Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doctor refuses to do iron test

Ok so I went in for my first post-op blood work up.. The tests are done for free where I live. So I went to the GP with the doctors list of tests needed post-op which includes Iron levels. The GP said she will do a CBC first and only in case my HB was low then she will do an iron level test(to cut cost). However she did ordered for all Vitamin levels test in the doctors list. My Hb levels came back @12.4 so she said there is no need to test for iron levels. I have not been taking an iron supplement and my Multivitamins does not include iron. Does this mean that I'm still absorbing iron well from my food? ! Do I really need an iron level test?!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Are you post menopause? Or have you had a hysterectomy?

Prior to surgery I had to take Iron supplements. Post surgery because I had a hysterectomy I no longer needed to take anything extra.

I had RNY gastric bypass surgery whereas you had a mini gastric bypass. As a result of my surgery, my body does not synthesis the Vitamins and minerals that I need from the food I eat. So I have to take Vitamins for the rest of my life in order to avoid becoming Vitamin deficient. But I do not know if this is the case for the mini gastric bypass patients. In my case my follow-on blood work-up showed that I was Iron deficient. This is despite the fact that I am male. As a result, I take a daily Iron supplement of 65 mg of Ferrous Sulfate. This chemistry is better absorbed.

In general, after surgery, I undergo a yearly blood workup, which checks my vitamin/mineral levels. This is directed by my surgeon's office. After 5 years post-op, this tasks of writing the medical scripts for the bloodwork will be passed on to my general practitioner (GP) to generate. These blood tests are fairly extensive. It is better if the surgeon's office requests this type of testing rather than a GP because the surgeon's office understands the malabsorption issue caused by the surgery.

A complete blood count (CBC) is a blood test used to evaluate your overall health and detect a wide range of disorders, including anemia, infection and leukemia. http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/complete-blood-count/basics/definition/prc-20014088 Often, the first test used to diagnose anemia is a complete blood count (CBC). The CBC measures many parts of your blood. This test checks your hemoglobin and hematocrit levels. Hemoglobin is an iron-rich Protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen to the body. Hematocrit is a measure of how much space red blood cells take up in your blood. A low level of hemoglobin or hematocrit is a sign of anemia. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/ida/diagnosis So if I understand this correctly, then your doctor is right, a CBC will tell you if you have anemia and if you do than follow-on testing can tell if this was caused by an iron deficiency.

@@mmy 12.5 g/dL is within normal range for all ages of women, so you don't need an additional test.

I am always anemic but it is genetic not Iron deficit. If a new doctor sees my labs they assume I am iron deficit. I have to tell them extra iron is not good for me and it will not change my level of anemia. I would love to have a 12.4 hemoglobin.

I am always anemic but it is genetic not Iron deficit. If a new doctor sees my labs they assume I am Iron deficit. I have to tell them extra iron is not good for me and it will not change my level of anemia. I would love to have a 12.4 hemoglobin.

Are you a carrier of beta thalassemia ??

I am always anemic but it is genetic not Iron deficit. If a new doctor sees my labs they assume I am Iron deficit. I have to tell them extra iron is not good for me and it will not change my level of anemia. I would love to have a 12.4 hemoglobin.

I suffer quite a bit more than just a carrier. But yes it is beta thalassemia.

Sorry to hear about that. My grandmother is a carrier of beta thalassemia and suffered from low Hb all her life. I'm a carrier of sickle cell and unfortunately my child is sickle cell diseased.. His Hb will be 9 at its best..

Edited by mmy

Ok so I went in for my first post-op blood work up.. The tests are done for free where I live. So I went to the GP with the doctors list of tests needed post-op which includes Iron levels. The GP said she will do a CBC first and only in case my HB was low then she will do an Iron level test(to cut cost). However she did ordered for all Vitamin levels test in the doctors list. My Hb levels came back @12.4 so she said there is no need to test for iron levels. I have not been taking an iron supplement and my Multivitamins does not include iron. Does this mean that I'm still absorbing iron well from my food?! Do I really need an iron level test?!

Some people have good iron absorption and don't need any, ever. I have, most of my life, had a Hb of 12-14 which is really on the high side for a woman. My hemophiliac half-sister dreams of having an 8.

While anything is possible, I can't remember any situation from nursing school where someone could have a Hb of 12 and be iron deficient. I wouldn't think an iron test would be all that useful if you don't have any symptoms of iron deficiency and your H/H stays high.

Ok so I went in for my first post-op blood work up.. The tests are done for free where I live. So I went to the GP with the doctors list of tests needed post-op which includes Iron levels. The GP said she will do a CBC first and only in case my HB was low then she will do an Iron level test(to cut cost). However she did ordered for all Vitamin levels test in the doctors list. My Hb levels came back @12.4 so she said there is no need to test for iron levels. I have not been taking an iron supplement and my Multivitamins does not include iron. Does this mean that I'm still absorbing iron well from my food?! Do I really need an iron level test?!

Some people have good iron absorption and don't need any, ever. I have, most of my life, had a Hb of 12-14 which is really on the high side for a woman. My hemophiliac half-sister dreams of having an 8.

While anything is possible, I can't remember any situation from nursing school where someone could have a Hb of 12 and be iron deficient. I wouldn't think an iron test would be all that useful if you don't have any symptoms of iron deficiency and your H/H stays high.

Then why do Bariatric doctors ask for ferritin levels test always. Why don't they check the Hb first and then order for ferritin tests if the Hb is low??!! That's why i got confused.

Ok so I went in for my first post-op blood work up.. The tests are done for free where I live. So I went to the GP with the doctors list of tests needed post-op which includes Iron levels. The GP said she will do a CBC first and only in case my HB was low then she will do an Iron level test(to cut cost). However she did ordered for all Vitamin levels test in the doctors list. My Hb levels came back @12.4 so she said there is no need to test for iron levels. I have not been taking an iron supplement and my multivitamins does not include iron. Does this mean that I'm still absorbing iron well from my food?! Do I really need an iron level test?!

Then why do Bariatric doctors ask for ferritin levels test always. Why don't they check the Hb first and then order for ferritin tests if the Hb is low??!! That's why i got confused.

My doc doesn't ask for ferritin levels unless my hemoglobin/hematocrit/RBC count is low, but low ferritin levels can be a precursor to low hemoglobin. Sounds like your doctor is very proactive and wants to catch an iron issue before it develops into a Hct, Hgb or RBC issue. Ferritin level is indicative of your iron stores, it's the Protein that stores iron inside cells.

Edited by ShelterDog64

Sorry to hear about that. My grandmother is a carrier of beta thalassemia and suffered from low Hb all her life. I'm a carrier of sickle cell and unfortunately my child is sickle cell diseased.. His Hb will be 9 at its best..

I am so sorry about your child. My HB is 9.0 on good days.