Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve 26th July 2016 - Beautiful Beings Czech Republic

Hi All,

This is my first post...so I thought I'd share my story so far with you.

I am starting my 5th week post surgery. Chose to have my op abroad in Czech Republic because I wasn't getting any help from my GP. I was fed up of the comments from the GP too and the price in the UK for Bariatric Surgery is extortionate.

So took matters into my own hands. If anyone is thinking of going through Beautiful Beings I would highly recommend them. There isn't many reviews for them online though. Apart from a guy called Josh who posted weekly videos about his journey. You have a representative that's with you the whole way. When I say whole way I mean they talk to you get to know you fill in the paper work and make the arrangements once your flights have been booked. They call you before you head out. Call you the day of the surgery to make sure everything is ok and then they call you a few days later to check in. The clinic was spotless and more like a hotel room and the staff are so helpful and friendly. Their whole system runs so smoothly.

I have never felt so scared in my whole life on the lead up to the operation. But after all the pre op tests which were very thorough everything went well. Although I could have happily walked away from the lot when I had to have an endoscopy which uncovered that I have an hiatus hernia and it was up in the air whether the surgeon was going to operate on me. But thankfully all was ok and the procedure went ahead. I slept pretty much for two days straight whilst the girl next door seemed to be more lively than me.

Two weeks before surgery I weighed 310 as I started the pre op diet. Two weeks after surgery I weighed 267. So thrilled. Never in my life was I so happy standing on them scales. Another two weeks on and I'm only 2 pounds down making my new weight as of this week 265. Which is making me feel a little blue as I've gone without so much for this to work for it to not work now. I've listened to my Drs instructions which on researching everyone's seems to be different. There is no one diet there are like loads of them out there. Don't get me wrong I am thrilled to have lost the weight that I have but I'm scared that the weight loss is going to come to a halt and this would have been all for nothing.

This journey is a bit of a roller coaster ride for me. Having to deal with my loved ones eating like they do in front of me whilst I'm eating like a sparrow. Having my best friend not wanting to bother with me. So I feel quite alone. Wondering whether I've done the right thing by having this operation because right now I don't feel happy. I had such high expectations after this op and I know I'm still early days but if you're supposed to lose the most in the first few weeks post surgery and I've managed to lose 1 pound per week for the past two weeks what will it mean for me when the weight loss slows down? Don't get me wrong I wasn't expecting to lose 15 pounds every week but expected more like 3-4 pounds. Is that realistic?

My dad has Gastric Bypass Surgery 3 years ago and whilst he was a bigger guy to start off within his first 6 weeks he dropped like 4 stone which is approximately 56 pounds. He seemed to breeze through his 13 stone weight loss.

I've been so down that yesterday I ate two pieces of bread. They were small and thin but nevertheless I ate them and instantly regretted it fearing that I put the two pounds lost back on because I'm the kind of girl who only has to look at food and the weight piles on and the other reason was that I felt sick straight after. So that was a learning curve for me, won't be doing that again...

I hate moaning believe me even though it's all I've done throughout this post but I've built myself up for this moment for so long and now it's done I'm just not feeling like I thought I would. I was expecting to have lost more weight than I have drop a dress size or two before I go back to work in three weeks time. I thought I'd feel like the old me before I piled on the pounds. I've seen so many you tube videos and everyone seems more perky, slimmer and happier than I am at this point. I appreciate that you shouldn't compare yourself with other people because everyone has their own unique journey. And I am so happy for everyone who has been brave enough to go through this whole process because it's not an easy route like many believe that it is.

I just want my life back on track so I can start living again. Is that too much to ask?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi All,

This is my first post...so I thought I'd share my story so far with you.

I am starting my 5th week post surgery. Chose to have my op abroad in Czech Republic because I wasn't getting any help from my GP. I was fed up of the comments from the GP too and the price in the UK for Bariatric Surgery is extortionate.

So took matters into my own hands. If anyone is thinking of going through Beautiful Beings I would highly recommend them. There isn't many reviews for them online though. Apart from a guy called Josh who posted weekly videos about his journey. You have a representative that's with you the whole way. When I say whole way I mean they talk to you get to know you fill in the paper work and make the arrangements once your flights have been booked. They call you before you head out. Call you the day of the surgery to make sure everything is ok and then they call you a few days later to check in. The clinic was spotless and more like a hotel room and the staff are so helpful and friendly. Their whole system runs so smoothly.

