Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anaphylactic shock

It's 0430 and im back in the ER. Ive been here for the last 12+ hours or so.

Found out im allergic to some of the meds i have been taking and that is why I've been in and out of the er. Tonight i went into anaphylaxis shock.

How the hell are we supposed to trust our damn doctors when you go to the er and they feed you a bunch of guesses and the one day its almost to last.

Anaphylaxis (anaphylactic shock) is an acute, potentially fatal, multiorgan system reaction caused by the release of chemical mediators from mast cells and basophils. The classic form involves prior sensitization to an allergen with later re-exposure, producing symptoms via an immunologic mechanism. An example might be a bee sting.

So you might have an allergic reaction to one of the medicines that you are taking. Have you localized which medicine is causing the problem?

Shortly after my RNY gastric bypass surgery 3 years ago, I was off all my high blood pressure medicines and diabetes medicines. So my surgery caused me to take fewer meds than before.

It's 0430 and im back in the ER. Ive been here for the last 12+ hours or so.

Found out im allergic to some of the meds i have been taking and that is why I've been in and out of the er. Tonight i went into anaphylaxis shock.

How the hell are we supposed to trust our damn doctors when you go to the er and they feed you a bunch of guesses and the one day its almost to last.

As our bodies change, so do our tolerances and intolerances. Allergies can come or go at any time our bodies are changing.

If YOU didn't recognize your body's allergic reactions , how would ER doctors know? Unless you were lucky enough to see a doctor that you've seen before, ER doctors are professionals that you probably will only come in contact with once. Their main objective is to "stabilize and ship". They are to treat your acute symptoms and then once stabilized, transfer your care.

Have you been seen by an allergist? Do you have an appointment to see one soon?? They will be able to "allergy test" you and pinpoint exactly what is causing your reactions.

I am extremely allergic to anything containing SOY. Over the years I have had to be intubated in an ER several times. Not so much in recent years because I have learned to read EVERY label because the damned cursed stuff is in EVERYTHING---even tuna fish (except solid albacore). ---And soy is the base for many anesthias. Makes surgery a wee bit tricky.

Anyway, I guess I'm suggesting that taking a deep breath and not be quite so quick to "blame" ER doctors for not diagnosing your allergies. Give 'em a break. Now that you know you have an allergy, the ball is in YOUR court----go have your allergy pinpointed and then listed on all of your medical records. If need be, you should carry an " EPIPEN" so you can self inject Epinephrine when you feel a reaction coming on.

Feel better, friend. You know what's wrong. Now you can get a handle on it. All will be well. :)

I dont mean to sound like im blaming the er docs. They have been great. Im more just upset that i ended up back in the er and came close to a negative outcome. This is only the second pill from these meds that i have taken, the first was last week when i ended jp in the er but i was also having other issues with dehydration and something else. So the allergic reaction was mild in that case. Yesterday i started back on them and just collapsed. By the time the emts arived my bp was really low and i was in anfalactic shock.

The med is Nitrofurantoin 100 mg. It is an antibiotic.

I have seen an allergist and know what my food allergies are as well as pollen, animals and molds.

Im not so much angry as i was scared.

Sent from my LG-H343 using the BariatricPal App

@@dede_mont

I've had less than optimal reactions to antibiotics in the past, although none have been anaphylactic since I was a kid, probably because I avoid a certain class of antibiotics because of that. Before my last plastics procedure, an antibiotic that I have never once had an issue with caused a reaction. One minute I was fine, the next I was covered in red bumps and itching. I turned off the drip, they gave me benadryl, and I was fine, so no where near anaphylaxis, but still an new and annoying reaction. Later that day, percocet also decided that it was going to make me break out and itch- a reaction I had never had before on a drug I have had plenty of times. This was a little over a year ago and this summer I had percocet again for a tooth issue and I had no negative reaction.

Like Valentina said, until you've had a reaction to a common drug like that- which is an antibiotic that I have also had- there's no way to know you would experience a reaction. The key is to make sure they know it now for the future.

Hope you start feeling better soon!