Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone had these issues

Hello I just joined this group today, I did not know they had an app for gastric bypass. I I had the RNY almost two and a half years ago. But about 2 to 3 months out I was already having difficulties, constant vomiting food would get stuck, my pouch felt like it was going to fall, as if it was being held by a thread. My husband was in the army and got out of active duty two months after I had surgery, so when we moved I was unaware that other doctors don't like to see patients that had surgery by other doctors. I finally found a doctor at about 7 to 8 months out, I was so excited. Although I had to do things on my own and learn from the book I was provided for 5 to 6 months. The doctor I found was clueless about RNY, he didn't even know what blood work to run to check on my Protein and Vitamin intake. He put everything off, finally did an endoscopy and found a hiatal hernia. I told him that I also had horrible acid reflux, I've never had reflux before which he found acid in my pouch. He told me he was going to put a camera in my pouch to see how often acid would come up. Well 6 months later nothing, i was taken to the ER for vomiting pure acid for 2 days and couldn't eat. The ER did an upper endoscopy also, they found an ulcer in my pouch, along with swelling along the line where my intestines and pouch connect. They also found ischemia in my pouch meaning not enough blood flow. They told me to contact my gastric dr. And that I needed a revision immediately. Well I spoke with my doctor and he said that we could not do a revision right now due to the fact that my body wouldn't be able to handle it and I could die on the table. I started bawling and asked him why he waited so long for it to get this far and he tried to make it sound like it was my fault my husband was so angry. Now that I am almost two-and-a-half years out I am looking for a new gastric dr. But it almost seems impossible. I have a doctor a primary doctor that is helping me search for a bypass Dr. due to the fact of what I'm going through, I black out a lot my last blackout was in the shower and I hit my head on the toilet and then later on that day I blacked out again and skinned and bruised both my knees. Abdominal pain, I have pain management, black out after cleaning for an hour. I can't be outside in the sun for more than 30 minutes I will either black out or get blurred vision. I'm always in the ER for rehydration I drink Pedialyte Water and G2 beverages. There's times to where I can't even eat , I blame the second doctor for it because I told him about it when I first became his patient at 7 or 8 months out. So I fired him, now I'm looking for another gastric bypass doctor, he didn't even know what blood work to do to check for all my labs. I have 1 day of energy then sleep 3-4 days , I get dizzy spells , headaches, blackouts, blurred vision, my teeth are rotting from the gums up I'm trying to find another doctor to give me vitamin shots do to malabsorption I used to weigh 258 pounds and then I got down to 125 got back up to 145 then for some reason I couldn't eat and had the runs of it looked like bile for 7 days and got back down to 128 now I'm trying to gain weight again. I can't exercise due to doctors notes, I can't work due to doctors notes and I can't see a psychologist due to the fact that they can't help me because mentally I'm fine it's my physical situation that I need psychologist. I can't get a revision until the ulcers heal I now have 2, and the swelling goes down. If I have a revision and I get ulcers again my next revision will be removing my pouch and conecting my small intestines directly to my esophagus. Does anyone else have anything like this that they may be going through? I asked my doctor if I had P.O.T.S. because I match all but 1. Racing heart beat. My lowest blood pressure was 95/36 my highest was 132/98 due to I felt horrible that day. post-298441-14714737609808_thumb.jpg post-298441-14714737888404_thumb.jpg post-298441-14714738330216_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using the BariatricPal App

Edited by crissy79

I'm so sorry you are going through all this....I wish I could offer some advice [emoji53]..best of luck to you finding a doctor that will help you get well.