I have never felt so scared in my whole life on the lead up to the operation. But after all the pre op tests which were very thorough everything went well. Although I could have happily walked away from the lot when I had to have an endoscopy which uncovered that I have an hiatus hernia and it was up in the air whether the surgeon was going to operate on me. But thankfully all was ok and the procedure went ahead. I slept pretty much for two days straight whilst the girl next door seemed to be more lively than me.

Two weeks before surgery I weighed 310 as I started the pre op diet. Two weeks after surgery I weighed 267. So thrilled. Never in my life was I so happy standing on them scales. Another two weeks on and I'm only 2 pounds down making my new weight as of this week 265. Which is making me feel a little blue as I've gone without so much for this to work for it to not work now. I've listened to my Drs instructions which on researching everyone's seems to be different. There is no one diet there are like loads of them out there. Don't get me wrong I am thrilled to have lost the weight that I have but I'm scared that the weight loss is going to come to a halt and this would have been all for nothing.

This journey is a bit of a roller coaster ride for me. Having to deal with my loved ones eating like they do in front of me whilst I'm eating like a sparrow. Having my best friend not wanting to bother with me. So I feel quite alone. Wondering whether I've done the right thing by having this operation because right now I don't feel happy. I had such high expectations after this op and I know I'm still early days but if you're supposed to lose the most in the first few weeks post surgery and I've managed to lose 1 pound per week for the past two weeks what will it mean for me when the weight loss slows down? Don't get me wrong I wasn't expecting to lose 15 pounds every week but expected more like 3-4 pounds. Is that realistic?

My dad has Gastric Bypass Surgery 3 years ago and whilst he was a bigger guy to start off within his first 6 weeks he dropped like 4 stone which is approximately 56 pounds. He seemed to breeze through his 13 stone weight loss.

I've been so down that yesterday I ate two pieces of bread. They were small and thin but nevertheless I ate them and instantly regretted it fearing that I put the two pounds lost back on because I'm the kind of girl who only has to look at food and the weight piles on and the other reason was that I felt sick straight after. So that was a learning curve for me, won't be doing that again...

I hate moaning believe me even though it's all I've done throughout this post but I've built myself up for this moment for so long and now it's done I'm just not feeling like I thought I would. I was expecting to have lost more weight than I have drop a dress size or two before I go back to work in three weeks time. I thought I'd feel like the old me before I piled on the pounds. I've seen so many you tube videos and everyone seems more perky, slimmer and happier than I am at this point. I appreciate that you shouldn't compare yourself with other people because everyone has their own unique journey. And I am so happy for everyone who has been brave enough to go through this whole process because it's not an easy route like many believe that it is.

I just want my life back on track so I can start living again. Is that too much to ask?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome!

I think you are the first person I have heard from who had their sleeve in the Czeck Republic. I am not familiar with what your post-op program so can only share what works for me.

First, please know that stalls are a normal, natural, and necessary part of the process of losing weight. We all experience stalls. Just about everyone experiences a stall about three weeks after surgery. If you intend to lose a significant amount of weight you will experience periodic stalls.

Please read this for more information about stalls: Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall.

This is what works for me:

Follow my post-op program.

Track my food (I use MyFitnessPal).

Drink at least 64 oz of Fluid.

Consume at least 100 grams of Protein a day. (Were you given a Protein target?)

Avoid starches, added sugars (especially high fructose corn syrup), and fried foods.

Practice mindful eating: eat slowly, take small bites, and chew thoroughly.

Take my Vitamins and supplements as directed.

Exercise.

In addition, I recommend you use every resource available to you:

Do you have:

a NUT?

A therapist?

You may also want to see if you can find a support groping. One you may want to explore is Overeaters Anonymous. You can find meeting lists, podcasts, and other resources online at OA.org.

BariatricPal is also a great source of support. Keep us posted on how you are dpi get.

Thank you for your response :-)

I wasn't prepared for the stalls no where in my literature did it mention this. I feel a lot better knowing that this is normal.

