Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK, so I am 16 months out from surgery and I have lost a total of 130lbs. I'm super proud of myself, but I am having the worst time shopping for clothes......which is strange, bc that is one of my favorite things to do! I feel so overwhelmed when I walk into a store because I have SO MANY OPTIONS now. I am used to shopping in a tiny little section in the back of the store and now I actually have choices and different styles to choose from. Surely I'm not alone here.........Anybody else dealing with this issue? Please share!!

Yes! I am returning to the workforce so trying to buy some professional clothes. I am still (mostly) in women's sizes so the choices are more limited, but at least I am able to buy things in stores.

It is like a huge scavenger hunt!

I'm only about 6 months out but I've already developed a nasty shopping addiction! ;) It's SO nice to be able to have options now!

Options, Options and more Options! I love clothes shopping now. I joke with my husband about it. I liken it to when he walks into Best Buy and his eyes glaze over......men and electronics. I worked there for 25 years and i had to keep a short leash on him when he went in shopping.

Now, that is totally me! We can walk through a store with any clothes in it and I almost tune everything out. I know that I can fit in almost anything and they will have my size! I find myself trying on things that others left in the dressing room just because I can.

Now of course I have to refrain some because I am not yet a lottery winner but God help me if I ever become a lottery winner. I would have huge closets full of beautiful clothes, shoes and handbags.

When I was fat, I hated shopping unless it was for handbags. That is where I spent all of my money. LOL.....now it's hard because I also love shoes!

It's not overwhelming to me, just an absolute blast because I have not been able to shop like that since I was a teenager.

I always hated going shopping with my sister because she was so much thinner than I was and I ended up just crying leaving the store without anything. I'm so looking forward to be able to just go there and look and joy and put on something that actually fits!

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Your bewilderment is common. Take time to consider what you want to express with your wardrobe, each one for each area of your life. The link is to a topic in which I wrote about a book which you may want to look at. I'd mentioned it more briefly in many others.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/373922-i-hate-shoppingwait-what/?hl=%2Bkabala#entry4226619

You may have to manipulate/copy/whatever to get there.

Isn't it great! I went from a size 3X down to a size Small in shirts and from a size 46 down to a size 33 in pants. Before I couldn't even shop in many department stores because their sizes stopped at 2X. Now a whole new world opened up. I replaced my entire wardrobe with up to date fashions. Generally I am a bargain shopper. It is like being a treasure hunter. I purchase clothes at 70-80 percent off retail. The major problem is that my closets are completely full of new clothes and it is hard to turn off the bargain shopping switch.

it takes time and practice to learn or re-learn how to shop. and believe me..you will make some mistakes along the way. but eventually, you will get to know what works on your body and what doesn't. best of all, you won't have to buy the same thing in every color just because it fits and it's a style that you think hides the lumps and bumps.

it's very weird to me when almost everything I try on fits. Now I'll buy something because I like the way it looks on me. Pre-surgery, I bought something only because it was the only thing that actually fit me!

Oh, I hear you on this. I have developed a clothing shopping problem. It is SO FUN to fit into everything and of course that means it all must come home with me. I remember when I first started looking cute in "normal" clothes and I bought all kinds of gym clothing. Haha, now I'm less into gym clothing and more into every possible kind of professional clothing. I still don't love jeans, but dresses...all day long.

When it stops being overwhelming, it starts being a lot of fun.

I am finally getting too small for my smallest size that I had pre surgery. I had several sizes saved for "someday". 16s are starting to get to big, especially in the legs. (I started at a 22/24). All summer I have worn skirts and sandals for work because I have no work pants that fit anymore, not to mention what were my "work shoes" (think black Danskos) are too big as my feet have gotten thinner too. I am both looking forward to and dreading shopping for fall clothing. I love that I should be able to fit into 14s, but I am dreading the fact that I dont' have much $$ to buy a completely new wardrobe -- even shoes. I love to shop, but this is overwhelming. I guess I start with the basics and just add individual pieces periodically.

I hoping to have sold a bunch of clothes at the consignment store and to find some really good deals to buy. I am also hoping for some good deals at Goodwill. Fortunately, when you donate at our Goodwill you get a 25% off coupon for your next purchase! Every little bit helps. :D

Good luck on your shopping adventures.

pam

Oh dear lord, you'll get over that overwhelmed feeling fast enough.

I went from having a walk in closet full of black cardigans, black dresses, black dress pants, black shawls, (you get the idea), in every size from 14 to (tight fitting) 18X to having a jammed packed walk in closets full of brightly colored dresses, patterned(!!!!) pants, slim cut sweaters, sleeveless tops, skinny jeans, tall boots, high heels -- anything and everything shiny and sparkly and flashy and tacky and loud and...

Oh my gawd, how much fun shopping is! My two teenaged girls roll their eyes, even...

I love all the options. I just have to watch myself because I want to keep shopping and looking beautiful in new clothes, but realistically I know I won't get much use of them because I'm still losing and go through a size every 2 months or so. It can be daunting. I also have had to learn that just because one pair of pants fit doesn't mean I have to buy every color or wash because there are so many more options now! [emoji4]