Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting started/keeping motivated

I am just starting the preoperative visits- I was wanting know what people did to get started moving and getting exercise - how do you keep motivated and stay honest - I have been considering a fit bit but would have upgrade my current device because the IPad I have now is not compatible with it - the only apple device that isn't just my luck, but if it is worth the upgrade and a useful tool I would so any advice and or suggestions would be appreciated

Edited by prairieprincess

I have a stationary bike in front of my television. I get on it and pedal during my favorite program. Also, I made a chart. Each day that I exercise for 30 minutes, I give myself a gold star. Childish? A little, but it works for me. Plus my family sees the chart too, so I'm held accountable for my exercise.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using the BariatricPal App

Since you are at the beginning of this process, I would recommend three things.

1. Take a good before photograph of yourself, so that you have something to compare to after surgery. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success.

2. Walk 30 minutes each day, every day until surgery (or equivalent exercise). Walking helps the recovery process go smoothly and minimized the pain levels from surgery.

3. Wean yourself from caffeine and carbonated beverages now. After I gave up my 6 diet coke a day habit, I suffered from a week of severe withdrawal syndrome consisting of severe headaches and body aches. I was miserable. You don't want to combine the effects of caffeine withdrawal with the effects of surgery.

I am just starting the preoperative visits- I was wanting know what people did to get started moving and getting exercise - how do you keep motivated and stay honest - I have been considering a fit bit but would have upgrade my current device because the IPad I have now is not compatible with it - the only apple device that isn't just my luck, but if it is worth the upgrade and a useful tool I would so any advice and or suggestions would be appreciated

Pre-op, I was very immobile to the point that even getting in and out of a pool was difficult. I got an exercise peddler and started pedaling it with my hands while I watched tv. I counted time and worked up to at least an hour a day.

Once I was cleared, post-op, most of my exercise has been on the pool.

My sister gave me a Misfit shine and I wear it all the time. I like it because it ties in with My FintnessPal and it is great for swimming.

I'm pre-op myself, I do Water aerobics. I've been doing it for years after basically breaking both my legs a few years back. All the gravity plus my weight made it extremely difficult to walk on the weakened joints. I stay accountable because I actually teach them now! Lol. I aways feel better after work. The heated pool is great on the joint pain plus the moving without gravity makes it far less painful and working in the Water adds more resistance. It's my favorite thing to do now though 5 years ago I would've never imagined it.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

If you want the fitbit there is a Fitbit sync app

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App