Hello I just joined this group today, I did not know they had an app for gastric bypass. I I had the RNY almost two and a half years ago. But about 2 to 3 months out I was already having difficulties, constant vomiting food would get stuck, my pouch felt like it was going to fall, as if it was being held by a thread. My husband was in the army and got out of active duty two months after I had surgery, so when we moved I was unaware that other doctors don't like to see patients that had surgery by other doctors. I finally found a doctor at about 7 to 8 months out, I was so excited. Although I had to do things on my own and learn from the book I was provided for 5 to 6 months. The doctor I found was clueless about RNY, he didn't even know what blood work to run to check on my Protein and Vitamin intake. He put everything off, finally did an endoscopy and found a hiatal hernia. I told him that I also had horrible acid reflux, I've never had reflux before which he found acid in my pouch. He told me he was going to put a camera in my pouch to see how often acid would come up. Well 6 months later nothing, i was taken to the ER for vomiting pure acid for 2 days and couldn't eat. The ER did an upper endoscopy also, they found an ulcer in my pouch, along with swelling along the line where my intestines and pouch connect. They also found ischemia in my pouch meaning not enough blood flow. They told me to contact my gastric dr. And that I needed a revision immediately. Well I spoke with my doctor and he said that we could not do a revision right now due to the fact that my body wouldn't be able to handle it and I could die on the table. I started bawling and asked him why he waited so long for it to get this far and he tried to make it sound like it was my fault my husband was so angry. Now that I am almost two-and-a-half years out I am looking for a new gastric dr. But it almost seems impossible. I have a doctor a primary doctor that is helping me search for a bypass Dr. due to the fact of what I'm going through, I black out a lot my last blackout was in the shower and I hit my head on the toilet and then later on that day I blacked out again and skinned and bruised both my knees. Abdominal pain, I have pain management, black out after cleaning for an hour. I can't be outside in the sun for more than 30 minutes I will either black out or get blurred vision. I'm always in the ER for rehydration I drink Pedialyte Water and G2 beverages. There's times to where I can't even eat , I blame the second doctor for it because I told him about it when I first became his patient at 7 or 8 months out. So I fired him, now I'm looking for another gastric bypass doctor, he didn't even know what blood work to do to check for all my labs. I have 1 day of energy then sleep 3-4 days , I get dizzy spells , headaches, blackouts, blurred vision, my teeth are rotting from the gums up I'm trying to find another doctor to give me Vitamin shots do to malabsorption I used to weigh 258 pounds and then I got down to 125 got back up to 145 then for some reason I couldn't eat and had the runs of it looked like bile for 7 days and got back down to 128 now I'm trying to gain weight again. I can't exercise due to doctors notes, I can't work due to doctors notes and I can't see a psychologist due to the fact that they can't help me because mentally I'm fine it's my physical situation that I need psychologist. I can't get a revision until the ulcers heal I now have 2, and the swelling goes down. If I have a revision and I get ulcers again my next revision will be removing my pouch and conecting my small intestines directly to my esophagus. Does anyone else have anything like this that they may be going through? I asked my doctor if I had P.O.T.S. because I match all but 1. Racing heart beat. My lowest blood pressure was 95/36 my highest was 132/98 due to I felt horrible that day. attachicon.gif 20140619_192002-1.jpgattachicon.gif 20150821_212226.jpgattachicon.gif 20160305_102102-1.jpg

My goodness crissy79, I am sorry for your pain. We have a wonderful bariatric unit in MD called John's Hopkins Bayview medical center. Not sure where your located but it sounds like you need some good medical care. Best of luck for a speedy recovery. Prayers coming your way.

Sent from my VS985 4G using the BariatricPal App

I am so sorry to hear how bad things are going for you.

It might help to know where you are located. There are people all over the world on this site that might make a recommendation on a proper Bariatric surgeon that can help.

I am not a doctor nor do I have medical experience. So take what I say with a grain of salt. I am 3 years post-op RNY gastric bypass surgery. It seems like you have multiple conditions, so let me talk about these individually.

General

The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

Weight loss is achieved after surgery through volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your Protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as Protein shakes.

It looks like you have lost the weight are in the Maintenance phase. So generally your meal volume allotment is now large enough that if you concentrated on eating high protein meals, you might not need to add protein supplements (protein shakes, protein bars). I found it difficult to transition to solid foods (such as steak and chicken) after surgery so I primarily relied on softer foods such as chili and Soups. I fortified these with extra protein. I have included the recipes at the end of the following article. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf But if you are having difficulty keeping food down, then you may have to go back to protein supplements just to ensure you get the proper amount of protein in daily.

Ulcers

Nausea and vomiting are the most common complaints after bariatric surgery, and they are typically associated with inappropriate diet and noncompliance with a gastroplasty diet (ie, eat undisturbed, chew meticulously, never drink with meals, and wait 2 hours before drinking after solid food is consumed). If these symptoms are associated with epigastric pain, significant dehydration, or not explained by dietary indiscretions, an alternative diagnosis must be explored. One of the most common complications causing nausea and vomiting in gastric bypass patients is anastomotic ulcers, with and without stomal stenosis. Ulceration or stenosis at the gastrojejunostomy of the gastric bypass has a reported incidence of 3% to 20%. Although no unifying explanation for the etiology of anastomotic ulcers exists, most experts agree that the pathogenesis is likely multifactorial. These ulcers are thought to be due to a combination of preserved acid secretion in the pouch, tension from the Roux limb, ischemia from the operation, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) use, and perhaps Helicobacter pylori infection. Evidence suggests that little acid is secreted in the gastric bypass pouch; however, staple line dehiscence may lead to excessive acid bathing of the anastomosis. Treatment for both marginal ulcers and stomal ulcers should include avoidance of NSAIDs, antisecretory therapy with proton-pump inhibitors, and/or sucralfate. In addition, H pylori infection should be identified and treated, if present.

