Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hand on your heart - how bad were the first few days after getting sleeved?

I'm going in tomorrow, and would like a realistic idea of the aftermath of surgery and what to expect. My surgeon operates mostly on an outpatient basis and I should be home by early afternoon. What am I really in for, based on your experience?

You will get a wide variety of experiences. I had a great one. No pain, no nausea, no gas pains, up and walking the afternoon of surgery. Home next day, slept, sipped Water, slept more. Off pain meds in 2 days. Took some Tylenol for a day to help with soreness when standing and getting out of bed.

Hope your surgery goes well!

Every body is different, so I can only tell you of my experience.

I woke up nauseated with some pain, and my nurses helped alleviate that right away. They kept me comfortable and I spent the night with my vitals being checked regularly. They wouldn't let me leave until I could take small sips of Gatorade and Protein shake and tolerate it; also, I had to be able to pee before they would let me go home.

The most important thing is to follow your doctor's advice to the letter.

Once I was home, I was doing pretty well. The surprising things was the thrush on my tongue because the drugs they give you kill all the good gut bacteria. A little kefir solved that problem. Then I started to run a fever, which freaked me out, but it turned out to just be my lungs adjusting to the surgery. It went away quickly, and my doctor was on call for questions.

I wasn't hungry. I wasn't nauseated. I followed my surgeon's advice exactly, and I recovered quite well.

Good luck. I sure am glad I had my surgery, and I think you will be too.

I had my VSG on Friday, I stayed in the hospital until yesterday. The first day and a half were a bit harsh with pain and nausea, but it was controlled with medication. I threw up twice, but I believe that was due to the radiopaque stuff that I had to drink for flouroscopy to show that I had no leaks. By Saturday night, I was feeling way better. Fatigue like whoa, though! I've been sleeping on and off with walking around the house and sipping liquids and eating yogurt and strained cream of chicken Soup. I've had nothing at all for pain since Saturday night, not even Tylenol. I have some aches, but nothing worth taking medicine for. I've had to take anti-nausea medicine a couple of times since being home, but that seems to be easing off, too. The worst part is the lack of energy, but even that is slowwwwwly getting better.

The surprising things was the thrush on my tongue because the drugs they give you kill all the good gut bacteria. A little kefir solved that problem.

OMG! I was so surprised when I looked yesterday and saw my tongue full of thrush! I couldn't figure out where it was coming from!

I didn't have any nausea, but did have some gas pains, which is normal. I was up walking the day of surgery. Walking helps work those gas pains out, so walk as much as you're able. I stayed two nights due to some pain while eating. But that has subsided (had surgery on 8/15). Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by jkhaik_42

I don't want to discourage you because the couple days after surgery is such a quick passing time.

I was so sleepy. I slept the whole day after surgery. Pain was minimal but they kept giving me meds. I didn't start walking till day 2 post op.

My biggest complaint was a sore throat. I couldn't drink anything till after my swallow test the next afternoon. That was the longest wait..I just wanted a sip of Water

When I got home from the hospital..I still slept a lot, pain was still minimal but my throat still killed me. I was able to use chloraseptic spray and it helped a good deal.

Like I said it's such a short period of time.. Get your rest, take your pain meds, have a comfy spot to rest. A body pillow was my best aid.. I was able to sleep on my side with belly support.

Good luck!!

I was not myself for a few days. Think it was aftermath of anesthesia, I just felt like I was in a fog. Incisions were uncomfortable but not terrible except that I could not sleep on my side. That kind of sucked. Drinking was the hardest for me. I also had a hiatal hernia and it was very uncomfortable to take the tiniest sip but each day was better. I'm five weeks out and except for a pesky incision that is all a distant memory. Good luck!!

I had pain the first and second day and really bad nausea the first night. After that everything was ok to deal with. No shoulder pain at all. The first week I felt drain and very weak. But everything improved by week 2. Make sure that you get up and walk walk walk. It helps tons.

In the hospital I had more pain that was caused by the morphine than was solved by it. Every time they gave me a shot it made my intestines hurt, so I stopped taking it. Then things were better in the hospital.

I didn't really have any pain the first week, I stopped taking the meds. I was able to drink and eat pretty easily, just felt like strep throat.

The worst part was the shoulder pain and I think that came a week or so later, and that was terrible. It was a dull ache that nothing helps but time.

Overall it was pretty easy. I do have a high pain tolerance, and I am one of the few women that will say child birth doesn't hurt that bad, so keep that in mind.

I wish I could have gone home as soon as the drain plug was pulled. I was bored to death, but I really couldn't change my flight. I was a healthy fat guy, I'm not sure what shape you are in, but being in the best shape you can be in seemed to make it very easy.