Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss and then stall after one week?

Hey y'all

I'm from New Zealand. I just want to say thanks firstly. Reading all your stories, with your honesty and tips has helped me so much.

I had surgery last Monday..All went well, and apart from the initial pain and usual side effects, it has been fine.

The nurses gave me a tiny bit of pureed food the night after my operation and have been incorporating this with broth and Protein shakes.

I have started walking about 30 to 40 minutes a day and trying to get all my Water down.

My question is this. I have dropped 14 pounds since surgery (and 4 pounds pre op) however the weight loss has completely stalled in about the last 3 days..

Has anyone experienced this? And any tips? It is so confusing.

Many thanks :-)

My tips -- and I mean this very sincerely -- don't weigh yourself so frequently and don't expect weight loss to be smooth and consistent. It won't be. You'll have major pauses and then big drops. Three days is barely a blip, especially so soon after surgery when your body is recovering from major surgery. It is going to do all sorts of crazy things. If it bothers you, only weigh every couple of weeks at most. That way the scale won't control your feeling of success as much. Good luck!

Yep me too. I'm 3 weeks post-op and I was just gliding down but I've been 4 days without losing any weight. It seems that many of the veterans on here counsel patience, just focusing on eating right and meeting the protein/water reqs. Still it's frustrating knowing that for over the past week I've only consumed less than 600 calories a day and I've been ping ponging between 269 and 270. It boggles the mind.

HW 341 lbs

07/19/16 - 298 lbs

08/09/16 DOS - 286 lbs

CW 269 lbs

My tips -- and I mean this very sincerely -- don't weigh yourself so frequently and don't expect weight loss to be smooth and consistent. It won't be. You'll have major pauses and then big drops. Three days is barely a blip, especially so soon after surgery when your body is recovering from major surgery. It is going to do all sorts of crazy things. If it bothers you, only weigh every couple of weeks at most. That way the scale won't control your feeling of success as much. Good luck!

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated. I think you are so right, can get fixated on what the scales say, instead of focusing on what have achieved and following the post op plan. Will just chill:-)

Yep me too. I'm 3 weeks post-op and I was just gliding down but I've been 4 days without losing any weight. It seems that many of the veterans on here counsel patience, just focusing on eating right and meeting the protein/water reqs. Still it's frustrating knowing that for over the past week I've only consumed less than 600 calories a day and I've been ping ponging between 269 and 270. It boggles the mind.

HW 341 lbs

07/19/16 - 298 lbs

08/09/16 DOS - 286 lbs

CW 269 lbs

Thanks, I agree with you, it can be very frustrating, when it feels like you are putting in a lot of work and then I think well if I was eating regularly, would I be gaining? The mind though can play the tricks and guess we have to see the bigger picture. The more I get told too and read about the body adjusting after major surgery and the metabolic changes, it makes more sense..

I think I am going to step away from the scales for a bit;-) all the best to you.

I agree it can be frustrating.... But look at the long picture... You are doing everything right and you need to have faith. For the long run.

Your loss will most likely be not linear, but WLS really does work for most in the long run!!! (For some. It is a short run)

I never would have believed it if I hadn't lived it for 9 years... All those failed attempts jaded me towards diets. This is a new time to shine!! Keep on doing your dr instructions and have faith... Ignore the scale ... As hard as that is...

Just believe this time it is DIFFERENT!!!

Keep posting[emoji171]

I agree it can be frustrating.... But look at the long picture... You are doing everything right and you need to have faith. For the long run.

Your loss will most likely be not linear, but WLS really does work for most in the long run!!! (For some. It is a short run)

I never would have believed it if I hadn't lived it for 9 years... All those failed attempts jaded me towards diets. This is a new time to shine!! Keep on doing your dr instructions and have faith... Ignore the scale ... As hard as that is...

Just believe this time it is DIFFERENT!!!

Keep posting[emoji171]

Dear Julie,

Thank you so much, your reply really made me smile and gave me hope..I have stepped away from the scales and just focusing on my post op plan, one day at a time. It's so exciting that the years of dieting and losing and gaining and despair is over. My doctor keeps reminding me, it is not the solution, but a tool. What a great tool we have all been given :-)

Best wishes

Hi there, oh thanks that's great. I'm a day next to you! How are you doing overall? Yes, I have given the scales a miss for moment. Just wait for first post op appointment I think. Wish you the best too, it's Gunna be life changing. Already finding so much learning. Having a bad day, can't grab a bottle of wine, comfort food. Actually having to deal with emotions!! Instead of worrying about everyone else and making sure they are okay, I'm firstly caring about myself. This is a strange concept ha ha.

Can be challenging to be honest. But I know big picture, it's going to be so worth it.

Well I wish you the best too x

Hi... I've had tons of ups and downs and I am only just shy of wk4. I always went to food as my comfort, since I was a kid....it is really hard not having that coping skill. I'm learning though, I listen to music, audio books and reach out to friends and family when my downs are at their worse. You are learning and the pieces fall into place eventuality. I'm still working on it and I guess it's part of our journey. Good luck, you'll do great!

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App

@@Zenlife, @@LosingAnna,

Hello ladies,

I am NZ too and I am currently living in Los Angeles, CA. I met my wonderful hubby here and it's been home for the last 26 years. Congrats to both of you on your new journey!!! I was sleeved on 2/29/16 and I too struggled and continue to struggle with the dreaded stalls but honestly if your doing the right thing, it will eventually catch up on the scale,

My tip: Weigh no more then once a week.

I feel like I was a slow loser but so far I'm 95 pounds down and I couldn't be happier, thank God for this tool

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App