Thanks for the link I'll be sure to read it after replying.

I'm drinking as much as I can I've just ordered a flask that holds a little over 64oz so I know what I need to get through a day.

I wasn't given a Protein target on the programme they told me 2 weeks liquids 2 weeks soft puréed foods. And week 5 and 6 introducing food they talked about Protein but not stated how much. I can't drink the Protein shakes as they upset me. Been drinking them but they've made me ill. So I think I'm going to have to experiment with a few until I find one that suits me.

Been taking Vitamins as instructed.

I don't have either of those only my GP who isn't an expert in that field.

My dad used to go to an OA meeting. Thanks for suggesting this :-)

You've been so helpful thanks :-)

I feel a lot better now :-)

Where in the UK are you? I'm near Manchester. I had mine privately in Manchester. If you Google St George's healthcare trust bariatric surgery they have a really good post op food plan you can download. I used that as well as my surgeon and dieticians info. Are you just under your GP for post op care/ bloods/ follow up etc? You can message me anything you need to know. You're doing fine. Don't worry. The weight will come off. I'm 6 months post op on Friday and 6 stone lost. I don't follow Protein guidelines etc as in the UK they don't seem to follow them as rigidly as the US.

Sent from my SM-G935F using the BariatricPal App

Near Cardiff. That's where my dad went to have his op. His then partner at the time paid privately for him.

Thanks for the advice I will be sure to check out the site thanks :-)

Well when I came back from Czech I gave them all the paperwork for them to scan and they gave me a sick note without seeing me and I've not been told about needing bloods or follow up.

Thank you so much :-) I will.

Thanks. Makes me feel better. Oh wow congratulations well done. You must be so proud :-)

Thanks. I am. It's been a breeze. If you need me to let you know what bloods you'll need doing and when just let me know. Get some Vitamins in to start 2-3 weeks post op. They gave me forceval but they're too big initially and the dispersable made me sick. Get Centrum advanced chewable. They're nice. Then asap get your GP to prescribe you forceval and arrange vit B12 injection from 3 months post op. Every 3 months for 2 years. Good luck. X

I'm glad. It's so reassuring to hear how well people do after having the same procedure Yes please if you could let me know about what bloods I need doing etc that would be very helpful as I wasn't given any advice about aftercare apart from the diet plan. But the one you told me about yesterday was very helpful I've saved it in my favourites folder to refer to.

How long do you take the Vitamins for? The smaller ones I'm managing ok but the big one keeps making me heave. Thanks for the tip about Centrum will be sure to get some.

What is forceval? B12 is that for Iron?

Thanks for the help x

Forceval is a Multivitamin. It's prescription only. I'm not sure if they are for life or just the 1st 2 years. I'm going to check with my surgeon when I email him later and I'll let you know. I'll take a pic of my discharge letter and post it for you to use x

As far as Vitamins you can order liquid Vitamins on Amazon or check you local health food store. They do not taste great but they should be easy on the stomach. My surgeon has a strict no pill rule that we must follow for 6 weeks post op. I've researched the liquid forms and from what I gather they absorb better then the pills.

I'd rather follow my surgeon and dieticians advice. I had chewable ones as advised for the first 6 weeks with no problems. They just melted in the mouth. They're readily available in our local pharmacies. The forceval are then on prescription only . They're very strong and cannot be bought over the counter or online.

I'm really thinking of going to beautiful beings in January 2017 for the sleave operation. I'm worried about after care. Can anyone give me any information. Tia

Hi Tia, I went with them in July of this year. And I cannot speak any highly of them. They were fab. The communication our end is top notch as they are based in the U.K. Once you are over there your rep phones you on the day of the surgery and after the surgery to check if all is well. It was a really clean and well run clinic. They run thorough tests before surgery to make sure everything is ok. It took me a few months of talking to the reps before I took the plunge and booked. The only thing I recommend is that if you have someone to go with you take them. I took my mum and the girl who had it done with me also took her mum. You are sore for a few weeks as to be expected but each week it gets better. The DVT injections are a pain in the bum but they are over before you know it :-) One suggestion is make sure your GP knows what is happening so they can keep an eye on you and do regular blood tests. Hope this information helps you. Like I said earlier I would 100% recommend the company Xx