So the general advice from above if I am interpreting it properly is to eat undisturbed, chew meticulously, never drink with meals, and wait 2 hours before drinking after solid food is consumed. Also avoid NSAIDs (such as Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Diclofenac, Naproxen, Meloxicam, Celecoxib, Indomethacin, Ketorolac, Ketoprofen, Nimesulide, Piroxicam, Etoricoxib, Mefenamic acid, Carprofen, Aspirin/paracetamol/caffeine, Etodolac, Loxoprofen, Nabumetone, Flurbiprofen, Salicylic acid, Aceclofenac, Sulindac, Phenylbutazone, Dexketoprofen, Lornoxicam, Tenoxicam, Diflunisal, Diclofenac/Misoprostol, Flunixin, Benzydamine, Valdecoxib, Oxaprozin, Nepafenac, Etofenamate, Ethenzamide, Naproxen sodium, Dexibuprofen, Diclofenac sodium, Bromfenac, Diclofenac potassium, Fenoprofen, Tolfenamic acid, Tolmetin, Tiaprofenic acid, Lumiracoxib, Phenazone, Salsalate, Felbinac, Hydrocodone/ibuprofen, Fenbufen] and but use proton pump inhibitors [Omeprazole, Pantoprazole, Esomeprazole, Lansoprazole, Rabeprazole, Dexlansoprazole, Rabeprazole sodium, Pantoprazole sodium, Esomeprazole magnesium, Omeprazole magnesium, Naproxen/Esomeprazole, Esomeprazole sodium, Omeprazole/Bicarbonate ion] and/or sucralfate [Carafate] antacid.

After RNY gastric bypass surgery, my surgeon put me on Omeprazole [Prilosec] for a year to lessen the affects of surgery on my stomach.

Passing Out

The fact that you have passed out a few times might be due to a condition called Reactive Hypoglycemia. This is a low blood sugar condition that affects some RNY patients. Here is a link that describes the condition. https://www.ridgeviewmedical.org/services/bariatric-weight-loss/enewsletter-articles/reactive-hypoglycemia-postgastric-bypass

I am not a doctor nor do I have medical experience. So take what I say with a grain of salt. I am 3 years post-op RNY gastric bypass surgery. It seems like you have multiple conditions, so let me talk about these individually.

General

The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

Weight loss is achieved after surgery through volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your Protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as protein shakes.

It looks like you have lost the weight are in the Maintenance phase. So generally your meal volume allotment is now large enough that if you concentrated on eating high protein meals, you might not need to add protein supplements (protein shakes, protein bars). I found it difficult to transition to solid foods (such as steak and chicken) after surgery so I primarily relied on softer foods such as chili and Soups. I fortified these with extra protein. I have included the recipes at the end of the following article. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf But if you are having difficulty keeping food down, then you may have to go back to protein supplements just to ensure you get the proper amount of protein in daily.

Ulcers

Nausea and vomiting are the most common complaints after bariatric surgery, and they are typically associated with inappropriate diet and noncompliance with a gastroplasty diet (ie, eat undisturbed, chew meticulously, never drink with meals, and wait 2 hours before drinking after solid food is consumed). If these symptoms are associated with epigastric pain, significant dehydration, or not explained by dietary indiscretions, an alternative diagnosis must be explored. One of the most common complications causing nausea and vomiting in gastric bypass patients is anastomotic ulcers, with and without stomal stenosis. Ulceration or stenosis at the gastrojejunostomy of the gastric bypass has a reported incidence of 3% to 20%. Although no unifying explanation for the etiology of anastomotic ulcers exists, most experts agree that the pathogenesis is likely multifactorial. These ulcers are thought to be due to a combination of preserved acid secretion in the pouch, tension from the Roux limb, ischemia from the operation, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) use, and perhaps Helicobacter pylori infection. Evidence suggests that little acid is secreted in the gastric bypass pouch; however, staple line dehiscence may lead to excessive acid bathing of the anastomosis. Treatment for both marginal ulcers and stomal ulcers should include avoidance of NSAIDs, antisecretory therapy with proton-pump inhibitors, and/or sucralfate. In addition, H pylori infection should be identified and treated, if present.

