on how I sit. I never truly realized how much I slouched until after this surgery. If I'm slouching while eating, I can't much in. When I sit up straight, I am able to get food down.