So the general advice from above if I am interpreting it properly is to eat undisturbed, chew meticulously, never drink with meals, and wait 2 hours before drinking after solid food is consumed. Also avoid NSAIDs (such as Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Diclofenac, Naproxen, Meloxicam, Celecoxib, Indomethacin, Ketorolac, Ketoprofen, Nimesulide, Piroxicam, Etoricoxib, Mefenamic acid, Carprofen, Aspirin/paracetamol/caffeine, Etodolac, Loxoprofen, Nabumetone, Flurbiprofen, Salicylic acid, Aceclofenac, Sulindac, Phenylbutazone, Dexketoprofen, Lornoxicam, Tenoxicam, Diflunisal, Diclofenac/Misoprostol, Flunixin, Benzydamine, Valdecoxib, Oxaprozin, Nepafenac, Etofenamate, Ethenzamide, Naproxen sodium, Dexibuprofen, Diclofenac sodium, Bromfenac, Diclofenac potassium, Fenoprofen, Tolfenamic acid, Tolmetin, Tiaprofenic acid, Lumiracoxib, Phenazone, Salsalate, Felbinac, Hydrocodone/ibuprofen, Fenbufen] and but use proton pump inhibitors [Omeprazole, Pantoprazole, Esomeprazole, Lansoprazole, Rabeprazole, Dexlansoprazole, Rabeprazole sodium, Pantoprazole sodium, Esomeprazole magnesium, Omeprazole magnesium, Naproxen/Esomeprazole, Esomeprazole sodium, Omeprazole/Bicarbonate ion] and/or sucralfate [Carafate] antacid.

After RNY gastric bypass surgery, my surgeon put me on Omeprazole [Prilosec] for a year to lessen the affects of surgery on my stomach.

Passing Out

The fact that you have passed out a few times might be due to a condition called Reactive Hypoglycemia. This is a low blood sugar condition that affects some RNY patients. Here is a link that describes the condition. https://www.ridgeviewmedical.org/services/bariatric-weight-loss/enewsletter-articles/reactive-hypoglycemia-postgastric-bypass

I am not allowed to take anything other than tylenol, I get the liquid form because pills hurt. I have diverticulitis also had it before surgery and didn't know ibuprofen could cause a flare up, but my pain was only on my lower left side. Now my pouch and intire abdominal hurts, so I was put on Fentanyl Patches I switch every 3 days and Tylenol for the headaches. I took omeprazole for 1.5 years then they switched me to Nexium and ranitidine to control acid 300 mg. Total a day. I have been to 7 doctors now 6 since my gastric doctor failed me. Looking for new one. I eat cream of chicken soups, home made Protein Shakes with Protein powder, whole milk, Greek yogurt and banana with a little avocado. I eat q tablespoons of Peanut Butter on a half piece of toast, not my favorite. Lots of watermelon along with my Water, pedialight and G2 to try to stay hydrated. I tried to eat chicken my tummy don't like. But I can eat fish except salmon it is to dry, so I have to mix it with Soup tilapia is my favorite plus really soft, also tuna but can't eat to much due to Mercury. After 2 years this is all I can eat. I can't eat eggs anymore makes me sick. But I try to munch all day but sometimes my stomach or my sense of smell changes every week. I went on a Beans and added colby cheese. But bloated up to bad. So have to stay away for a while, it made me bloat horribly. I haven't had any cavities for 3 years before surgery 1.5 years after surgery I have 10 teeth that need fixing below the gum line. My last lab I was low on everything. So they said I am not absorbing Vitamins and protein properly. My last appointment with my doctor 1 week ago I broke down with horrible anxiety and asked him why he can't fix me. That's when they sent me to psychologist, he couldn't help so he sent me to someone to subscribe 40mg of celexa and .05mg of xanax. Thank you for the imput though. On the food photo mine is the tiny bowl before and after when I try to eat meat. I wait 30 min. Before and after to drink when I eat. The big belly is my bloating and the other one is how flat my tummy usually is. And my knees from my last fall they are still healing and my CT scan came back clear of any bleeding or bruising from hitting my head on the toilet. I just want my life back. I followed all the rules in the book I was given right before surgery with the weekly group meetings. I know 2 people who died one just turned 2 years out and the other was 1 year out.. so basically I am still sticking to mostly liquid stuff. And I eat prunes to keep soft stools I chew then spit out the stuff I know will get stuck.post-298441-14714815871902_thumb.jpg post-298441-14714804056682_thumb.jpg post-298441-14714804339182_thumb.jpg post-298441-14714804422796_thumb.jpg

post-298441-1471479922107_thumb.jpg post-298441-14714799446687_thumb.jpg

Edited by crissy79

Hello I just joined this group today, I did not know they had an app for gastric bypass. I I had the RNY almost two and a half years ago. But about 2 to 3 months out I was already having difficulties, constant vomiting food would get stuck, my pouch felt like it was going to fall, as if it was being held by a thread. My husband was in the army and got out of active duty two months after I had surgery, so when we moved I was unaware that other doctors don't like to see patients that had surgery by other doctors. I finally found a doctor at about 7 to 8 months out, I was so excited. Although I had to do things on my own and learn from the book I was provided for 5 to 6 months. The doctor I found was clueless about RNY, he didn't even know what blood work to run to check on my Protein and Vitamin intake. He put everything off, finally did an endoscopy and found a hiatal hernia. I told him that I also had horrible acid reflux, I've never had reflux before which he found acid in my pouch. He told me he was going to put a camera in my pouch to see how often acid would come up. Well 6 months later nothing, i was taken to the ER for vomiting pure acid for 2 days and couldn't eat. The ER did an upper endoscopy also, they found an ulcer in my pouch, along with swelling along the line where my intestines and pouch connect. They also found ischemia in my pouch meaning not enough blood flow. They told me to contact my gastric dr. And that I needed a revision immediately. Well I spoke with my doctor and he said that we could not do a revision right now due to the fact that my body wouldn't be able to handle it and I could die on the table. I started bawling and asked him why he waited so long for it to get this far and he tried to make it sound like it was my fault my husband was so angry. Now that I am almost two-and-a-half years out I am looking for a new gastric dr. But it almost seems impossible. I have a doctor a primary doctor that is helping me search for a bypass Dr. due to the fact of what I'm going through, I black out a lot my last blackout was in the shower and I hit my head on the toilet and then later on that day I blacked out again and skinned and bruised both my knees. Abdominal pain, I have pain management, black out after cleaning for an hour. I can't be outside in the sun for more than 30 minutes I will either black out or get blurred vision. I'm always in the ER for rehydration I drink Pedialyte Water and G2 beverages. There's times to where I can't even eat , I blame the second doctor for it because I told him about it when I first became his patient at 7 or 8 months out. So I fired him, now I'm looking for another gastric bypass doctor, he didn't even know what blood work to do to check for all my labs. I have 1 day of energy then sleep 3-4 days , I get dizzy spells , headaches, blackouts, blurred vision, my teeth are rotting from the gums up I'm trying to find another doctor to give me Vitamin shots do to malabsorption I used to weigh 258 pounds and then I got down to 125 got back up to 145 then for some reason I couldn't eat and had the runs of it looked like bile for 7 days and got back down to 128 now I'm trying to gain weight again. I can't exercise due to doctors notes, I can't work due to doctors notes and I can't see a psychologist due to the fact that they can't help me because mentally I'm fine it's my physical situation that I need psychologist. I can't get a revision until the ulcers heal I now have 2, and the swelling goes down. If I have a revision and I get ulcers again my next revision will be removing my pouch and conecting my small intestines directly to my esophagus. Does anyone else have anything like this that they may be going through? I asked my doctor if I had P.O.T.S. because I match all but 1. Racing heart beat. My lowest blood pressure was 95/36 my highest was 132/98 due to I felt horrible that day. attachicon.gif 20140619_192002-1.jpgattachicon.gif 20150821_212226.jpgattachicon.gif 20160305_102102-1.jpg

My goodness crissy79, I am sorry for your pain. We have a wonderful bariatric unit in MD called John's Hopkins Bayview medical center. Not sure where your located but it sounds like you need some good medical care. Best of luck for a speedy recovery. Prayers coming your way.

Sent from my VS985 4G using the BariatricPal App

Las Vegas, Nv. I am planning a trip to California. I heard they have a good hospital there to. If a bypass doctor won't accept me. thank you.

Edited by crissy79

I live in Las Vegas, these are the pain meds I am on. Doc said it is a high dosage, 50 mcg. They said it is like morphine being pumped every 4 hours in my system, I used to be on oxicodine but those are addicting so I asked for non pill forms since the ulcers hurt to swallow them every 4-6 hours.post-298441-14714828719528_thumb.jpg

Edited by crissy79

I believe Duke accepts patients who have had bad outcomes from other doctors and who need revision. They are top notch.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Duke University is a teaching hospital in Durham, North Carolina. They are one of the top hospitals in the country.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

I am so sorry for all your pain and suffering. These kind of stories terrify me! And did you say you had 2 friends pass from gastric bypass? My prayers for hope are coming your way. I pray you get some answers and start to truly live your life.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

I believe Duke accepts patients who have had bad outcomes from other doctors and who need revision. They are top notch.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Is duke a doctor or medical facility? Is he in Las Vegas, Nv. Or California?

Crissy79, my I ask who did your surgery? I am in the process of having sleeve done in Las Vegas.

I hope you get a doctor that can get you through this. Prayers.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App